+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

OC smoke free in 2011?

http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/article.php?cid=37&id=9379

In the article, they say they want feed back from the public.

I'm curious to see how our forum members feel on this subject. (I for one would support this 100%)

Sand Dollars

Re: OC smoke free in 2011?

I too, would support this 100 %

Sand Dollars

I'm no fan of smoking but this is kind of ridiculous. Does anyone realize how hard and expensive this would be to enforce? I'm of the position that there are more importanting issues to address.

Sand Dollars

I support it 100%. Nothing worse than some guy with a cigar plopping his beach chair 5 feet from your towel and lighting up.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum

Does anyone realize how hard and expensive this would be to enforce?

Well, I don't see how it would be any harder to enforce, then enforcing the ban on alcohol. Matter of fact I think it would be easier. As far as expensive - If you do it like Bethany it's $100 fine the 2nd time and $500 fine the 3rd, so in fact this would generate money for the town.

Sand Dollars

I'm not a smoker, never have been. And I was more than happy when they passed laws keeping smoke out of restaurants. But I think that there comes a point when passing laws because something ticks one or two people off becomes ridiculous. These are minor things right now. Soon it will be bigger things. And more rights will be lost. WE've lost sight of what things are worth arguing about and passing laws about. Cigarettes on a beach shouldn't be such a big deal. Do I like stepping on a cigarette butt in the sand, or smelling someone's cigar? No. But I don't like stepping in someone's dog's poop even more. But they don't enforce that law either. It's just silly to even waste money to try and enforce it. Who's going to do it? The lifeguards? I don't want my lifeguard distracted by a smoker when my child is in the ocean. 10 miles of beach is an awful big area to try and find the 100 or so smokers.

Kwhit

zo6rl..i would give 100 thumbs up if i could........and no ...i don't smoke.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL

I'm not a smoker, never have been. And I was more than happy when they passed laws keeping smoke out of restaurants. But I think that there comes a point when passing laws because something ticks one or two people off becomes ridiculous. These are minor things right now. Soon it will be bigger things. And more rights will be lost. WE've lost sight of what things are worth arguing about and passing laws about. Cigarettes on a beach shouldn't be such a big deal. Do I like stepping on a cigarette butt in the sand, or smelling someone's cigar? No. But I don't like stepping in someone's dog's poop even more. But they don't enforce that law either. It's just silly to even waste money to try and enforce it. Who's going to do it? The lifeguards? I don't want my lifeguard distracted by a smoker when my child is in the ocean. 10 miles of beach is an awful big area to try and find the 100 or so smokers.

What she said.

For the record, I don't smoke either and I have asthma. The only thing I agree with the reactionary Mr. Fox in the article is this "In addition, the cigarette butts on the beach and Boardwalk make Ocean City a big dirty ash tray." But so does the all the other trash from souveneir shops, straw papers from the various food and drink stands, etc... Basically, our fellow human beings are just pigs.

Sand Dollars

I'm also a life long non-smoker, but smokers do have rights.

What scares me is they're talking about banning smoking on the Boardwalk. With the amount of bars (in which you're no longer allowed to smoke) on the Boardwalk, that would be impossible. People who frequent the bars need to have a place to smoke. Are they going to have to walk to Baltimore Ave?

As for the beach. I will admit, it's frustrating when you set up a nice spot, then a person settles in front of you who decide to light up and the breeze blows the smoke right in your face. I actually wouldn't mind a beach smoking ban. But the Boardwalk is too far.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL

Hit the nail right on the head Z06RL!!! I'm not a smoker either BTW.