+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Fewer Restaurants in OC??

In a discussion recently about the closing of La Hacienda in OC a friend mentioned that, due to a variety of reasons, [limited season, high rents] the number of restaurants in OC is declining. I do not see that but it is an interesting observation. Can anyone provide any insight into whether we are seeing any growth or the opposite with restaurants in OC?

Sand Dollars
    It may be true (I'm sure there's evidence out there) , but I don't see it that way either, especially if you count pizza shops as "restaurants".

Sand Dollars
    Same here, no subjective evidence to me over the past few years. I believe the intent for the space vacated by LaHa is for another restaurant to open. Maybe they'll cue on Dean's suggestion for a Yucatan Mexican restaurant.

Sand Dollars
    I don't see any less restaurants, really, but a lot more changeover and a lot more limited hours like Thurs-Sun and closed times during the week than ever before. We went out on a Tuesday night late after kids went to sleep and went to 3 or 4 spots that the kitchen closed at 9.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin05 View Post
    a lot more changeover and a lot more limited hours like Thurs-Sun and closed times during the week than ever before. .
    I agree with this completely, but obviously the owners know their business (or at least you'd like to believe so...). It's a fine line because you can't make any money if you're not there, however if you open and there's no business then you're LOSING money. I once heard that the only reason some places stayed open at all in the off season was just to keep everything in working order for summer - not sure how true this is, but I guess it's possible.

Sand Dollars
    Well, Just Hooked is opening another location soon on 83rd St. I'm looking forward to that. Great food. Great restaurant. But Olive Tree is either already closed or will be soon closed. So it appears that when one place closes, another one opens. But I sure don't want to see fast food places take over either. Try and keep as many full service restaurants open as long as possible.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Is Just Hooked building a new place or are they moving into something that was already there?

Sand Dollars
    Just Hooked is opening up a NEW restaurant located where La Hacienda was. The new location will be called "Hooked", it will feature the same farm/ ocean to table theme found in their other 2 Delaware locations. There's lots of work that needs done, but they are shooting for a mid May opening. This is truly a geat addition to OC!

Sand Dollars
    Perfect location!

Sand Dollars
    Great news. Thanks Z06RL and Dean. I saw some workmen over there a couple of days ago and was going to stop by this week to check it out so you saved me a trip. Hope they are open for Springfest!
    Last edited by dctech; 02-20-2013 at 07:10 PM.