Thread: Sand dollars

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Sand dollars

Z, (& others) brought up a good question the other day regarding "Sand Dollars" in another thread. I believe the topic deserves it's own thread vs. being the off topic spin off of another, so here ya go...

First let me just say that I myself have mixed emotions about the Sand Dollar program, in general. I remember when it was first instituted. It resulted in the biggest influx of activity that I've ever seen. It increased traffic to both the site, & the forum. People were posting so much that if you stayed away for a few days you had a lot of reading to do in order to get caught up. It's easy to see how such a huge surge in activity, would peak the interest of not only more readers, but of local business owners who were looking to advertise their establishments via gift cards to members based on a point system. ---- However, While it brought the forum up to a whole new level, these kind of incentives -like most things in life - bring out the best & worst. Unfortunately the increase in activity, also inspired people to try and rack points up by "any means necessary" ie, cut & pasting anything even remotely to do with OC, unnecessary postings, "accidental double" postings, multiple false profiles, talking about nothing, flame wars, I can even remember a member simply posting "I agree" on everything that was anything just to rack up points... Aside from just being distasteful, this sort of behavior could have direct NEGATIVE effect from the business owners perspective. Put yourselves in their shoes for half a second, and imagine you have a guy out in your dining room eating a free meal, because he fights with HIMSELF on his computer everyday???

So those are my own thoughts about this program. As you can tell I've spent a good amount of time assessing the situation. I have some ideas on how it could be improved, but I don't run this site, nor do I work here. I'm just a guy that post in the forum occasionally.

As far as the administrators are concerned, I would encourage them to not only make a decision, but then get out in front of this, and address the forum and give the members an explanation in regards to the future of the Sand Dollar program - are we going forward, or is it to be scrapped altogether?

Thank you for hearing me out.
    Dean.
    Last edited by DeanM; 04-09-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Sand Dollars
    Here is a thought. Maybe reduce the number of sand dollars one can earn per post, whether it is a reply to a current thread or starting a new thread. As it stands now, I think it is 10 sand dollars added to your account for starting a new thread and 3 sand dollars added when replying to a thread. Maybe reduce that to 5 and 1 sand dollars respectively. Also, increase (a little bit) the number of sand dollars needed to redeem an item.

As far as the other things mentioned in your post Dean (unnecessary postings, "accidental double" postings, multiple false profiles, talking about nothing, flame wars) maybe a way to deal with those types incidents would be not to give credit into that persons sand dollar account. Something else to give thought about would be to institute a "3 strikes and you're out policy" from the forum. So if someone was in violation of the above things you mentioned specifically the multiple false profiles, talking about nothing, flame wars, they could receive 3 warnings (and a loss of sand dollars for each warning and set an amount depending on the infraction) before they got the boot from the forum forever. This way the forum would/could be an active/fun place like it use to be and cut down on people trying to rack up sand dollar points by any means necessary.
    common sense is not so common

Sand Dollars
    All good ideas bar, and like I said I have a few of my own, but I'm not sure that we're at a place where we (as members) are supposed to be pitching ideas - after all nobody's really asking what we think. - right??? lol

I just posted my personal feeling on the program, not that anything should be done about the way "I" view things, I was simply stating my take on it...

The real reason behind my post was to prompt the site to take some action on it, one way or the other - I know if I were just joining this site, I'd be wondering what's going on with the "out of stock" quote attached to every item in the store. It looks goofy (for lack of a better word).

Sand Dollars
    I agree with everyone's comments.

Sand Dollars
    I agree with everyone's comments.

Edit: Whoops double post.

Sorry, I had too....

Sand Dollars
    Dean,
    Agree with all your points. In particular, I think anything that would increase the level of activity here would be good.

Sand Dollars
    I for one, thoroughly enjoyed and took advantage of the sand dollars. I used them several times and would definitely use them again if they're still good. It was nice to get $25 off my bill at a restaurant like the Captain's Table. I'm not a millionaire and that helped. So if there is a chance to use them again.....I'm all for it!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    DeanM,

I agree wholeheartedly. As a member who weathered that storm of double posts, multiple profiles, constant arguments and attacks, I agree that the Sand Dollars brought the good and the bad. (Remember when you used to get a Dollar if someone gave you a "thumbs up" for a comment and lost a Dollar when you got a "thumbs down"? What a mess that created!) Overall, I think the Sand Dollar Program had more positives than negatives and could definitely work if done the right way. I would love to see this forum get back to what it was. I think OceanCity.com needs to use this time to right now (beginning of Vacation Season) to promote this Forum. I think if they posted a Banner on their Homepage to inform people that this forum can help them in making various decisions about their vacation, they could get new people in the forum quite quickly.

Sand Dollars
    Not to go too much off topic but I do not understand the Sand dollar program and I am having a hard time finding nfo on it, on the page/forum......any help?

Sand Dollars
    Basically Kris, the Sand Dollar program was/is a reward program whereby you are rewarded for your activity on this forum. Each time you start a thread, comment on a post or people reply to a thread you started, you get a specified amount of Sand Dollars. You could then use those Sand Dollars to purchase various gift certificates at select restaurants/businesses. Here is a link to the page: http://www.oceancity.com/sand-dollar-rewards-center