+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sand Dollars

dining report

Thanks so much for report. We must have passed you coming home to pa as we were heading to OC. My family tried the Shark when we were down based on your review as well as some other forum members. IT WAS FABULOUS! We wanted to go to Hooked as well but there are just not enough meals in a.week to try everything we enjoy.

Sand Dollars
    Nice review. I have to disagree with your take on the Abbey's location. I don't think it sucks at all. Yes its a building off the road, but its not hard to get to and the view from the deck is nice. Its where the old Olive Tree was for many years. Just my opinion...

Sand Dollars
    Seagirl, Glad to hear you took a chance on, & liked The Shark. I know a couple of people on here aren't fans of the place, but I've eaten there more times than I can recall, and have never had a less than "FABULOUS" experience there myself. Don't worry about Hooked/Just Hooked, they're not going any where, and that's what FUTURE OC trips are for!

Tollerby, thanks for the compliment on the review, I agree the deck & view are good. When we arrived at Abey Burger, it was after dark, and I just got done with 6 hours of driving & my eyes were probably 1/2 crossed, so I might have been a lil hyper sensitive to the location... I guess if I'd have known in advance it was in The Olive Tree building, it would've been a non issue... I however had no idea where it was, and all I kept thinking is - If I'm having a hard time spotting it, and I'm looking for it, how much passerby traffic will they attract?

Sand Dollars
    Great report as always Dean. I've been away from the forum and depressed since my beloved condo rental was sold after MANY happy trips. But, after finding a new place in the same 'hood, reading your stuff really gets the ol' juices flowing again!! Looking forward to Just Hooked (Fenwick), I'm a sucker for FRESH tuna and mahi. Sounds like Mia Frats needs a visit from "Mystery Diner"....they've busted many waiters with inside stuff goin' on. Sea ya

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by captpat View Post
    Great report as always Dean. I've been away from the forum and depressed since my beloved condo rental was sold after MANY happy trips. But, after finding a new place in the same 'hood, reading your stuff really gets the ol' juices flowing again!! Looking forward to Just Hooked (Fenwick), I'm a sucker for FRESH tuna and mahi. Sounds like Mia Frats needs a visit from "Mystery Diner"....they've busted many waiters with inside stuff goin' on. Sea ya
    Thanks for the compliments Capt, and glad you enjoyed the report. You're in luck, Just Hooked serves up fresh tuna (had it during a previous visit) and good news is they only SEAR it - nothing worse than over cooked tuna! ~ Enjoy!

Mia's could save a lot of time & money by skipping "Mystery Diner" and just read THIS THREAD!!!

Sand Dollars
    I always enjoy your dining reports and this one was no exception. Thanks for sharing your dining experiences with us. I do feel I have to make a comment about Sunset Grill's soft shell crabs. The menu clearly states that they are "tempura battered". It doesn't seem quite fair to order that and then complain because you like soft shelled crabs floured and pan fried and not battered. I love their tempura batter and the crabs cooked that way and go to Sunset Grill specifically to get them. (Also love them cooked your way.)
    We'll be down again for a week in September and I'll enjoy trying some of the new-to-me places you mentioned.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by nat the cat View Post
    I always enjoy your dining reports and this one was no exception. Thanks for sharing your dining experiences with us. I do feel I have to make a comment about Sunset Grill's soft shell crabs. The menu clearly states that they are "tempura battered". It doesn't seem quite fair to order that and then complain because you like soft shelled crabs floured and pan fried and not battered. I love their tempura batter and the crabs cooked that way and go to Sunset Grill specifically to get them. (Also love them cooked your way.)
    We'll be down again for a week in September and I'll enjoy trying some of the new-to-me places you mentioned.
    Hey Nat, nice to hear from you, and thank you for the compliments. I respect what you're saying in regards to Sunset Grille's soft shells. Everybody is entitled to their opinion,and if you go out of you're way to get them, then maybe I just caught em on an "off day"... * shrug* and you're 100% right, it's clearly stated "Tempura" on the menu. I've eaten a lot of tempura battered shrimp, and squid over the years, and enjoy that style of deep frying. To my knowledge, I've never had a soft shell prepared this way, but I enjoy trying different things, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Typically my experience with tempura is a LIGHT golden crisp coating - this was not the case. While It was crisp, it was a very HEAVY, very DARK brown coating (void of any yellow/ golden color at all), which was something I wasn't expecting. To me it appeared as if the batter was possibly over worked (making it thick) and definitely over cooked in the fryer. If I'd have ordered these straight up perhaps my take on them would be slightly different, but this preparation being served in the form of a sandwich... well... it just didn't work for me, personally, and couldn't help but think maybe just flour, light bread crumbs, or even cornmeal, would be (& in my opinion is) a better choice....

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely go back to Sunset Grille in the future, I'll just order something else, or if YOU, see ME there, feel free to send one of your soft shells over to my table! LOL

Please enjoy your up coming trip, and I hope you'll take a few minutes to give us YOUR OWN take on some of OC dining establishments.

Dean.

Sand Dollars

Thanks Dean for all the Great Dining Reports

I have not found time to participate on the forum this year but was grateful to stop by and find DeanM's usual outstanding dining report. As I have been disappointed with pizza in OC for the last decade, my family will make a beeline for JJ's on the next trip.

I agree with the Hooked and Just Hooked reviews...they are favorites and although our experience with their service has been mediocre to below average, the food never failed to impress.

Mio Fratelli's breaks our hearts...we wanted to love them and some of the food was above average but everything about the service and quality control has prevented our return....I truly thought they would try harder based on their off the beach location.

Best wishes to all on the forum and may you be lucky enough to get to OC before the cold weather returns. -greenwaves

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwaves View Post
    I have not found time to participate on the forum this year but was grateful to stop by and find DeanM's usual outstanding dining report. As I have been disappointed with pizza in OC for the last decade, my family will make a beeline for JJ's on the next trip.

I agree with the Hooked and Just Hooked reviews...they are favorites and although our experience with their service has been mediocre to below average, the food never failed to impress.

Mio Fratelli's breaks our hearts...we wanted to love them and some of the food was above average but everything about the service and quality control has prevented our return....I truly thought they would try harder based on their off the beach location.

Best wishes to all on the forum and may you be lucky enough to get to OC before the cold weather returns. -greenwaves
    Thank you for the compliment Greenwaves.
    I'm surprised& sorry to hear about your service at Hooked/Just Hooked. The newest Hooked location seemed a bit disorganized when we were there, but I just attributed that to the fact that it's their first summer and they were still trying to work the bugs out.

Also sorry to hear about Mio's, I was really hoping our visit was an isolated incident, now after reading your post I'm starting to fear that there might be bigger problem - sure hope they get their act together.