+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

1st trip to OC @ Thanksgiving

just got back from a 5 day stay in OC. The weather was good considering it was late november. Got carry out (papa johns) the first night we were there and ate in the condo the rest of the nights. We went down to the inlet on the weekend for some fun/shopping. As far as things being open, it was hit or miss mostly. had a good time and hope to go back to OC sometime in the future.

Sand Dollars

Re: 1st trip to OC @ Thanksgiving

Glad you had a good time. Try and plan a visit sometime in May or early September if you're not into the whole "summer crowd" thing. May and September are off season, but the weather is better and much more is open if not all. I love the off season, but like a bit of crowds a little bit more.

lrc4oc
    Sand Dollars

we just got back from our traditional Thanksgiving weekend at the beach and had a great time. We have been doing this for 16 years or more and it is such an enjoyable time. Our daughter, son-in-law and grandson started going down when he was a baby and then friends of our daughter and their two sons started joining us. Now eight years later we have a 18 year old and 2 sixteen year old, all boys so on Friday the women usually hit the Shoppers Fair and the men take the kids up to the arcades and then toss a football around on the beach. Then we meet up for lunch, this year it was Smitty Mcgee's on Route 54. If we can talk the boys into it we go to see the lights at Northside Park and either go out to dinner or just order in and just have some good old family fun. This year on Saturday we all went to the boardwalk, the boys going to the arcades and the adults stopped into the Purple Moose and then we met up and decided to try Dead Freddies for a late lunch. The food was very good and a lot of it. I had the seafood wrap and it was delicious. several of our crowd had the Humdinger Burger and it was huge while others had the Quesadillas and actually brought some home. Then it was back to the condo for all of the guys to watch football and the girls went shopping. We were so full from lunch that we didn't want any dinner so our tradition carried on that night with the watching of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It doesn't matter how many times we have seen this movie we still are all laughing and just having a good time. The kids even know the dialogue of the movie and that makes it even funnier.
    So by this time we are now getting hungry but no one wants to go out so we order pizza and subs and just kick back and enjoy some great company. All in all it was a wonderful weekend as always.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by lrc4oc

we just got back from our traditional Thanksgiving weekend at the beach and had a great time. We have been doing this for 16 years or more and it is such an enjoyable time. Our daughter, son-in-law and grandson started going down when he was a baby and then friends of our daughter and their two sons started joining us. Now eight years later we have a 18 year old and 2 sixteen year old, all boys so on Friday the women usually hit the Shoppers Fair and the men take the kids up to the arcades and then toss a football around on the beach. Then we meet up for lunch, this year it was Smitty Mcgee's on Route 54. If we can talk the boys into it we go to see the lights at Northside Park and either go out to dinner or just order in and just have some good old family fun. This year on Saturday we all went to the boardwalk, the boys going to the arcades and the adults stopped into the Purple Moose and then we met up and decided to try Dead Freddies for a late lunch. The food was very good and a lot of it. I had the seafood wrap and it was delicious. several of our crowd had the Humdinger Burger and it was huge while others had the Quesadillas and actually brought some home. Then it was back to the condo for all of the guys to watch football and the girls went shopping. We were so full from lunch that we didn't want any dinner so our tradition carried on that night with the watching of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It doesn't matter how many times we have seen this movie we still are all laughing and just having a good time. The kids even know the dialogue of the movie and that makes it even funnier.
    So by this time we are now getting hungry but no one wants to go out so we order pizza and subs and just kick back and enjoy some great company. All in all it was a wonderful weekend as always.

Sounds ideal. Can I come next year? lol

lrc4oc
    Sand Dollars

Sure, the more the merrier.

Sand Dollars

lrc4oc,

I have some turkey friends, can I bring them?? Glad ya had a good time. OC is a great place for folks that want to break the "routine".

Sand Dollars

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences bar2008, and Irc4oc, Just curious, what did you for Thanksgiving itself? Did either of you make a tradditional turkey dinner while in OC??

Sand Dollars

For Thanksgiving my mother fixed a turkey dinner: Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, baked potatoes, biscuits/rolls, champagne and for dessert we had pumpkin roll and cheesecake.

Sand Dollars

Christmas Vacation is one of my all-time favorite movies. I watch it at least once every year, and it always makes me laugh. "I just don't want to spend the holidays DEAD, Clarke!"

lrc4oc
    Sand Dollars

We got to OC Friday morning around 9:30 had breakfast at Happy Jacks and then met up with friends. Thanksgiving day was spent with our other daughter's family and extended family. We had the traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings. We use to travel down to OC on Thanksgiving night but we were all so full and exhausted from eating so much we just decided to start out early on Friday morning. I made a small turkey at home on Wednesday and sliced it all up, made dressing, took cranberry sauce and on Friday night we all had good turkey sandwiches. Yummy!