+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    xtremeoc
    Sand Dollars

Re: Danielle and Earl

[/quote]

OBX is going to get nailed. You know how I know? Jim Cantore has been spotted in Rodanthe, NC

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/map/interactive/USNC0583

Zoom in on the map for the exact location.

All I know is if that guy ever shows up in the town I'm in, I would evacuate faster than a bunch of frat boys running into Hooters to check out a wardrobe malfunction.

[/quote]

Haha! That is so true! Jim seems to be the man of the worst!

Sand Dollars

Hopefully it's not too bad. It's not going to keep me away this weekend either way.

Sand Dollars

I just saw online that Assateague National Seashore has told campers that they must clear off of the island on Thursday. Not sure if this is impacting the State Park, but I assume it would. I don't blame them, I sure wouldn't want to be out there in a tent or a camper with the storm approaching, a thunder storm out there can be bad enough.

Sand Dollars

If you're planning to go to the beach this weekend, GO. I've looked at several sites and I'm just not seeing it. 30-35 winds possible for part of the day tomorrow but back to sunshine by tomorrow evening.

Sand Dollars

From the Weather Channel:

... PROBABILITY OF TROPICAL STORM/HURRICANE CONDITIONS... THE CHANCE FOR HURRICANE CONDITIONS AT THIS TIME IS 5 TO 10 PERCENT. ALSO... THE CHANCE FOR TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS AT THIS TIME IS UP TO 66 PERCENT. THIS REPRESENTS A GENERAL UPWARD TREND SINCE THE LAST FORECAST.

... WINDS... AS HURRICANE EARL APPROACHES... SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN EARLY FRIDAY MORNING... AND CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

MINOR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR TO OLDER MOBILE HOMES. RESIDENTS SHOULD MOVE LOOSE ITEMS INDOORS... SUCH AS GARBAGE CANS AND OUTDOOR FURNITURE... AS THEY WILL BE BLOWN AROUND. NEWLY PLANTED OR YOUNG TREES AND SHRUBS MAY BE UPROOTED IF NOT SECURED PROPERLY. ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES WILL BE POSSIBLE.

... STORM SURGE AND STORM TIDE... AS HURRICANE EARL APPROACHES THE COAST... THERE IS AN INCREASING CHANCE FOR COMBINED STORM SURGE AND ASTRONOMICAL TIDE WATERS BETWEEN 3 AND 4 FEET ABOVE MEAN SEA LEVEL ALONG THE ATLANTIC COAST. THIS WOULD RESULT IN A WORST CASE FLOOD INUNDATION AROUND 2 FEET ABOVE GROUND LEVEL SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE SURGE ZONE... WHICH REPRESENTS MINOR COASTAL FLOODING. THE GREATEST RISK OF COASTAL FLOODING AS A RESULT WILL BE DURING THE HIGH TIDE CYCLES FRIDAY MORNING AND AFTERNOON.

... COASTAL HAZARDS... SIGNIFICANT SWELLS WILL BRING AN HIGH RISK OF STRONG RIP CURRENTS TODAY THROUGH FRIDAY. LARGE BREAKING WAVES WILL ALSO LIKELY PEAK BETWEEN 10 AND 15 FEET ALONG THE ATLANTIC COAST FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE ANTICIPATED STORM SURGE COMBINED WITH THE HIGH SURF WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT BEACH EROSION AND OVERWASH ISSUES ALONG THE ATLANTIC COAST.

I would still go, too. It's supposed to be beautiful on Saturday!

Sand Dollars

Since Earl formed, we have been kicking this around about whether to go or not go this weekened. matter of fact made reservations on sunday and canceled them on tues... I still don't know WHAT to do. We wouldn't be getting into town till early saturday morning, and by all accounts looks like things should be over been then.

But we are still on a fence about it....

Sand Dollars

Dean- Id suggest coming to the Beach. The storm will here and gone within 8-10 hours and then it will be BEAUTIFUL! If you dont go you will be sitting home reading about how nice the weather is and then looking at webcams and kicking yourself for not coming! Pack your bags and enjoy the weekend! Food for thought....

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by ImightKnow

Dean- Id suggest coming to the Beach. The storm will here and gone within 8-10 hours and then it will be BEAUTIFUL! If you dont go you will be sitting home reading about how nice the weather is and then looking at webcams and kicking yourself for not coming! Pack your bags and enjoy the weekend! Food for thought....

Yep, totally agree with you! They're saying the worst will be very early Friday thru Friday afternoon. Plenty of time for things to clear up for you on Saturday.

I will be watching the waves via beachcam tomorrow

Sand Dollars

Here's the latest official press release from Oceancitymd.gov

Ocean City is currently under a TROPICAL STORM WARNING AND A HURRICANE WATCH, which means tropical storm conditions are expected within the next 36 hours. A HURRICANE WATCH is issued when hurricane conditions are expected within the next 48 hours.

Based on current forecasts, Hurricane Earl is expected to pass approximately 150 miles off Ocean City’s coast by Friday afternoon. Emergency Management personnel anticipate the effects of Earl to arrive in the Ocean City area Thursday evening through Friday afternoon. Forecasters believe Ocean City may see sustained winds of 30 to 40 MPH with gusts reaching 50 to 55 MPH.

The Town will experience heavy seas and rip currents resulting in additional beach erosion. It is anticipated that we will receive no more than 1-2 inches of rain. The storm will cause minor to moderate flooding in the low lying areas during the high tide cycles on Friday into Saturday.

Residents and visitors are asked at this point to continue preparing for the storm’s effects by securing loose objects such as trash cans, lawn furniture, etc. Contractors are urged to secure construction sites and protect items that may be affected by high winds.

By the time Earl reaches off the Ocean City coast, it is expected to be a fast moving storm. It is anticipated that Earl will be completely clear of Ocean City by late Friday evening.

During the storm citizens are urged to remain indoors. Visitors traveling to Ocean City are asked to delay travel until the storm clears the Ocean City coast. Storm and event updates will be posted on the Town’s website, www.oceancitymd.gov, the Emergency Services recorded information line at 410-723-6666 or tune into 1670 AM.

Published September 2, 2010

Sand Dollars

Weather Channel video from OC, kind of interesting. Asking visitors to stay put and no swimmers allowed in the water.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/videos/dangerous-earl-moves-closer-6584#7483