+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: Danielle and Earl

I heard on the news this morning that one man was washed under this weekend and is still missing. That is so, so sad. I hope people are careful this week. Right now they are saying that Earl might be in the area on Thursday and Friday.

Seeing the picutres from 1933, I can't even imagine the city being under that much water today. Extremely scary!

Sand Dollars

Someone did go missing unfortunately;

Coast Guard suspends search for missing man
    A man is still missing after disappearing in the Ocean off 20th Street in Ocean City over the weekend. A massive search was launched over the week. According to Fire/EMS spokesman, Stephen Price, lifeguards made 250 surf rescues on Saturday. The Coast Guard has suspended the search for the missing man.

UPDATE: Coast Guard suspends search for missing person off Ocean City
    OCEAN CITY, Md. – The Coast Guard suspended its search at 4:48 p.m., Sunday for a missing man near Ocean City.

Coast Guard response boat crews from Coast Guard Station Ocean City and HH-65 Dolphin helicopter crews from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City searched 895 nautical miles over a 20-hour period for the man.

Watchstanders at Station Ocean City received a phone call at 8:02 p.m., Saturday, from Ocean City Beach Patrol, reporting four people in the water off 20th street in Ocean City.

Beach patrol rescued three of the people in the water, while Coast Guard boat and air crews searched for the fourth person.

Sand Dollars

They just reported on our local news that there were 250 water rescues in OC this past weekend.

Be careful out there everyone!

Sand Dollars

Hurricane watch has now been posted from the NC/VA border up to Cape Henolopen, DE...could get interesting...ugh!

Sand Dollars

125 mph winds! Yikes. This stinks for Labor Day weekend vacationers and business owners hoping for one last big hurrah for the season. At least it's still only Wednesday. We all know how the weather forcasts change every 10 minutes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone.

Uh oh, they've already started evacuations in 2 North Carolina counties....

Sand Dollars

They need to evacuate all of the OBX IMO, they have less then 24 hours before winds will pick up hard core. That whole area will receive the brunt of this storm. I think this front passing through will be timed just right to push it off this area. Some stations reporting maybe some wind and a possibility we won't even see rain. 50 miles east west swing could make a difference though.

<----- gets fresh batteries for metal detector and prepare for sat am low tide

Oh and T.S. Gaston just formed.......... very active season for sure

Sand Dollars

Based on current forecasts, the storm is expected to pass a few hundred miles off Ocean City’s coast by Friday afternoon. Emergency Management personnel anticipate the effects of Earl to arrive in the Ocean City area early Friday morning through Friday afternoon. Forecasters believe Ocean City may see sustained winds of 30 to 40 MPH with gusts reaching 50 to 55 MPH.

The Town will experience heavy seas and rip currents resulting in additional beach erosion. It is anticipated that we will receive no more than 1-2 inches of rain. The storm will cause minor to moderate flooding in the low lying areas during the high tide cycles on Friday into Saturday.

Residents and visitors are asked at this point to continue preparing for the storm’s effects by securing loose objects such as trash cans, lawn furniture, etc. Contractors are urged to secure construction sites and protect items that may be affected by high winds.

Ocean City has been placed under a hurricane watch, which means that hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area. A watch is typically issued 48 hours before the anticipated first occurrence of tropical storm force winds, conditions that make outside preparations difficult or dangerous.

By the time Earl reaches off the Ocean City coast, it is expected to be a fast moving storm. It is anticipated that Earl will be completely clear of Ocean City by late Friday evening.

Storm and event updates will be posted on the Town’s website, www.oceancitymd.gov, the Emergency Services recorded information line at 410-723-6666 or tune into 1670 AM.

Published September 1, 2010

Filed in Town of Ocean City Press Releases

Copied from www.oceancitymd.gov

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by lbo

They need to evacuate all of the OBX IMO, they have less then 24 hours before winds will pick up hard core. That whole area will receive the brunt of this storm. I think this front passing through will be timed just right to push it off this area. Some stations reporting maybe some wind and a possibility we won't even see rain. 50 miles east west swing could make a difference though.

<---- Very jealous! Post pics if you find anything good!

Sand Dollars

We hope to be there by 6 on Thursday...unless it gets very bad. Afterall I need to put away the balcony furniture. Looking forward to the experience. Any and all updates down there are appreciated; thanks.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by lbo

OBX is going to get nailed. You know how I know? Jim Cantore has been spotted in Rodanthe, NC

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/map/interactive/USNC0583

Zoom in on the map for the exact location.

All I know is if that guy ever shows up in the town I'm in, I would evacuate faster than a bunch of frat boys running into Hooters to check out a wardrobe malfunction.