+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: OC smoke free in 2011?

LOL... I guess I'm just being greedy, because see I 'd like my kids to be watched in the ocean AND when they get out be able to sit on the beach without breathing in cigarette smoke. Why can't I have both?

I love sitting on the beach smelling the salt air, and all it takes is one person with a cigar or cigarette to ruin that part of the experience... I really wouldn't even mind if they smoked as long as they'd put the LIT end in their mouths!

BTW (and I'm all about rights - matter of fact I'm a 2nd amendment advocate) Since when did polluting the air around you and others become a right? AND if it is a "right" where do these peoples rights end and mine begin?? How does their right to contaminate the air suppress my right to breathe clean air??? I mean is the lack of smoke in the air bothersome to some people???? - sorry, this is one of those things in life that no matter how you explain it to me I'll never get it, so to all you smokers out there waiting to enlighten me - Save your breath (pun intended) because you won't be able to change my mind.

Sand Dollars

Do you really in your heart of hearts believe that what you are breathing is CLEAN air? Seriously? I once heard an addage that seems to fit here.

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." lol

I think cigarettes would be the least of my worries about what's on the boardwalk floor. Just think about it. Men (and probably some women) chew and spit. Or just spit. Bird droppings. Sodas and all manner of food and drinks. And maybe even some body fluids. What really grossed me out to the point of nearly tossing my cookies was when I saw a young man in his early 20's walking BAREFOOT on the boards and then into a PUBLIC RESTROOM!!

I mean, COME ON BUDDY! YUK!

happy393
    Sand Dollars

and to this I say, get a life. There are so many other things that are so much more important. CRIME, for one! People are allowed to smoke! It is not an illegal practice. I DO NOT SMOKE, but respect the rights of others. This is just ridiculous. And furthermore, OC WILL LOSE revenue if this becomes law! Pick and choose your battles carefully!

Yes, there are pigs who dump their butts in the ocean and the sand, however, I don't think it is the norm. They are no different than people sitting next to you w/ loud music and leave their trash behind. The air is already polluted, sorry to let you all know that.

Get a life! let this alone and deal w/ the more important issues at hand!

Sand Dollars

Umm.... So if I have difference of opinon from yours I'm an idiot eh?

yea if I'm breathing air and all of a sudden it's filled with combustion vapors I'd say it was cleaner before the smoke. Hard for you to understand I guess... I remember having this same discussion on here a couple of years ago before they banned smoking in the restaurants in OC.... back then some REAL idiots argued w/me that this would never happen in Ocean City MD. Some even went as far to tell me the tobaco co.s controled the south and would never allow such a thing - and look where we are now.

Still others said this would hurt tourism to OC... dosen't look like that happen either.

I would also like for someone to show me a vacation spot some where- anywhere that smoking bans have hurt business? Wait let me guess, amusment parks maybe right?? Yea I'll bet those "idiots" at Disney are really kicking themselves these days....

Sand Dollars

Interestingly, I saw on the news just last night that second-hand smoke is even more harmful that doctors and experts once thought. I may be an idiot, but I am an idiot what does not want to get cancer, bronchitis, or asthma because the person next to me is exercising his rights by blowing carcinogens in my face. I love the ban on smoking in restaurants, and I love the idea of the beach ban. As for enforcement, the Bethany police report that it has not been at all difficult. When someone lights up, an entire beach of people can and will smell it, and someone in that crowd will almost always say something. At that point, the smoker will have the option of ignoring the masses and risking having the police called and getting a fine, or putting out the cigarette. I think 98% of people will go with option 1, and the police can handle those few who decide to make a scene.

Sand Dollars

I love the comment in the article that if the smoking continues it will not be a "family friendly" place. It's funny how Ocean City seemed to get along fine with smokers the last 80+ years. Why all of a sudden is this such a big deal? We've known as a society for 20+ years now that smoking isn't good for you but all of a sudden everyone is all hot and bothered by it. Come on people, you are outside in open air! Some people act as if we were in a confined room with no ventalation. I occasionally smoke cigars on the beach but I am also aware of my surroundings when I do it. I know not everyone is as courtesy but it shouldn't be taken away from all. Some people just like to complain and there's just no way around it. As far as Ocean City being an ash tray, again nothing has changed in the past 80+ years. People still bring their children and families they same as they did many years ago. For me, this is a big THUMBS DOWN!!

tklt27
    Sand Dollars

I always stay in a hotel with a balcony overlooking the boards....would a boardwalk ban include this...I for one would be against a ban atleast on the boardwalk and I am not a smoker...Just someone who thinks the Govt controls enough already.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by OCMike

Come on people, you are outside in open air! Some people act as if we were in a confined room with no ventalation.

again nothing has changed in the past 80+ years.
    First of all Mike I enjoy your post on this board, but you are wrong - Studies have now proven that the once thought of "out in the open air policy" is incorrect. Even in and open air environment the effects of second hand smoke reach out 23 feet (kinda hard to get that far away from people on a busy day at the beach). Second only 17% of md population is smokers, so why should the other 83% be subject to this anyways??? I like to drink, but I don't do it out on the beach because it's against the law.

And to answer your other question, it's called education my friend. Education allows us as a society to evolve. (example) 80 years ago gays & lesbians were discriminated by society BUT through education and evolution of society, they can sit out in the open on the beach with their partners and be accepted without being harassed like they would have years ago... In short the whole world is different then it was 80 years ago. There is a reason why stores, restaurants, arena's, stadiums, race tracks, amusement parks, schools, and colleges, (just to name a few) are all going smoke free.

Lastly, for the record. I'm as conservative as they make em, I'm not a fan of big government at all, but I've been an asthmatic since I was a child and I can't tell you how many times my parents had to leave public places with me & administer medication to me when I was kid, because of people smoking. Live a childhood with that, and you'd think different on how this effects people. I assure you...

Sand Dollars

Wow Dean, if your parents were so concerned with you having asthma I have to wonder why they would even take you there? Don't blame the smoker. Blame the right people.

Yeah, we know. We're all stupid and you're always right. Carry on..... (the rest of us will continue to chuckle).

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL

Wow Dean, if your parents were so concerned with you having asthma I have to wonder why they would even take you there? Don't blame the smoker. Blame the right people.

Yeah, we know. We're all stupid and you're always right. Carry on..... (the rest of us will continue to chuckle).
    Blame them for taking me where?

Public places like restuarants?? Ball games??? yea.... bad parents.

matter of fact I'm going to call my mother right now,and ask her what she was thinking taking me to Sea World, and sitting me in those stands too watch that Shamu show!!! how stupid of her not to know somone would lite up a cigerrette during a show... being that I had asthma they should have just kept me at home - Oh and I guess that is the answer to other people in that same boat right? Keep the kids at home??

No, I never called you stuipid- Only you stooped that low to name calling in this thread.

So ya know what, we are never going to agree on this issue so I'm going to drop it because nothing possitive is coming from it.... I'll just keep sticking up for mine and other peoples right to breathe clean air - and you just go right on sticking up to give other people the permission to blow cancer causing smoke in your face.
    [removed offensive comment - admin]