+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCLove View Post
    That's awesome! Since you live at the beach where do you like to vacation? Do you ever stay at the hotels in OC?

Just a few weeks ago the Holiday Inn on 17th Street ran a weekday special during all of February that included a 3-course meal for 2 in Hemmingway's and an ocean front jacuzzi suite for $100 a night. I couldn't pass that up since the meal alone was almost worth that, so we did it for 2 consecutive nights. It was cool but not so cool as we couldn't walk the boards. And the bar was warm enough during happy hour. I never vacation in the summer since I live on vacation now.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by fpk View Post
    I moved to Ocean Pines full time after retiring 2 1/2 years ago. I've owned in the Pines for 6 years. I moved from Rockville, Montgomery County, MD just outside of DC, a 2 1/2 hour drive without traffic. I really love it out here, and don't miss the DC congestion and traffic at all. There's nothing better than the spring and fall week days that have outstanding weather, and there's almost no one around. And don't even get me started on the winter mid-week restaurant specials. The one thing I've noticed is I'm losing that feeling I used to get when I was still working and I came across the Rt. 90 bridge and first saw the OC skyline.
    fpk, I'm happy you mentioned that feeling when you cross the rt. 90 bridge. How exciting! I often wonder if it would change if you lived near OC. I am a teacher and sometimes think about working in OC during the summer.

Sand Dollars
    I'm about about 185 miles for us. was down for the day last Saturday. I grew up In Staten Island and we lived about a mile from the ocean up on a hill. Could see the ocean but was stil a thrill when we walked down there and got on the sand. Living in Allentown PA now is probably the furthest from the Atlantic I have ever lived but still get back to it as often as I can it never loses it's draw for me. I still have fond memories of going to Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn as a kid and going on the Cyclone in Coney Island over 45 years ago. Didn't Start heading down to OC until about 20 years ago.

Sand Dollars
    OClove---usually make two or three trips to OC each year. And spend anywhere from 2-4 months there in total. Favorite months are May, Sept. and Oct.

Sand Dollars
    190 miles which usually takes 3.5 to 3.75 hours. However, twice I have made the trip in less than 2.5 hours. Both times were for Crusin' events and I left Gettysburg at 11 pm. First time was right after I bought the 72 LeMans and made it down there in 2 hours 20 minutes. No stops, at all straight through. On 695, 795, and 97, I was close to pegging the speedometer (Triple digits) for almost the whole lengths. The 2nd time I made it in 2 hours 25 minutes in my 84 Monte Carlo. I didn't plan on stopping but I was forced to stop in Cambridge for gas as my gauge hit E. I had used 17 gallons in 135 miles. I'm sure I would've 'broke my record' if I didn't have to refuel. With the exception of driving through some of the towns on Route 50, I had the 85 mph speedometer pegged for a long time on that drive. Looking back, I'm not sure how I never got pulled over on those two runs. Now, I'm content making it there in 3.5 to 3.75 hours or longer especially if I stop off at Red Hot & Blues before the bay bridge.

Sand Dollars
    Since we live here, we never vacation in the summer. It is always vacation. So we travel in the winter, often to Florida, especially Key West, which I think is a lot like OC in some ways. Have also traveled quite a bit out of the country.

Sand Dollars
    Highball- That's great that you get to spend that much time in OC! Do you have a job that is flexible with your work schedule? I would love to spend a few months out of the year at the beach but I don't get that many vacation days lol.

Bob- You were very lucky on both occasions! When my Fiance and I head down to OC although we are in a hurry to get there we usually just cruise. Not worth getting a ticket on the way to our vacation. Once we hit Route 1 it's usuall smooth sailing from there.

mcpow- I have not left the country yet but look forward to doing so in the future. In May I will be in Puerto Rico for my honeymoon so I'm looking forward to that. It;s funny though because since I found this forum I've thought more about Ocean City than I have Puerto Rico.. kind of funny!

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCLove View Post
    In May I will be in Puerto Rico for my honeymoon so I'm looking forward to that. It;s funny though because since I found this forum I've thought more about Ocean City than I have Puerto Rico.. kind of funny!
    It might be "funny" but I can relate because, I've been going to the Caribbean on a regular basis for the past 13 years. I have a 7 night Disney Cruise coming up the end of April, and STILL OC remains my favorite vacation spot - I sink way more time and effort, in an attempt to get the most out of my visits to this town.

Sand Dollars
    336 miles and we're there at least 5 times a year. It's never too far.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    190 miles. Takes about 4 hrs going down "the back way" with a few stops. Own a trailer near Ocean Oines. I schedule my work vacation in a way that I'm able to come down every other week through the summer! Will open up in 2 weeks !!!