+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin05 View Post
    Macky's has always been my lowest choice -- food is okay but I have always had either bad service or bartenders who were d*@*heads waiting for girls or the nightlife to start. They are the epitome of a tourist trap goofy theme restaurant where nothing is really done all that well. Fish Tales and Lizard food is just okay to me. Unfortunately lots of OC bars are this way. Seems once they find out that alcohol is making their money, the food is second fiddle.
    Very true.... Being a boater all my life, I've noticed that all successful restaurants located inside marinas have common traits - casual atmosphere, with simple GOOD food, and large portions of it... Boaters, spend the day out on the water, they don't want to get dressed up to go out, they've already uncured the cost of gasoline, food, beer, ect, before they left the dock in the morning. They don't want to go all the way into bankruptcy, when evening rolls around... they're not looking for steak diane, just some sandwiches or wings will do, AND they don't want to walk away hungry. These outdoor seating boat restaurants in OC do not follow the rules of "boat restaurant 101", basically because they don't have to - the bar makes more more money from 10pm - 2am, than the kitchen brings in all day!

Sand Dollars
    ya see? They lured me in with their beach tables, palm trees and awesome sunset!! :-) I think I still may give Mackey's a try, just so I can say, been there, tried that. I saw the bar at Sunset Grille last year, perhaps will give it a try this year. I'm just hoping to have 80% satisfaction with our choices of food/drink/atmosphere. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Sand Dollars
    As a local, I always notice the same restaurants mentioned over and over here. For something new, try the locals favorite fine dining restaurant, Fresco's. On the bay with great sunset view. Have a drink before or after dinner on the deck next door at Jive. Let me know what you think.

Sand Dollars
    Thank you McPow. I may try that. If I do, I will let you know what I think.