+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Sandy Bottoms Bar & Grill

Well, I know it was only there for four years, but I was sad to see Davey Jones Locker go. In the four years they were there, I enjoyed drinks at a good price with extremely friendly service.

Late last month, my girlfriend and I made our first trip to Ocean City this summer, and tried the Sandy Bottoms. Unfortunately, there were a lot of loud rednecks in there, due to the fact that it was dollar Natural Light night. Now, I don't want to come off an snobbish, and I love a good dive bar, but the vibe that night just wasn't what we were looking for.

We tried it again a couple weeks later, and it seemed more laid back, but since the bar was full, we moved on.

I just wanted to get some input from anybody else who has been up there. I've been told that the current owner had to put the place together at the last minute to get it ready for the start of the summer season,

Any experiences? Positive / negative?

Sand Dollars
    That can be a problem at any bar on the Boardwalk, or in OC for that matter. One rowdy crowd can ruin the atmosphere and fun. Have not been to Sandy Bottom yet. Happened to me in Dewey this year. One crowd took over karaoke, and they were the only ones having fun or laughing. We bailed.

Sand Dollars
    havent been there yet.. we dont normally go to the bars on the boardwalks...usually way too crowded.

Sand Dollars
    Absolutely love sandy bottoms. The food is much better then Davey Jones, the staff is friendlier and the prices are reasonable for the boardwalk. As a local, I agree that the tourists can take over and this place is usually pack with them because of the incredible views this place offers. Every time I decide to venture to the boardwalk, I make sure I stop by for a watermelon crush! If you can handle hanging with the tourist I say check this place out. The atmosphere is very laid back and the workers seem to have a lot of fun working here!

Sand Dollars
    A lot of fu working "here". But you are not biased huh?

Sand Dollars
    This place has a killer location, so even if the food & service were below average I'm certain it will draw huge crowds.

The owners of Davey Jone's just shot themselves in the foot w/ the serving under age fiasco...

Basically - As long as the overhead doesn't crush them (based off the location/ building) this is one of those kinda places that could do well even in spite of itself. It's a bar/restaurant right on the busiest section of the boardwalk, overlooking the beach, ocean, and boards... You could probably sell nothing but Gorton's fish sticks & Coors Lite, and pack the place on a regular basis.

Sand Dollars
    I was happy when it was Burger King. Especially during Cruise In weekends. Now I just go to the Frog Bar.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Is Sandy Bottoms coming back for this season? It was still closed when I was there last month.

I thought Davey Jones had much better prices. Over $9 for an orange crush??? Give me a break.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Is Sandy Bottoms coming back for this season? It was still closed when I was there last month.

I thought Davey Jones had much better prices. Over $9 for an orange crush??? Give me a break.
    No prices were ever over $9 for any drink. Especially an orange crush. Prices, food, and drinks are way better then Davey Jones' ever was.

Sand Dollars
    Davey Jones may still be in business if the prices were so much better! Drink prices are super cheap compared to most OC bars. The only people who complain are the ones who can't afford to drink out!