+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    We have a place up further north and I have never seen bad behavior because of drinking. I agree with the rest of the replies the boardwalk needs more attention then worrying about people enjoying a beer or cocktail on the beach.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by highball View Post
    Pavistor---You hit the nail on the head! I wouldn't take my family below 28th street after dark, if they were giving away new boats!

Highball, I agree. I can't stand the boardwalk at night anymore. I visit the boardwalk early in the morning when all the trouble makers are still in bed!

Sand Dollars
    been going to OC for about 30 years,beach drinking has never been a problem!

Sand Dollars
    I think with all of the other issues they have had in OC this year, focusing on this issue is a waste of time. The current limited enforcement is well handled -sure, drinking on the beach is illegal, but it is enforced as necessary, and well behaved tourists are not bothered, but rowdy drunks can be - keeping it a good environment for everyone.

Sand Dollars
    I do not think drinking on the beach is a problem. I do it myself. Perhaps that's why I don't have an issue?

I realize the biggest concern is swimming in the ocean drunk. But how many rescues are related to alcohol? We saw the life guard perform several rescues during our vacation. All of the incidents involved younger kids.

There has only been 1 incident that I can remember that was alcohol related, and they weren't drinking on the beach. They got drunk at the bar and then came to the beach. Sure they could have got a ticket for public intoxication, but so could some drunk on the boardwalk. I really do not see how to enforce the law more than they do now. Are you going to have officers checking coolers as you enter the beach? Narcs walking around checking red solo cups and Gatorade bottles? Just keep it illegal and fine the people that get out of control. I will continue to take my chances.

This year I was talking to another dad while our boys played in the surf. It was their first year in OC. He told me he was drinking a beer on the beach and realized his was the only can he saw. So he asked the life guard if he could drink on the beach. The life guard informed him it was illegal, and then told him to put it in a cup!

Sand Dollars
    I really wish the council would read the comments from the posts in this thread, in regards to the boardwalk.

It wasn't all that many years ago I use to (wouldn't even think of it today) allow my children to stay out by themselves on the boards after dark. It was a safe family environment with tons of police presence. You use to see them everywhere, on foot, bike, horseback, and in cruisers along the side streets. You never heard of violent crime on the boards! Back then some one got out of line and before you knew it 20 cops had em badged up--- NOW, these punks run up and down the boards screaming profanity and everybody sits around with their heads on a swivel wondering "where the Hell are the cops?", and WHY aren't they making examples out of these idiots??? In the last 3 years it's done nothing but get progressively worse. IMO council needs to get their heads out of their collective ass, and take a good look at what's truly a problem in this resort town - the comments in this thread would be a good place to start!

Sand Dollars
    Unfortunately it is a sign of the times, the pass feel good laws that don't cost anything and hope no one notices. It is a shame that you have to deal with it when you are on vacation trying to escape the day to day of life but no such luck. Everyone should be able to have fun but the violence is what worries me can deal with the profanity thats everywhere but the stabbings, fights etc. that needs to stop.

Sand Dollars
    I agree that drinking isn't a problem, but the answer to that could be BECAUSE it's illegal to drink on the beach. Take away that law and I bet there will be a different outcome. And then everyone will be crying "they shouldn't allow drinking on the beach". It's hard to know what to do when you run a town, and sometimes they have to make unpopular decisions.
    As for the violence, it's horrible to read how bad it has become. It makes me worry that my husband and I wouldn't be safe walking back to our car at night. But what is the answer to that? More police? I don't know. I sure hope it changes though because I hate to see Ocean City become like that.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    It is not a matter of unpopular it is a matter of this is not important when they are having serious issues with crime and violence. Lets fix that, then worry about drinking on the beach. If families stop going there because of the violence and crime you will have more problems, Since someone willing to stab someone isn't going to care about an ordinance about not drinking on the beach. Keep OC safe and the rest becomes easier. Spending time worrying about a guy with a 6 pack on 125 street but people walking back to their car on 10th street feel unsafe or get mugged is not a matter of an unpopular decision it but a matter of what are the town councils priorities and are they in the right place. Personally when I start feeling unsafe in a town I stop going there and so do a lot of others. So sure no a no drinking on the beach law may be unpopular but when a lot of people just stop going to OC because crime continues to rise who cares if people can or can't drink on the beach.

Sand Dollars
    Z,

You make a great point about drinking on the beach. I just spent a week at the beach. While on the beach, I "spied" others on the beach drinking alcohol in a very discrete, responsible way. And I admit, I had a number of drinks on the beach myself. Those who drink on the beach seem to know that, as long as they are responsible, no one will bother them. But, if they become intoxicated and someone complains about them and police get involved, they know they'll be in trouble. The law serves as a deterrent more than an enforced/monitored law. If they suddenly abolished this law, I am confident there would be a deluge of people coming to the beach dragging huge coolers of alcohol and problems would definitely ensue.