+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Danielle and Earl

Just heard (from local news) that Danielle and Earl both strengthened overnight and continue heading northwest across the Atlantic. Right now Danielle has winds up to 120 mph and is predicted to be east of Delmarva on Monday, but it's very iffy that it will actually hit because it's changing so often. Earl may potentially be a major hurricane within the next five days, but right now it's it's looking like it will head out to sea and not towards the east coast.

Sand Dollars

Re: Danielle and Earl

It's hurricane season...only thing you will have to worry about are some very tasty waves all next week...gnarly dude!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/144225.shtml?5-daynl#contents

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/083515.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Sand Dollars

I love staying during hurricane season and seeing the big waves and dark skies. I'm always happy when there's a storm while we're there (nothing too bad, of course) so I can go down and comb thru all the treasures that have been washed ashore.

boboshe
    Sand Dollars

Danielle is suppose to stay out to sea, but Earl may be another story. There are thoughts that is may be a threat to the U.S. around Labor Day weekend. No Meteorologist, just heard the report this morning on the news. Looks like nice weather for our stay next week!

Sand Dollars

The surf will be rough for a while beginning tomorrow afternoon. I predict strong rip currents for many weeks so any venturing out to swim take caution. We will have waves from Danielle Saturday and moreso Sunday, Earl will produce stong waves as well the two other storms forming(ed) off Africa.

It will be active this season, just have a hunch.

Sand Dollars

the webcams that might have a view of the ocean should provides some nice views if the waves get real active this weekend.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Seashell

I love staying during hurricane season and seeing the big waves and dark skies. I'm always happy when there's a storm while we're there (nothing too bad, of course) so I can go down and comb thru all the treasures that have been washed ashore.

I am so with you there. It's my absolute favorite time to be at the beach (of course, not for the whole week I'm there!). Let's keep our fingers crossed that OC isn't affected by any hurricanes this year. Or any more Nor'easters for that matter!

Sand Dollars

The surf was worse yesturday then today. the current would pull you one way and then you would get smacked by a wave in a different direction. Word is that there were over 200 water rescues Saturday, compounding the problem is many lifeguards have left for the season.

Earl looks kinda threatening, especially if the cold front out west stalls or doesn't push it offshore. More of a concern would be the already large number of tourists that weekend which could cause an evacuation logistical nightmare. With a threat of a hurricane we would get "hurricane seekers" on top of the large labor day crowds hampering any evacuation efforts if needed.

Sand Dollars

Looks like September might be some kind of month with all these storms brewing. I just looked at Harrison's Harbor Watch camera (pointed in the "inlet waters" direction) and things were looking kind of rough.

http://www.ocmdhotels.com/ocean-city/inlet-web-cam/

Sand Dollars

I have always taken an interest in storms that may threaten our coast, mostly because of my special interest in OCMD, and because we have family property there. Based on the outcome of the storm of 1933, which cut the OC inlet, and subsequent storms like 1962, itís always interesting to think that a significant storm could change the cityís landscape as we know it today. I am deeply concerned about the next few systems, mostly because the models keep changing and itís impossible to tell what path the storms will take. Earlier models actually showed Earl and Danielle merging by this time and rapidly moving north out to sea. Clearly, that didnít happen. It always intrigues me to look at the aerial views of the city; the strip of land we all call OC is so fragile, and I believe it wouldnít take much to cut another hole in the barrier island (which was never meant to be built on in the first place!) I would imagine by mid-week, some businesses will begin a boarding up process. With every update from the National Hurricane Center, the story changes!