+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Ocean City Tradition

The winter blues are in full force right now and I need a pick me up. My thoughts drift to the beach and my summer vacation. I am putting another topic of discussion out there (I might have put this one out there before, but it never hurts to start anew and get a discussion going.): Do you have any Ocean City traditions that you and/or your family do every year at the beach? I'm sure almost everyone does "the basics" (i.e. night at the Boardwalk, mini golf, night at a favorite restaurant, etc.), but do you do something that isn't a common thing to do that others might find interesting?

When I was in my early teens, my dad used to take me over to Rosecroft Raceway (later named Delmarva Downs and now Ocean Downs). I started buying a race program early in the morning and studied the races. I used to have a blast having my dad bet on races for me. I think the most I ever won was $30, which was a big night for a 14 year old in the mid/late 80s. For the last two years, my family has started going back to the track. My 11 and 14 year old sons have had fun betting on the horses with me. Lately, that has been our tradition.

Do you guys do anything "different" that would be a good idea for other to do while at OC?

Sand Dollars
    We have a few traditions but none that I would say are unique. Our family always hits the Boardwalk on our 2nd Sunday down and spend an entire day doing wrist bands at Trimpers. We get all of our amusement park riding in and then hit the Boardwalk for dinner. Another annual tradition is our day trip to Berlin. We normally reserve this for a miserably hot day or rainy so we don't waste any good beach time at Assateague. The children always enjoy hitting the local indoor flea markets and up until last year, we normally enjoyed lunch at a place called Goobers, unfortunately that little diner closed up last year.

One other small tradition that got started back in the early 2000's was our trek to a crab house. We've now made Captain Joe's Shrimp Boat our crabhouse of choice although my wife and I will enjoy getting some time at Crab Alley.

Apart from that, we just enjoy the time as a family getting away from the real world and relaxing on the beach. We also enjoy an evening walk over the pedestrian bridge at Assateague.

Really hoping that this summer we can continue to do what we do. I am currently fighting a heart issue that I found out about 4 weeks ago. If they can't get things straightened out, it is going to severely impact much of what we do down there.

Sand Dollars
    I hope everything works out flaggerjohn. Don't underestimate the power of positive thinking!!

Sand Dollars
    Our family is shrinking, at one time we took all 5 kids to O.C., but one by one they moved on... Now it's just the wife and I, and our youngest (he's 10) so many of our "traditions" have slowly fallen by the by the way side. One thing we've been able to salvage though, is our tradition of making our last stop in town for Layton's donuts! Generally we have about half of em eaten before we hit the Md/Pa line, and finish the rest of em up after we unload the luggage.

John, As Britt said, hope everything works out, and try & stay positive!

Sand Dollars
    I need to get some Layton's Donuts. I love Fractured Prune donuts so much, that I always forget to get some while I'm down there. I am adding this to my "OC To Do" list.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt4duke View Post
    I need to get some Layton's Donuts. I love Fractured Prune donuts so much, that I always forget to get some while I'm down there. I am adding this to my "OC To Do" list.
    I like both, but (IMO) Fractured Prune are more like dessert donuts, where Layton's are more in line with traditional breakfast donuts... + Fractured Prune are best when fresh - Can't really imagine eating a hot, sticky, messy, Blueberry Hill, while fighting the traffic at 65+mph crossing the Bay Bridge.

Sand Dollars
    One somewhat odd tradition that my family and I used to have when I was growing up was taking an evening and hitting the malls uptown. This started in the summer of 1989, when I was eight, and we stayed at a condo called Discovery off 94th St. We would go to the Ocean Plaza Mall and Gold Coast Mall. Each mall had good bookstores, baseball card shops, and a Dollar Store. Sometimes, my father and I would go to baseball card shows at the Ocean Plaza Mall.

When we started staying in West OC in 1993, we still took a night to go uptown to the malls for an evening. This tradition lasted for all of my week long family trips, the last being in 2001. The Ocean Plaza Mall closed soon after.

However, in the summer of 2007, my folks and I stopped by the Gold Coast Mall one night after having dinner at the Fenwick Crab House. It was in the high 90s at 9pm, and was actually too hot for the Boardwalk.

Sand Dollars
    In all of the years we've been going to OC, we really don't have a "tradition". We always do a buffet, have Fisher's on the boards, usually spend time at night sitting across from the Purple Moose watching the drunks fall out the door (LOL), and during Cruisn weekends, we always head to Gold Coast Mall and grab a pizza at 3 Brothers and enjoy it on the patio while watching the cars.

Our traditions were more on the way down to the ocean....... we'd take a cooler and stop at the Maryland Welcome Center and have sandwiches and drinks, then stop again somewhere between there and OC. But lately it's been stop in Breezewood for a breakfast sandwich, or a pit stop, and then we always stop at Arby's in Cambridge for either a bite or pit stop and drink.
    Guess we're just not "traditional" people.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    One somewhat odd tradition that my family and I used to have when I was growing up was taking an evening and hitting the malls uptown. This started in the summer of 1989, when I was eight, and we stayed at a condo called Discovery off 94th St. We would go to the Ocean Plaza Mall and Gold Coast Mall. Each mall had good bookstores, baseball card shops, and a Dollar Store. Sometimes, my father and I would go to baseball card shows at the Ocean Plaza Mall.

When we started staying in West OC in 1993, we still took a night to go uptown to the malls for an evening. This tradition lasted for all of my week long family trips, the last being in 2001. The Ocean Plaza Mall closed soon after.

However, in the summer of 2007, my folks and I stopped by the Gold Coast Mall one night after having dinner at the Fenwick Crab House. It was in the high 90s at 9pm, and was actually too hot for the Boardwalk.
    We always used to go to the malls too. My dad and I used to play Keno in the food court for hours. The lady that worked at that little book store had to go crazy with the people running tickets all day. My kids and I still go to the Gold Coast Mall once each trip to go to Hatland.

Sand Dollars
    When we were just coming as visitors - at least one night was take out from Phillips and another from English's (now closed). The boardwalk at least a couple of times - Dad would go play bingo and Mom and I did the rides. Several nights we did dinner out - and always tried at least one new restaurant each visit. At least one time we would also stop at the Lifesaving Station Museum at the Inlet to check out the new exhibits.

Dad moved back to OC for good in '82 and I'm still in the area, but I lost both my parents last year - so now I'm getting ready to start someone else's Ocean City memories & traditions as I get the condo ready to rent - I hope!