+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Comments and opinions...please

I've been coming to OC since 1978. We usually stick to the same routine while there as far as places to eat or have drinks and fun. Since the kids are grown and we don't putt-putt, ride go-carts, nature cruises or other kid-friendly things, we are trying some places that we have never tried. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on some places we are trying this year for the first time.

Fager's Island
    Mackey's
    De Lazy Lizard
    Fish Tales

Sand Dollars
    You should enjoy all the places on your list. I never cared much for the Lizard, but haven't been there for quite awhile, and from what I read it has improved greatly. Let us know what you think about these places......

Sand Dollars
    all the places on your list are nice.. but all different..Fagers. more upper class, mackey middle age, lizard.. a good mix..and fishtales. fisherman!!

Sand Dollars
    all GREAT choices!

Sand Dollars
    Great choices - Another one to add to the list is The Hobbit. I like Fagers, but enjoy The Hobbit more for a really nice meal. If you want to try something different, consider a Kayak Tour - I've been out with SuperFun EcoTours (http://superfunecotours.com/)three times this year and enjoyed every trip. They have a great sunset tour, and I suspect the tours they do with Burley Oak Brewery are a lot of fun too - no prior expernce or real physical ability is required to do these tours in the bay behind Assateague.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the opinions! I'm hoping the weather holds up for a nice week with lower crowds.

OCGuy--thanks for the suggestion on the kayak tours...low physical ability required...that's me!! haha Have you ever tried the paddle boarding? I was thinking that might be fun, but am afraid I may look ridiculous!

Sand Dollars
    Another couple of options for kayaking are - http://www.ayerscreekadventures.com/ They are a family run business, in Berlin (bout 5 miles from OC) very knowledgeable. Great for beginners, as the creek is very calm & shallow.

Also http://coastalkayak.com/location/ is located about a mile north of the OC across from Fenwick State park. Very nice people here as well. We actually rented kayaks for the entire week of the 4th this year, they actually dropped them off and picked them up! They simply couldn't have made it any easier.

As far as your list of restaurants I'll give you my quick opinion on them as I've been to each of them...

Fagers = probably the best food on your list, and killer view. Also priciest.
    Mackeys = Total tourist trap....
    De Lazy Lizard = Rude service. decent bar food, if you're going for a bar night it's cool, but anything outside of that good luck.
    Fishtales = nice fun atmosphere, food is average HUGE wait on the weekend.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanM View Post
    Another couple of options for kayaking are - http://www.ayerscreekadventures.com/ They are a family run business, in Berlin (bout 5 miles from OC) very knowledgeable. Great for beginners, as the creek is very calm & shallow.

Also http://coastalkayak.com/location/ is located about a mile north of the OC across from Fenwick State park. Very nice people here as well. We actually rented kayaks for the entire week of the 4th this year, they actually dropped them off and picked them up! They simply couldn't have made it any easier.

As far as your list of restaurants I'll give you my quick opinion on them as I've been to each of them...

Fagers = probably the best food on your list, and killer view. Also priciest.
    Mackeys = Total tourist trap....
    De Lazy Lizard = Rude service. decent bar food, if you're going for a bar night it's cool, but anything outside of that good luck.
    Fishtales = nice fun atmosphere, food is average HUGE wait on the weekend.
    Thanks Dean--I don't plan on kayaking, but thanks for the info. As far as your restaurant review, I appreciate it, and will take all into consideration. Fager's Island--if it's worth the money, I don't mind paying for a good meal, especially if a great sunset goes along with it.
    Fish Tales--I wonder if the wait will be huge if we are going after Labor Day. It looks like a fun place.
    Mackey's--Tourist trap...I am a tourist. :-)
    De Lazy Lizard-we'll see, I don't care for rude service.

I truly appreciate your input. Thank you.

Sand Dollars
    We just visited Fagers for the first time last year. We go in September and went there for lunch. There was no wait and we got a great table outside. What an awesome veiw. It was all around very, very enjoyable.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks Seashell!! We are trying our luck with September this year. We've been to Sunfest many, many years ago before we had children, but lately we would go in July or August only because school starts in late August, but now since the kids are out of school and we are lucky enough to be able to go in the "off season" when the weather should still be nice, we want to try some new places. Looking forward to Fager's!!