+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Sand Dollars

Re: Danielle and Earl

Quote Originally Posted by DeanM

Since Earl formed, we have been kicking this around about whether to go or not go this weekened. matter of fact made reservations on sunday and canceled them on tues... I still don't know WHAT to do. We wouldn't be getting into town till early saturday morning, and by all accounts looks like things should be over been then.

But we are still on a fence about it....

It's safe to go. Jim Cantore is nowhere near O.C.

boboshe
    Sand Dollars

Sorry I'm a little late in posting, had lots to do this past week. Saturday the 28th was a terrible surf day with Danielle out at sea. In all my 50 years of going to the OC I never remember the surf being so bad or the life guards making so many saves. But then again I didn't use to go during hurricane season. I must say that the lifeguards did a phenominal job saving and educating the people, only to have someone drown after they left the beach. The 28th was the day that the young man lost his life to the surf and it happened at our street (20th). Unfortunately he made a grave mistake when he chose to swim in the ocean after the life guards went off duty (they stayed later than normal that day). The story was 4 went in and only 3 came out. We missed the actual drowning (thank heavens), as we were on the boardwalk, but we did see the coast guard (or police) go up the coast and eventually the search helicopter going up and down the coast. When we arrived at our street we normally sit on the boardwalk for an hour or so and the tram stopped in front of us and I heard one of the tram operators say that a boy drowned. The next thing I hear is someone crying with heart wrenching crys. I then saw a police officer standing in the middle of the board walk and I started to put it all together, that this was the mother or wife of this person who drowned. It was distressing to me hearing the crys of this young woman. The next day we found out that he was a 20 year old with a small child. When we were on the beach that next day a group of his friends (or relatives) came to the water and just reflected on what had happened. Some of them just went and touched the water as if it was a connection to their friend. Once again I felt for them. A group of young people thinking they were invincible that nothing could happen to them, only to loose one of their own. I see they found the young man 16 miles off shore and there is finally closure for them. My heart and prayers goes out to them. Unfortunately some must learn their lessons the hard way. Please stay safe everyone and listen to those guards!

Sand Dollars

My prayers go out to this person. I feel awful for his wife and child.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people felt the need to go in on Friday and Saturday. Our lifeguard made at least five saves while we were sitting there from 10:30 until 3, and yet people kept going in. He was exhausted and frustrated. I don't get it. Those waves and the undertow are not to be trifled with!

Sand Dollars

Big waves are obviously more fun to jump in than just swells, but you have to be "wave smart"! But at 20, didn't we all think we would live forever?

So sad, and such a waste.

Sand Dollars

I went in just to get wet and cool off, was near a guard and saw no riptides. No doubt I was nervous, the undertoe was strong. Not just that but you could be waist high after a wave and then treading water after the wave goes by. Then comes a big wave, duck it and look up another big wave, duck that, collect your breath, and another rolls in. The force from all that water will wear you out and find yourself a lot further off the beach then you had planned.

A couple pics of some of the waves, some of the biggest I have seen in a long while.