+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Barefoot mailman

Decided to take the long way back from Va Beach this weekend and did a quick swing through OC for a one nite stay. Because we had our dog with us, options are pretty limited as the town (unlike Va. Beach) isn't overly pet friendly... We decided to give the Barefoot Mailman a whirl. I've always had a preconceived notion about places that accept pets - images of stains on bed spreads, fleas leaping out from the pet soiled carpet, the lingering smell of cheap air freshener trying to mask the stench of a thousand filthy animals past... And don't even get me started with the idea of what the towels and wash cloths might have been used t clean up!

It was late in the evening when we rolled into town on Sunday night. Sunfest was over mere hours ago, but already the place resembled a ghost town. Vacancy signs from the inlet up as far as you could see~ that is until we reached The Barefoot Mailman! When my wife called to make the reservation that morning the guy told her there was only one room left, I figured it was a sales tactic, but true to his word it was sold out. While I waited in the car outside the office I started getting a bad feeling, I think I even muttered something to myself like "what the Hell are we doing here?". The check in seemed to take forever, when she got back to the car I asked if she needed to give her grandmothers maiden name, and blood type??? She explained that it was an old guy working the desk, and she was pretty sure he'd been there his whole life... When she handed me the room key, I felt like I passed through a time warp as I reached out and grabbed the blue,7inch plastic diamond shaped key chain that sported an actual KEY - straight out of the 70's!
    Parking is typical for OC, I was lucky enough to find a spot right by the elevator. The elevator could possible qualify for a museum. It was better than the steps, but doubt it was faster...

Now the main event - Entering the room. Upon turning the ancient key I was bracing myself for what might be behind this old wooden door. To my surprise, and much to my delight, I found a large, CLEAN, recently updated room. The bathroom had a one piece tub/shower, new toilet, & sink. An additional sink/ vanity outside the bathroom was also newer. The beds were fitted with new euro top mattresses (I have no idea what they are but I wasn't crippled in the morning). The place was very spacious and there was plenty of room to place our large dog crate, and luggage. The only negative I could say, was there were a few stains on the carpet, but beach motels/hotels take a heck of a beating especially in THIS town, and Ive definitely paid more and seen worse! I would absolutely stay here again, would not be my first choice of places to stay because of it's lack of beach front location, but THAT is not something they can help.... As I mentioned Ocean City is NOT a pet friendly vacation destination, so you can't really get to picky as far as location is concerned.

Sand Dollars
    Another good one is the Comfort Suites in West OC. We stayed there last year without knowing it was pet friendly and we were very surprised to learn it because you just couldn't tell! Plus they have a pet rest area that's fenced off so your pup can run a little bit. Glad to know that the Mailman is still a decent place to stay.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    How much extra does the Barefoot Mailman charge for a pet? Comfort Suites in West O.C. charges $35/night extra per pet. That's the same cost as a kennel.

Sand Dollars
    They charge a $10 pet fee.

I completely forgot about the comfort in in WOC! Probably a nicer place (definitely newer) Barefoot got em beat as far as location goes, but staying off season I'd give em a shot ~ might just have to plan another road trip for comparison purposes....

Another trip to OC???

*sigh* the lengths I won't go too for R&D on this board......

Sand Dollars
    Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as you expected Dean..
    .I would have assumed the same. Don't forget The Grand allows pets on the second floor only...not sure when they start allowing them though.

Sand Dollars
    Dean, I can't compare the 2 places as I've never been to the Barefoot Mailman, but Comfort in O.C. is very nice. The breakfast ins't bad either. It's been about 3 years since I last stayed there though. Another perk for me regarding that place is I belong to Choice Privileges Points club so I get points for staying there.

Sand Dollars
    Dean did you happen to do a trip report or food report for Virginia Beach on another forum anywhere? I haven't been there since I was a kid & I wouldn't mind going there again sometime.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the input everybody, I'll use this thread as a future point of reference next time we're planing a trip with the dog. I didn't know about the Grand, but seeing how dogs aren't allowed on the beach till after Oct 1st, I'm betting they don't open that 2nd floor up for pets till Oct. - could be wrong? Next time I'll call em though...

Melanie, I did not.... Like you this was my first time there since I was a kid, so we pretty much winged it... My son got stationed there back in May, so the reason for are trip was to visit with him. We had some decent meals there, but really the best one was the steak dinner we had aboard his ship! lol

I was thinking of starting a comparison thread ~OC vs. VA Beach (or something to that effect) but wasn't really sure if there would be much interest on this forum for it?

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the reply. I would be very interested in the OC v. VA Beach comparison thread.

Sand Dollars
    I just called the Grand Hotel and they do allow dogs after Oct. 14th till May 1 and only on the 2nd floor. And the dogs can be no larger than 15 lbs. They do charge a fee for bringing in your dogs too.
    Ask an OC Insider