+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Holly's Mom,I just noticed all of your places have an outdoor seating theme in common - is that by design or coincidence?

I think you'll be very satisfied with Fagers, and after Labor Day you should be able to get into Fishtales (and any where else) pretty easy. Sept. is a great time to be in OC!

I should clarify that the actual service at the Lizard wasn't the problem, it's the way in which they manage the front of the house, that's kept me from returning. + the food was just average at best. It's been a year since I was there, and others had the same complaints about it that I did, so maybe they've gotten their act together by now. In spite of my last experience I'm tempted to see how the new Micro brewery (that they put in where Melvin's Steak house was) is run. If you go I hope you not only have a positive experience, but please come back and let us know how YOUR experience was.

I stand by assessment of Mackeys though.... Prices were high, portions and quality were low. With so many other GOOD options for dining in OC this place quickly became a "one and done" for me.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks Dean! No coincidence in the outdoor seating theme. All of the websites for these places makes it look very enticing with the pictures of the sunset over the bay, cute palm trees, fun atmosphere. I am going on vacation to relax. It all looks very relaxing to me. Nothing like a cold beverage, some good food, a table with a sunset view, etc....right?? :-)

I want to try Mackey's just because my husband watches that OC channel now and then when we are on vacation and he always says....Let's try Mackey's....and we never got the chance. Maybe this time, maybe not.

You can count on my opinion!

Sand Dollars
    We went to Fish Tales a few years ago in September. We didn't really have a wait for dinner. But you may have a wait on the weekend. As an FYI, I believe they sponsor Bike Week activities, so if you go that weekend it will definitely be crowded.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly'sMom View Post
    Thanks Seashell!! We are trying our luck with September this year. We've been to Sunfest many, many years ago before we had children, but lately we would go in July or August only because school starts in late August, but now since the kids are out of school and we are lucky enough to be able to go in the "off season" when the weather should still be nice, we want to try some new places. Looking forward to Fager's!!
    We will be there for Sunfest, too! In my opinion, you cannot beat going in September. Mostly everything is still open and there are not the huge crowds to contend with so you can try whatever you want without the wait. Plus the water is still warm…. I just love how laid back it is that time of year. We are leaving on September 18th.

Sand Dollars
    We love the drinks & atmosphere at Fish Tales, food not so much. Also really enjoy the sunset cruise on the Judith M that leave from the marina at Fish Tales, it's always fun.

Sand Dollars
    [QUOTE=Holly'sMom;36233 Nothing like a cold beverage, some good food, a table with a sunset view, etc....right?? :-)

[/QUOTE]

Right!
    Here's some other places to ADD to your list of choices (all fit the above requirements)

The Shark - Yes the sunset view is behind glass, but it's some of the best food in OC
    Lobster Shanty - Great food, nice open deck overlooking bay/ marsh.
    Harborside - Fun relaxing atmosphere, awesome fresh seafood chef is just as comfortable cooking upscale as he is manning a deep fryer!
    The Abbey Burger - Nice outdoor seating, and without a doubt THE SINGLE BEST BURGERS in town.
    45st Taphouse- Bar food, but it's bar food done eastern shore style, crab balls ect.

Sand Dollars
    Dean--we did the Harborside last year and the year before. I like the Crushsicles, very refreshing. I liked the live entertainment while we had dinner on the deck. I will look into your other suggestions....so much to do, so little time!!!

Seashell--we are going Labor Day week this year, but if the weather doesn't cooperate and it looks like, god forbid, bad weather is headed toward OC that week, we will postpone until Sunfest. We have friends going that weekend as well.

Sand Dollars
    I'm in my early 60's so I might have a different outlook here.
    Have you ever gone to Berlin? It's a lovely place to spend a day. There are so many quirky shops and eateries, a farmer's market, a glass blower shop, and lots more. There's a wonderful little toy shop there that will bring back memories for sure. They have horse and buggy rides sometimes too.

We like the Life Saving Station Museum on the Boardwalk, and the OC Art League on 90th St. (94th?).
    We also enjoy a day trip to Bethany to visit their boardwalk. It's much different than OC's.
    There is a free zoo in Salisbury.
    And as for paddle boarding, you won't look any more silly than anyone else.
    There's also a little musical theater in OC called the OC Jamboree in West OC where you can see a small show. Their schedule is on their website www.ocjam.com

As for meals, personally, I find Fager's dining room too snooty. I prefer their outer room. The food's okay, but nothing to write home about. But then again, I like home cooking and nothing away or fancy tastes right to me.
    We enjoy going to BJ's on the Water on 75th St. and watch the ducks and geese and watch the sunsets. We also enjoy the Captain's TAble on 15th. for a nice quiet meal. Excellent steak.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Z06RL--I love, love, love Berlin! We fit that in to every trip as well! I love the antique shops along with all of the other little places. It is a very quaint town. My mother is an artist and I have given her several photos that I have taken of the main street in Berlin for her to paint me a picture to hang in my living room. We usually make to the Country House every trip as well. I get their catalog in the mail, but it doesn't come close to the actual store. There is also the Country House outlet store right next door, if you are a bargain hunter!

I may suggest that we check out the Bethany Beach boardwalk this year. I like to do something new every year, perhaps that will be it! Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!

Sand Dollars
    Also check out west OC, Sunset Grill or the Shark. Sunset Grill has a bar upstairs that is beautiful at night, called The Bridge. Bar and tables and also sofas/chairs around a few fireplaces. It has a great view of the marina boats and city lights. Same menu and the food is good.

Macky's has always been my lowest choice -- food is okay but I have always had either bad service or bartenders who were d*@*heads waiting for girls or the nightlife to start. They are the epitome of a tourist trap goofy theme restaurant where nothing is really done all that well. Fish Tales and Lizard food is just okay to me. Unfortunately lots of OC bars are this way. Seems once they find out that alcohol is making their money, the food is second fiddle.