+ Reply to Thread
    A2Mom
    Sand Dollars

Peanut-Free Dining Options?

My family will be vacationing in Ocean City for the first time in late August/early September. My son, who is almost 11, is allergic to peanuts and we also avoid all tree nuts. I am having a heck of a time finding a restaurant that will be safe for him. It seems most places in OC use peanut oil in their fryers. Andre's favorite thing to eat in a restaurant is a burger and fries, so it's imperative we find a restaurant that does not fry in peanut oil.

I have emailed several restaurants and all have basically told me "Sorry, but I recommend you try somewhere else." I can't tell if they are honestly not able to accommodate my son, or if they're just doing the "CYA" thing because they'd rather not take the chance that my son could have a reaction in their restaurant. I don't insist that a restaurant be completely peanut and nut-free, but I do ask that a chef be very vigilant when preparing food for my son and that the servers do the same.

Eating out is a big treat for our kids and since we'll be in OC for two full weeks we are really hoping to find a restaurant or two where we can enjoy a nice meal. Any suggestions/ideas/recommendations? We've rented a condo and plan to cook most meals ourselves, but it would be nice to have a few lunches or dinners out so mom and dad can get a bit of a vacation too!

Many thanks!

Susan

Sand Dollars

Re: Peanut-Free Dining Options?

Captain's Table uses vegetable oil instead of peanut oil in their fryers.

http://www.captainstableoc.com/

It's a top notch restaurant and I'm sure they would be willing to do there best to accommodate your sons needs.

Sand Dollars

This is probably not what you want to hear but if my son had a nut allergy, there is absolutely no way he would eat at any restaurant in OC. I love OC and all it offers but not a chance will you find a restaurant that you will be guaranteed that it is nut free. Sorry

Sand Dollars

yeah you will be hard pressed to be completly safe, from what I understand cross contamination is a concern.

For what it's worth the Route 50 Diner purposely avoided buying peanut oil for their home cut fries, use 100% canola instead. The diner would be a good option in my opinion but you can never be safe.

Sand Dollars

My 7yr old son has is allergic to tree nuts, AND crustaceans (shrimp, crab, &lobster). We've been going out to eat with this knowledge for most of his life. We pay extra special attention to what he is ordering, being served, and eating. We take precautions at our own table to make sure no cross contamination occurs ie, him eating or drinking after someone else. I do not see any reason why restaurants in OC would be any higher risk then restaurants in your home town or anywhere else for that matter.

My advice would be to stick with good restaurants (like The Captains Table) and have a conversation with the management prior to dinner. A phone call the day before, during off hours (like 3-4pm), speak to the kitchen management about the situation, and feel it out from there.