+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

OC's Lankford Hotel on Travel Channel's Hotel Impossible last night!

Not sure if anyone caught it, but it was on 10:00 pm last night. Really good show about an old OC classic boardwalk hotel run by a family who was struggling to make it, couldn't get along, and had really antiquated ways. They had no way to reserve online and didn't take credit cards. But it was really good insight for anyone in a family business of how things get overwhelming amongst yourselves. They redecorated one of the suites/rooms and it looked great, they got a website and set up for online booking, and the family agreed (for now) to rent out their retail shops where Shell Shocked and the book store are. Salty Yarns will stay, though. Not only did they run the hotel, but they also ran the retail shops and were making next to nothing. The consultant asked another hotel manager what they get for rent for boardwalk shops, and he said $50 to $60 k a year. They agreed to rent out the top space for $60K and the lower spaces for $25k each. Catch it if you can.

Sand Dollars

it is now on my must see list.

Sand Dollars
    I saw it. There was a lot of editing for effect in the show, but it was good. I HOPE they take that updated room and run with it because it was 1000% better than what they have. There's nothing worse than owners who have quit caring and trying. Simple things like paint and new bedding can go a long way. And I'm so glad Salty Yarns is staying. I love that store..
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    My daughter will be very disappointed to hear that Shell Stocked is going away. That was her favorite store on the Boardwalk. My wife, however will be glad to hear Salty Yarns is staying since that is her favorite. Thanks for the post, hopefully Travel Channel will re-air it and I can catch it at a later day.

Sand Dollars
    I agree the room they remodeled was/is a huge improvement, but I heard they haven't renovated any of the other rooms yet. This is rather shocking because it was pretty simple, and inexpensive improvements. Getting the sofa in was a challenge for sure, but other than that, it was more just good old fashion elbow grease - painting, new bed spreads, ect....
    I wish em all the luck in the world, but here's the thing - (after seeing the show) If I were looking to stay at this hotel, I wouldn't even consider booking here unless I could stay in the remodeled room. AND, if that one and only decent room was unavailable? I'd go else where.

These people are where they are because of nothing more than circumstances, in other words they were just handed everything. They have no business skills, & their people skills are bad as well. If you put all 5 of these "owners" into a container and shook it up, your chances of pulling a qualified one out would be ZERO none of them deserve to be operating a business of this magnitude....

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, I also have my doubts if the family dynamic/ business partnership is solid enough for the long haul, everybody was playing nice together by the end of the show, but 4 people who haven't been able to get along in over a decade all of a sudden, having equal voting power, seems like a recipe for disaster. Really and truly I believe they all would be better taking a giant step back from the business, hire a general manager, and divide up what's left of the profits (if any) at the end of the day.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by DeanM View Post
    I agree the room they remodeled was/is a huge improvement, but I heard they haven't renovated any of the other rooms yet. This is rather shocking because it was pretty simple, and inexpensive improvements. Getting the sofa in was a challenge for sure, but other than that, it was more just good old fashion elbow grease - painting, new bed spreads, ect....
    I wish em all the luck in the world, but here's the thing - (after seeing the show) If I were looking to stay at this hotel, I wouldn't even consider booking here unless I could stay in the remodeled room. AND, if that one and only decent room was unavailable? I'd go else where.

These people are where they are because of nothing more than circumstances, in other words they were just handed everything. They have no business skills, & their people skills are bad as well. If you put all 5 of these "owners" into a container and shook it up, your chances of pulling a qualified one out would be ZERO none of them deserve to be operating a business of this magnitude....

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, I also have my doubts if the family dynamic/ business partnership is solid enough for the long haul, everybody was playing nice together by the end of the show, but 4 people who haven't been able to get along in over a decade all of a sudden, having equal voting power, seems like a recipe for disaster. Really and truly I believe they all would be better taking a giant step back from the business, hire a general manager, and divide up what's left of the profits (if any) at the end of the day.
    Agree 110%!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    That's the thing I hate about these shows....the places seem to always go back to their old habits after a while (the ones you hear about). I wish they would help out small businesses who are making it, but barely, instead of these failing businesses who don't seem to care.

Sand Dollars
    Saw it....management team had a hair trigger on the tear ducts.

Sand Dollars
    Focusing on the big picture, they really talked up OC as a whole. I liked that. As for the hotel, they'll go under and sell, which will be good for the boardwalk. The owners have no business running a business.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    I saw the show when it aired. I always wondered how "Down Under Books" made enough to stay open. Turns out, it didn't. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year with the space.

I've seen OC featured quite a bit on The Travel Channel lately. They were almost featured on "Bikinis, Beaches, and Boardwalks."