+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Station 7 Review

I'm well aware that there is already a thread about this restaurant on here, but since it doesn't contain any actual reviews I figured I'd start a new one.

We went to Station 7 last Sunday, got there as soon as they opened the doors for lunch. As tczop, mentioned the decor is awesome. Very modern looking sports bar feel. They set it up perfectly with the bar in the back of the restaurant, so it gives you a much more family atmosphere when you walk through the front doors. The purple back lighting give you a hint of where you are, and if that doesn't convince you just go during the Ravens game and ceiling to floor screen they roll down to show case the game on will make a believer out of you. The only thing they are missing here is a hostess! Nobody is there at the door, so customers kept coming in and had no idea if they should wait or seat themselves. You could see people felt very uncomfortable in this situation, and I felt uncomfortable for them. Not sure if this is normal here or not, but if it is,]his needs to get fixed fast!

Now on to the most important part - The food! - I asked our waitress what she would recommend, She suggested the chili, which after it came out I took a second look at the spelling of this dish, as it came out COLD! Ok, she took it back and brought out new, this time it was hot, so problem solved. I understand that this has won them awards, but this was not good chili by my standards. To me it was way to sweet, and not enough heat, I like chili to have a good front heat, followed by a balance of sweet a savory followed by some good back heat. There is some flavor here, but to me there is no balance, they could cut the honey or what ever sweetening agent by HALF. Everybody has different taste buds of coarse, but this just didn't get it for me, and I was disappointed. I should mention though that my wife really did like the chili and she's not really a chili fan, so.... I dunno.

I followed up the chili with a pulled pork sandwich (also recommended by the server) not the worst pulled pork ever, but definitely not the best either. Station72_n.jpgThe portion was small, and a rather generic type bun, the sauce was different, like the chili who's ever making these has a heavy hand with the sugar. Although it would be a good sauce for ribs, I just don't think it had enough tang for the sandwich. They say you eat with your eyes first, this didn't even look all that great, again disappointing from a place that supposed to be specializing in BBQ. My wife had a buffalo chicken salad, which was great! A huge salad with sliced breaded chicken coated in a classic buffalo style hot sauce, loaded up with mounds of crumbled blue cheese this salad had me wishing I'd have ordered wings instead.Station7_n.jpg My 9 year old ordered chicken strips which were also surprisingly good, hand breaded chicken tenders that were fried to perfection, and seasoned just right. Station73_n.jpgThe fries were also good, hand cut from nice sized potatoes, and appeared to be double fried, as they were cooked both on the inside as well as the outside.

So, would/will I go back? Probably. Even though it scored a 50 percent with me on the food I'd give it another shot. I realize that they only opened weeks ago, and I feel confident they'll work out all the bugs over the next couple of months, I'd just order differently...

Also here's my son sporting his Polamalu jersey in Raven's territory! LOL
    Racesteelerjersey_n.jpg
    Last edited by DeanM; 01-02-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the review Dean! Sounds like it's worth a try. Hopefully, the food will get better as we get closer to summer.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks, Dean. I haven't made it to the WOC location yet, Hopefully it's just rough edges from just opening. I've had their brisket a few times in Pittsville and have really enjoyed it.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the review. Sounds like a cool atmosphere. Maybe we will give it a try.

Sand Dollars
    dctech, fpk, & seagirl, I definitely think it's worth a try. I'm confident the rough edges will get smoothed out.

(100 views and 3 replies???)

Sand Dollars
    Good job Dean; food comments didn't surprise me this time. I also hope they get their act together before the crowds hit. On our quick stop we only had the wings and a drink. The wings were good but nothing to brag about but we figured it would give us a quick test of the other food. Hopefully we'll hit it again within the next month or so and will try something that is smoked onsite since that seems to be their specialty. The money spent on the decor, TV's and bathrooms was well spent; now they need to ensure high quality food that will make them a winner, which they seem very capable of after talking to several staff members. Wishing them the best.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by tczop View Post
    Good job Dean; food comments didn't surprise me this time. I also hope they get their act together before the crowds hit. On our quick stop we only had the wings and a drink. The wings were good but nothing to brag about but we figured it would give us a quick test of the other food. Hopefully we'll hit it again within the next month or so and will try something that is smoked onsite since that seems to be their specialty. The money spent on the decor, TV's and bathrooms was well spent; now they need to ensure high quality food that will make them a winner, which they seem very capable of after talking to several staff members. Wishing them the best.
    Agreed, not only are the bathrooms dressed to the 9's, they were clean enough to be on a Disney Cruise Ship!

Sand Dollars
    I always enjoy your reviews, I may try this one at least once. The pictures of their food aren't enticing me though, so it's a maybe...

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OC_Melanie View Post
    I always enjoy your reviews, I may try this one at least once. The pictures of their food aren't enticing me though, so it's a maybe...
    Thanks Melanie, I understand where you are coming from, & I agree, the pictures DO speak volumes... I was pretty hard on them when it came to that pulled pork sandwich, and rightfully so - it even LOOKED pathetic! I'm glad I have the picture to back up my criticism. Even though the sald my wife had, and the chicken my son ordered were on point, if a place can't deliver on the items they supposedly specialize in, it's usually a one and done for me - HOWEVER, (as discussed in the above posts) I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here, based ENTIRELY on the fact, that they just opened. If you enlarge the picture of my son, you can get a pretty good look at the interior design in the back ground. No arguing they've sunk a ton of money into this place - kudos to them! Unfortunately, even the best of decor in the dining room, can not offset failures in the kitchen.

Like I said, I absolutely WILL go back. I'll give em some time to work out the kinks, and order differently....

Sand Dollars
    It does look nice inside. It may be more of a mixed drinks, order some apps place for us. Definitely do a follow up review if you go back again.