+ Reply to Thread
    A2Mom
    Sand Dollars

Visitors riding the storm out

We arrived in OC last Saturday for a two week vacation. We got off to a very rough start with a FILTHY condo rental. Ended up spending the first night in a hotel (no way was I going to put my kids to bed in a dirty condo), spent the second day battling with the realty company about the conditions. They sent a second cleaning crew to go through the condo and when they were done I spent the rest of the day getting the condo to my standard of cleanliness (which is not all that strict to be honest!!). Suffice it to say this has not been a good start to our vacation, and now we're dealing with Earl!!

The locals we've talked to aren't making a very big deal of this storm. From what we hear this is not out of the ordinary for OC storms and no one seems to be very concerned. So we've decided to ride it out. The owners of the condo sent their maintenance guy to show us how to close the storm shutters so we'll do that tonight and just hope for the best. Are we crazy? Those of you who live here, what are your thoughts on this storm?

Also, where should we park our van? We're in one of the high rises in the northern part of the beach. I assume we should park as close to Coastal Highway as possible?

Any other tips?

Sand Dollars

Re: Visitors riding the storm out

Your fine, your van will be fine and the storm will be here and gone before you know it. Its not anything to worry about and little wind and rain than beautiful sunshine. Just sit tight and you will be rewarded with a beautiful weekend! If your bored, you can clean your condo some more! :-)

Sand Dollars

If your condo faces coastal highway you can always watch cars splash water everywhere as they zoom up and down coastal highway.

Sand Dollars

The storm wont be bad from all the reports I have seen. There will be wind picking up tonight and maybe some rain. Tomorrow will be gusty with rain but nothing to cause serious concern IMO. If you get a chance look out at the surf and you will notice large waves, up to 12 feet peaking in size around noon. Enjoy a little storm action and be glad you are here. Saturday Sunday and Monday will be perfect weather wise. Keep in mind Coastal HWY always floods due to poor drainage, I would not park near coastal hwy if I could help it.

Sand Dollars

Be sure to bring any outdoor furniture inside. It can fly off the balcony in the wind or even into your unit. I agree about not parking near Coastal because it does flood quite often. If you have access anywhere to a parking garage, grab a spot on a higher floor.

Good thing is.........this time tomorrow it will all be over.

Sand Dollars

Indeed... and this time tomorrow I will be in O.C.!!

(Actually, I mean today since it is now Friday morning)

Sand Dollars

Earl has really turned into a non-event...several of the Nor'easters we had over the winter were far worse than this.

Found this...kind of funny...

http://reinventingaboomer.blogspot.com/2010/09/much-ado.html

Sand Dollars

What a letdown! Oh well, I'm still hoping for some cool finds to wash ashore for lbo tomorrow morning.