Thread: Making plans

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    I will be down there for Airshow weekend this year and my usual trip over Labor day week. MLM it all depends on the weather forecast I think. Labor day has been nice the past few years and so it gets super packed on Fri-Mon. If you go out on Tues though after labor day you can have most of the beach to yourself at least up in North OC where I stay.

Sand Dollars
    What's nice is that things are staying open longer now. Last season, the rides stayed open after Labor Day (first time) during the week because that week is becoming more popular. It's a good thing.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Dean you sailing with the mouse again?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpa View Post
    Dean you sailing with the mouse again?
    Yea, I'm trying to make that a yearly event.

Sand Dollars
    We too have been doing Disney. After four years of WDW we rode the Dream last year for 4 nights. This year back to WDW and the Beach Club. The boat was a lot of fun but it was hard to "hit" everything in 4 days. We go to WDW for a week so we have a more stable plan of attack. Not really a vacation but an experience for the parents.

brianpa

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpa View Post
    We too have been doing Disney. After four years of WDW we rode the Dream last year for 4 nights. This year back to WDW and the Beach Club. The boat was a lot of fun but it was hard to "hit" everything in 4 days. We go to WDW for a week so we have a more stable plan of attack. Not really a vacation but an experience for the parents.

brianpa
    Not to hi-jack this thread, but....
    This will be our 4th cruise w/em, our first was a 4 niter, after that we've been doing 7 nights. When you only do 4 it's hard, because the first night you're unsettled from the check in, and you lose the last night because you have to get your luggage together & outside your cabin by 8, so basically you only really get 2 full days & nights to relax.

To put things back on track (slightly) - The real shame of it is we can do a 7 night cruise, that includes: staying in a veranda stateroom, unlimited meals (& everybody knows how picky I am when it comes to food), unlimited entertainment ie, shows, night clubs, new release movies, kids clubs with insane video gaming, ect.ect. + 1400 crew members bending over backwards to wait on you, FOR LESS than the price of staying 7 nights during July in a hotel in Ocean City! ~ where all you get is the room, and that's it... other than the right to fight for a lounge chair next to the pool (a.k.a. "the towel game"). This is part of the reason that peak season in this town is losing it's appeal to me & my family.

Sooner or later I think this town needs to take a hard look in the mirror and see that they are pricing people out during the summer months. For me, it's not a question really "IF" I can afford it - it's a question of "SHOULD" I ? Am I really getting enough bang for my buck??

More and more, Spring & Fall, are looking like much better options for us.... *shrug*

Sand Dollars
    Absolutely agree Dean. We haven't done a summer trip in about 6 years. This year we got a great deal the last week of summer in a building and unit we've stayed in many times before. Otherwise, it would be off season. BUT I am one of those who actually ENJOY off season more.
    The cost for condos and hotels is the reason why people go to Myrtle Beach instead of OC. It's worth it to drive several hours more to save all the money!! I think OC's mindset is that they're the closest beach to DC and the $$ there, so why not charge top dollar? The down side of that is that those with $$ are going elsewhere!! And OC is losing its "family friendly" status. It's a shame really.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Z you nailed it. I think it is the DC money. My buddy near Breezewood in Pa talks about the price of hunting land going through the roof. The numbers of DC people only grows and they have $ to spend. Look at the property prices there. OC is only so big and a lot of people want ocean front in July. We went to OC in September for years until my kids were school age. Now we go toward the end of August when the first price drop hits.

Like you Dean I don't want to spend that money if I don't need to. We do other things throughout the year. We just started looking at the plaza for our week and a lot of the summer is booked already so that means prices are not coming down.

When I was a kid in late 70's and 80's my entire extended family would come down to OC. I am talking grandma, aunts, uncles cousins. We would have 20 or more in 3 condos. That went on for years. I still come with my kids and my parents join us. But the rest of the family and now their small kids all go to the OBX or Virginia Beach. Every winter the emails go out about organizing the trip and where to go, but OC is shot down immediately. The reason is price. They want to go in July and they are all coming from southwest PA.

As long as long as they don't take away the Delmarva cuisine I will keep coming back. (after the price drop).

Dean: Long story but we had no choice but the 4 night cruise. I agree when we do it agian it will be 7. Like George Costanza I need time to decompress.

brianpa
    Last edited by brianpa; 01-23-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Sand Dollars
    My niece will be two this year. I'm wondering what will happen in a couple of years when she hits school age. I don't know if I can go back to dealing with the crowds of summer. And like everyone has been saying -- let's not even consider the prices. The place we are staying is booked up for July and August, but the price for the last week of June is $5,200. I'm sure July and August prices are higher. By going in September, we are paying less than half of that.

With any vacation, demand is what is driving prices. Every other year, we go to Florida and end up paying more for four nights there than we do for our part of the week in Ocean City. This is simply because we choose to go in March when the demand is high.

People are still willing to pay the prices to go to Ocean City. Those of us who cut back or change our destinations aren't bothering people much -- as it has been said, there are more than enough others willing to take our place. That's one reason why I insist on booking so early (I actually prefer having it done before Thanksgiving). I know if we don't grab the place we want, someone else definitely will.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by brookie848 View Post
    With any vacation, demand is what is driving prices. Every other year, we go to Florida and end up paying more for four nights there than we do for our part of the week in Ocean City. This is simply because we choose to go in March when the demand is high.

People are still willing to pay the prices to go to Ocean City. Those of us who cut back or change our destinations aren't bothering people much -- as it has been said, there are more than enough others willing to take our place. That's one reason why I insist on booking so early (I actually prefer having it done before Thanksgiving). I know if we don't grab the place we want, someone else definitely will.
    I'm not certain that demand alone is driving prices in OC across the board... I think greed, arrogance, and denial, play a HUGE roll here as well. While I'm sure that your particular condo unit, and a lot of others are in high demand during the summer, statistics show, that this past summer, tourism to the town was down 23.5% the first weeks of both June & July compared to the previous year. Matter of fact it was down 9 out of the 12 weeks of summer. Keep in mind this was a summer where neighboring beaches to the north where wiped out by hurricane Sandy. 23.5% drop is substantial, but it begs the question - How much further would that drop have been WITHOUT the vacationers from the Jersey Shore, supplementing the numbers?

I myself have been vacationing the week of July 4th (pretty much the peak of "peak season") for many years, and some of the things I've noticed are more & more vacancy signs each year, people booking shorter stays, and less wait time in restaurants...I believe that a number of property owners/managers are in disbelief, and actually thrive on blowing smoke up the a$$ of the potential customer - making it seem like their places are in hot demand, and( ignoring) the very fact that tourism is down for the 4th straight year in a row for the resort.
    CASE IN POINT: This past 4th I switched gears, and did a rental in place of a hotel, The place normally books for $4200 a week, I offered them $2500 on the first we ek of June, they said there was "no way they could do it".... So to make a long story short they called me back the week before the 4th saying that I could have it for the price I asked them for a month ago. I told them that things had changed on my end... I made a new offer for $2000, and not only did they accept it, but I got them to waive the security deposit, and they threw in the linen service!

I wasn't trying to "teach them a lesson", or trying to spite them, it just simply came down to a matter of value to me.
    Last edited by DeanM; 01-28-2014 at 01:02 AM.