Thread: OC Airshow 2013

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

OC Airshow 2013

We had such a great time last year at this event, that we will be heading down again this year. The only complaint I had is the traffic trying to get from the airshow back up to 121st St. I think some of the problem was some car show that was also going on that weekend. Hopefully that wont happen again this year. Its just going to be my dad and I this year so we were thinking about splurging and getting the really expensive tickets to be in the penthouse hotel room, but still out on a limb between that and the medium price ticket option. Last year we bought the cheap tickets which were not bad but it was really crowded on that side and the food line was hours long. If anyone has bought the medium range tickets or the actual penthouse tickets before please let me know what you thought. Thanks!

ocairshow.com for more info....

Sand Dollars
    We plan to be in town for the airshow weekend as well but have not decided on logistics and am very interested in responses to this question as well.

Sand Dollars
    I know some people were saying that you don't have to pay anything that you can see the show from all over the beach, but I am glad we bought tickets last year for the cheap section. Even in that section you still had alittle room between families and you were right at show center which is nice with the announcer. Just outside of the ticket area looked like a sardine can, and when the tide came in it was a laughable mess watching all these people trying to move and no where to go. LIke I said before the major downside is the line for food and drinks, they really messed that up. Instead of having a line for drinks and a line for food there was only one line, so if you wanted a soda you still had to wait over an hour to get a drink. Def pack a cooler. The line for beer was nice though, that was never more than a couple people deep. We stay down on 121st street and although you can see the planes sometimes coming down that far to turn around, that is about it, so we have to venture down to the boardwalk area, and if we are going down that far already, we might as well just go to show center.

Sand Dollars
    Air Show Update: Blue Angels' 2013 Season, Including A June Stop In OC, Remains Unclear With Sequestration
    The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds cancelled their 2013 season after April 1, but Blue Angels "are standing by" for futher direction.

https://www.facebook.com/USNavyBlueA...99630283411428
    Last edited by DeanM; 03-02-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Sand Dollars
    Yep, the Thunderbirds cancelled for our local air show scheduled for the end of next month. Seems stupid to just cancel like that. It's the government! Give it a week and it will change. Glad that the Blue Angels are not getting over excited.
    As for the tickets, try the mid range tickets. My friends said they were worth the $$.
    Last year I had a chance for an oceanfront room right on 16th St. and didn't take it. Talk about buyers remorse! For me, that's the way to do it!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Yea I emailed the airshow company about refunds if the blue angels don't show and of course they said no chance. The Blue Angels and the F-22 raptors are all I really want to see. I love modern day military aircraft and the rest of the show is pretty much study time for me until the fighters show up. It really sucks also because there was a promotion this weekend to get 22% off tickets but it ended Sunday and like I said before I am not going if the angels dont show up.

Sand Dollars
    The Blue Angels are coming regardless of the govt situation...so says the paper anyway.

Sand Dollars
    Tollerby7 what paper are you talking about. I know the OCAirshow facebook page is saying they are coming but its not like they are going to say the blue angels are not coming. That is the reason why most of these people are going to the show. If this is a local paper they are going to say the same thing. This airshow brings in a ton of people and if the major performer is not going to show that is going to wipe out a huge chunk of the people coming. I am not buying tickets until the actual blue angels say they are coming.

Sand Dollars
    Worcester County Times

Sand Dollars
    There is breaking news today, albeit expected, regarding this June’s return of the OC Air Show.
    In a post to fans on its Facebook page, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels announced the end of its 2013 flying season. The move had been expected for weeks after the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds were grounded as a result of the government's sequestration cuts.
    “The Navy has decided to cancel the remaining 2013 Blue Angel performances and practice demonstrations as a result of the current Defense policy, which states that outreach events can only be supported with local assets at no cost to the government. Blue Angel pilots will continue to maintain minimum safe flying proficiency at Pensacola, Fla. These flights will be single sorties and not open to the public,” the post read. “The Blue Angels are disappointed in this decision but recognize this is one of many steps the Navy is taking to ensure resources are in place to support our forces operating forward now and those training to relieve them. … The Navy believes there is value in demonstrating the professionalism and capabilities of our Navy and Marine Corps team, thus inspiring future generations of Sailors and Marines. The Navy intends to continue aerial demonstration in the future when the budget situation permits.”
    The OC Air Show had previously told the Mayor and Council the show will go on June 8-9, even if the Blue Angels, the headline military team and easily the largest draw of the event, are grounded.
    To see this year’s lineup of booked acts, which are largely of the civilian nature, head over to www.ocairshow.com.