+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by pavisitor View Post
    Personally when I start feeling unsafe in a town I stop going there and so do a lot of others. So sure no a no drinking on the beach law may be unpopular but when a lot of people just stop going to OC because crime continues to rise who cares if people can or can't drink on the beach.
    Yep, you nailed it!

After our trip this year, my wife & I have found ourselves seriously debating finding some where else to vacation next summer.... breaks our hearts really.

Z, I don't know if more police are the answer, but sounds like a good place to start! The answer might be getting some people on council that don't have hidden agendas, understand what the priority of a resort town should be.... I mean really? it's a ten mile stretch of beach front. 3 miles of boardwalk, of which only about 1.5 miles is heavily trafficked - this REALLY shouldn't be too awful hard to figure out.

Sand Dollars
    Did anyone see the list that came out yesterday of the nation's worst cities as far as crime? Both Baltimore and Salisbury in Md. are on the list. This could also be contributing to the crime in OC since Salisbury is only 30 miles away. And Snow Hill is no saintly town either. It's a shame really. I hate to think that my kids will be telling their kids that they can't go to Ocean City because it's not safe. Guess we might have been the last generation to really have been able to enjoy the town the way it was intended to be enjoyed.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Guess we might have been the last generation to really have been able to enjoy the town the way it was intended to be enjoyed.
    Sadly, I think you are correct
    common sense is not so common

Sand Dollars
    I have been going to OC for about 35 years... (yes i am old). I have never experienced any "crimes or mis-doings" by anyone.. Sure i see the "droopy pants kids" the "groups" of loud teenagers.the intoxicated patrons leaving bars... a few people on the beach tipping back a "cold one". Never seen anyone get out of hand...
    However, this summer, myself, my hubby, and son were waiting to cross Coastal Highway (midtown location) early evening one day.. and 2 young boys (maybe 14-15 years old) walked by...Well i looked at them..because one looked like someone i know... well they walked by again.(within a matter of minutes).. and of course i looked again...well one got mouthy and made an obscene gesture..WRONG thing to do..My hubby got up and followed them...the one who made the gesture got quite mouthy...THANKFULLY my hubby just turned away. I think what is happening..is the NO RESPECT that these young kids have for ANYONE... We as parents ,. grandparents. need to TEACH respect.... I love OC and hope to continue to be able to vacation there....

Sand Dollars
    Fenwick drops alcohol ban after Sept. 15......

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by captpat View Post
    Fenwick drops alcohol ban after Sept. 15......
    I'm not familiar with the ban. What does this mean?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by VitiminJ View Post
    I'm not familiar with the ban. What does this mean?
    It means no beach imbibing tween May 15 and Sept 15.

Sand Dollars
    I've been going to OC all my life and now take my family. I/we have never encountered and trouble whatsoever.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Dean------You win the grand prize for starting the best thread "beach drinking" in 2013! Without it this site would be really dead. Although the main subject was quickly ruled an non-problem and that the boardwalk is where the real problems are. About 3 or 4 years ago, someone made comments about problems on the boardwalk and at that time he/she was made to look like a lunatic by some of the responders?? I can remember the locals complaining about the crap that was coming in from Salisbury years ago. In fact at one time Salisbury was listed as the #1 city with gang problems (based on population) on the east coast. Unfortunately, the problem is there and most folks just turn the other way, so as not to have to admit it.

As a property owner for many years, I certainly would like to see the powers in OC, do something to stop the problems before they spread like wildfire!

I will be heading for OC in a few days. So for your prize I am gonna carve your name in one of the BOARDS! Hell I'll probably get arrested and all the gang bangers will standby laughing..........

Hey maybe you should start a new thread "OC officials please read this"........................... You did a great job!

Sand Dollars
    Yeah, it's amazing how it's virtually agreed upon across the board that drinking on the beach is far down the list of problems in OC - I find it equally amazing that most people see that there are serious issues when it comes to the boardwalk....

I too remember the thread you're referring too (Hell I was probably one calling her a lunatic?)... funny how 4 years ago, not too many people gave any credence to that posters comments yet fast forward to present day, and it's hard to find somebody who DOESN'T recognize that there are serious problems in regards to the night life on the boards. What's even more funny than that is how the council is not only just playing stupid when it comes to this, they're taking it one step further and trying to convince people that the boards are safer this year than they were last year, because the police have made fewer arrest in July 1213, than they did in July of 2012 - So here it is in a nut shell -- the police are making fewer arrest, and people (based off of response on this thread) now feel LESS safe!!!

Go ahead and take your time carving my award Highball, because the police probably won't want to arrest you, in fear of messing their numbers up for the Aug 2012/2013 comparison.