+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Cruise Weekend 2014 Report

I'm a week late with this, but wanted to capture my experiences from Cruise Weekend 2014. Overall it was an excellent few days. I was down with my two brothers and a friend of ours. We don't have a cruiser, but did put magnetic flames on the sides of our Chrysler and Volvo!

Notably, the new ordinance seemed to have significantly reduced the number of people riding around in the backs of pickup trucks, which made the streets more cruiser dominated - a good thing!

You can see picts of many of the Cruisers at my Flickr photo site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kschwa...7644357076558/

Arrived Wednesday evening after taking took the Route 404 route from Virginia, made great time, 3 hours flat. After the others arrived from Connecticut, headed to the Raw Bar at Harrison's Harbor Watch. This is always a first stop, and it never disappoints. Excellent Oysters and Martinis were enjoyed, followed by dinner in the downstairs dining room with a great view of the inlet. Had the crabcakes, which were very good, others had various tuna and rockfish items that were also very good. Walked down the boardwalk to the Cork Bar and Bearded Clam, which were fun as always. Was disappointed that the Pour House was not open, as we enjoy playing a round of Golden Tee there most years. Headed down to the Purple Moose, played some Keyno (lost) and called it a night.

Thursday went to the Frog Bar for breakfast. Solid breakfast with an outstanding view of the inlet. They don't start serving Bloody Marys until 9, so we stayed until then, enjoyed one, and then headed over to the parking lot to see the cruisers. We don't usually go to see the cars until Saturday, as there seem to be more of them on the weekends, but the weather was great and the lot was full. Saw lots of excellent cars at both the Inlet and the Convention Center. Ate lunch at Longboards Cafe on 67th. Had the restaurant week special - soup and sandwich for $10. Great crab soup and Oyster Po'Boy. If you go there, try the Wrinkled Green Beans - they're off the hook good! Headed to Fish Tales for dinner. Got the Conch Fritters and Cheese and Bacon Fries - both excellent. I had the Crabby Mac & Cheese for dinner, which was great and made me feel like a kid again. Others had the Fish Tacos, Seafood Burrito, and Tuna, also all outstanding. I really like this place too, but it can be tough to get into in July and August.

Friday was a rain out and it hard rained pretty much all day. Ate breakfast at Barn 34, which was excellent. The place is very nice and they have a great looking bar upstairs. It is nothing like the old Pirates Galley/Pirates Den (it is much nicer). They have typical breakfast fare, but also have preserved the special breakfast items from the former Pirate's Galley. I had the Crabby Eggs which were excellent. Others and the Crab Benedict and Capt'n Crunch French Toast - you can't go wrong with any of these. Since it was raining, our options were limited - we decided to head up to the Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton, DE. The rain, plus it being American Craft Beer week, brought out a pretty big crowd, but the beers they had on tap were really good (and interesting) and the 90 minute tour of the brewery was very cool. They can brew 300 barrels at that facility, but they also have the 10 gallon system that started the whole business on display right next to the 200 barrel system. I highly recommend a visit there if you enjoy beer and are looking for something to do some morning or afternoon. Returned to OC and planned to go to the Crab Bag, but they were packed. Instead, we went to Bahama Mamas. I've been there many times before and always had good luck, but I had not been to the new 33rd Street location. I did not like anything about it. The crabs were lousy (lacked taste, almost seemed like re-heats), the atmosphere looks like they bought every choc-key from the beach decor section of Roses, and the service was poor too. They've moved to my do not EVER return list. After dinner, headed back to the south end of the boards with quick visits to the Cork Bar and Bearded Clam and then spent some time playing Golden Tee at the Pour House. Great DJ that night at the Pour House too.

Saturday we headed out early for some Fractured Prune and the Cruisin' Parade on the boardwalk. The 28th Street Prune was having an equipment issue and said they would not be open until after 8 (or perhaps someone overslept...), so we headed to the Somerset Street location. It opened at 8 and we enjoyed some great hot donuts and saw lots of cool cars. After the parade, we headed to Ocean Resorts for a round of golf. This is a nice nearby course (just west of 589 and south of Route 90) where both non-golfers (like me) and more experienced golfers (like my brothers) can have a great time together. It's $49 for 18 holes, including the cart. I had a few solid shots and one or two great puts, but couldn't string together a solid set against any hole the whole day. Headed to Seacrets after golf for some Dirty Bananas, Rum Runners, and Jerk Chicken. Weather was great, and the place was packed. Enjoyed people watching for a few hours on the Seacrets beach. Headed to The Grove Market for dinner, which was outstanding.

Sunday got up early and headed home. Left OC at about 8am and was home in Virginia before 11am. Took Route 50 and made excellent time.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the mention of Longboards. I bought a Landmarks Great Deal for there figuring that since we stay close (on 63rd), we'd make it up there at some point during our week. Glad you had good food -- I liked the look of the menu.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable weekend. We don't travel until September, but I'm anxiously planning our trip!

Sand Dollars
    You sure make the most of your days in OC. We had a great time as well. But apparently, the residents are NOT happy with Cruisin weekend and brought it to City Council. When it came right down to it, the cruisers didn't appear to be the problem, but instead, it was a truck show in the area and lots and lots of these big diesel truckers were driving Coastal blowing the black smoke and making everyone miserable. I am expecting to see changes next year, because the organizers of the Cruise In show have said that they also do these shows in other towns and would be just as happy to do it there if OC isn't happy. Fingers crossed that they'll get it resolved.
    All in all, Thursday and Saturday were great for car viewing, Friday we spent dodging raindrops and window shopping and touring Berlin. It was another nice weekend for sure.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Sounds like you had ANOTHER great trip! Thanks for taking the time to write up this report. Also, I don't think I've talked to you since we seen each other back in April, and I've been meaning to tell you, we tried Longboards, later that night, and everything was excellent! I had the "Ahi Burger" which is a lil misleading because when I think burger - i think GROUND (just sayin)... However, the description clearly say's it's a "steak", and I'm happy to say it lived up to my expectations. The tuna was seared to perfection (bright pink all the way through), the ginger-wasbi aioli, gave it some much needed acidity, while the slaw provided the kinda "crunch" I'm looking for, when chowing down on a sandwich based on such a delicate protein - like RARE tuna! We sat at the bar, everybody we encountered were polite, welcoming, and appreciated our patronage, of their business. ---Also, the bartender said YOU were in there earlier, he didn't know your name, but described you to a T! Thank you, for turning me on to this place!

Z, Crusin & bike week, are 2-3 times a year, to those residents complaining I say (& I've been saying this for years) - You're living in a resort town...GET OVER IT!
    Last edited by DeanM; 05-27-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Sand Dollars
    OCG...how many was in your golfing group? I ask because they let me go off as a single several years ago (I don't have 3 traveling golf buddies). I was happy!

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the pics. I recognized a few of the cars from local shows here and past Cruisin OC events.

Sand Dollars
    @captpat - We just had 4 of us in our group, so it was pretty standard. However, I've seen plenty of singles at Ocean Resorts over the years.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

Z, Crusin & bike week, are 2-3 times a year, to those residents complaining I say (& I've been saying this for years) - You're living in a resort town...GET OVER IT!

Cannot agree more! It's a resort town, it's not YOUR town! But they will always moan and groan with every season. I think the town realizes that Cruise In is a huge financial boost to OC and the town will be of the mindset to do whatever they can to keep it there for years to come. The dates are already set for next year for Cruisin. I'm hoping that these other groups will choose different weekends.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    ...it was a truck show in the area and lots and lots of these big diesel truckers were driving Coastal blowing the black smoke and making everyone miserable.
    Thanks for clearing that up (about the truck show). I too noticed that it was these big hillbilly trucks that were the problem. Gunning it at every light. It absolutely aggravated me that cops were not pulling these guys over (to the degree that I would have liked). For some reason these fools think that their big diesel trucks are impressively fast. Fools. (I am a "car guy" myself but had the family truckster down that weekend...gggrrrr...)
    I remember at one light this truck was revving his engine and next to him was a Nissan GTR. (I was thinking "This truck guy can't be serious) The light turned green and the truck just gunned it off the light squealing wheels and black smoke everywhere. The Nissan didn't race him. The whole time I am thinking, what an idiot that truck driver is. That Nissan GTR would absolutely destroy him in a stoplight race.

Other than the trucks, the only thing that annoyed me was the traffic and noise. But they are minor annoyances. It took me 20 mins to get from 136th-120th streets on Saturday. (I didn't expect this....this was like July 4th weekend traffic) The noise was more of an issue with not letting me fall asleep. My kids luckily can sleep through that.

Sand Dollars
    It's going to be interesting to hear what the residents have to say after this weekend.
    Unofficial College Bash weekend, senior week, beach soccer tournament , youth lacrosse tournament, VFW convention, and the MML convention ALL in town for the weekend.
    I'll be watching the webcams closely, Might be that after this weekend, the Cruisers will be a fond memory!!
    Ask an OC Insider