+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Lightbulb June 7-9 Weekend Review

Well here is my first review of the year, sorry no pictures this time, so lets get started...

Thursday night we decided to just pick up a pizza from Grotto's since we were getting down there alittle late. They ended up messing up our order and I had to go back and pick up another pie. They gave me the one they messed up for free but still it was a pain to go back. Pizza that they made correct was pretty good.

Friday we headed down to the boards and had breakfast at my favorite spot, the Pirates Galley. The wife and I splitted the crab benedict and an order of the cpt. crunch french toast. It was amazing as usual. I also found out that yes the rumors are true that they are tearing that place down and putting a la quinta or whatever they are called in there, but that the Pirates Galley is going to relocate no matter what and they are just trying to finalize a spot to move to. The waitress we had said there was a spot only a block away that was looking really good, but I did not get an exact location.

Just snacks for lunch and then we went to Harpoon Hanna's for dinner. All of us but my mother had the AYCE crab legs. Mom got her favorite, which was some Mediterranean prime rib. Its basically prime rib with shrimp and scallops on top in a special sauce. It looked great and she loved it.

Saturday we started out running on the board walk and ran up to the end and had breakfast at the frog bar. I really wanted to go and have lunch there to try one of their burgers, but we just could not schedule it out and didnt want to get stuck down there with the air show and car traffic. Breakfast was ok. View was great. We all had breakfast sandwiches. Basic eggs, meat, and cheese, and they were good, but the hash browns that came with them were not good. Its to bad too because they had a really good flavor, but we literally had a pool of grease at the bottom of our plate. Im no health nut, but there really was a ton of grease and that just took away everything from the potatoes. I am going to go back next time for lunch and have a burger.

Snacks and leftovers again for lunch. For dinner we ended up going to liquid assets. This was a fantastic meal. We started out by picking a couple of meats and cheeses from the special menu for apps. All were great choices and tasted wonderful. For the main course I had the fried shrimp and grits. Not the normal fried shrimp I was expecting which was good. They were giant shrimp that only had a couple of bits of panko breading on them and were served over cheese grits. Awesome meal. The wife had a shrimp salad which I consider boring because all salads are the same to me. Mom had their burger what had great flavor and really good fries. Dad had the scallops over risotto. The scallops looked great the the risotto I snuck a bite of was really good. Dessert we had the brownie, the cinabon bread pudding, and the donut of the day special which had crushed oreos and I cant remember what for sauce it had but that was everyone's favorite dessert.

Sunday turned out to be a bit of a let down. Grabbed donuts and coffee from 7-11 for breakfast. Started to pack up and clean up the room. The plan was to hit the crabcake factory on our way out for cheese steaks, but my son fell asleep and we didnt want to waste that quiet time, so we decided to roll outta town early to try and get as much of the trip home knocked out while he was sleeping.

All in all the trip food wise I cannot complain. The weather was terrible and really sucked for my sons first trip, but hes only 6 months so I dont think it will scar him. Will be heading back in Sept if not sooner and hopefully I can give you some more reviews.

Thanks

Sand Dollars
    thanks for the review. sounds like you had some good stuff.
    common sense is not so common

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the write up Kirk. (just curious) I know you were on a fence between L.A. ,& Just Hooked - what ended up being the deciding factor in your decision?

Sand Dollars
    The meat and cheese selection was what drew us there this time. I thought my parents would enjoy that experience vs just going for a good meal. Will def be hitting up Just Hooked and maybe catch 54 in Sept.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for sharing your review, glad you had a great weekend.