Thread: Fox

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Fox

So.... Saturday night I was driving up coastal highway, and a fox (yes a fox!) ran right out in front of my van! I've been coming to OC for over 4 decades and never seen or heard of this happening before - Anyone else ever experience this???

Sand Dollars
    I know there is a fox that lives in the "rough" area behind Old Pro Golf and Ace hardware on 68th street. Been there for 3-4 yrs now. Doesn't bother anybody

Sand Dollars
    I have seen one around 135th on the beach and in the dunes several times. He drives my dog nuts!!!

Sand Dollars
    I wonder if they eat sea gulls?

Sand Dollars
    They're all over Assateague Island. Yes, they do eat seagulls. Several years ago, they had a fox with mange in our camping loop. Some campers were freaking out because, as they put it "This dingo just ate a bird, somebody needs to do something". The poor camp host was being bugged for days about the dingo. We just laughed over the naked fox. Rangers finally managed to trap it and cart it off to naked fox heaven.

Sand Dollars
    I knew they were on Assateague, but I guess I just figured the city would be an unlikely home for em - Sounds like it's not as rare of a sighting as I originally thought.

Sand Dollars
    I've seen red foxes quite a few times in OC. Usually from my balcony on the ocean early in the morning, but I've seen them at night as well. It's really not all that uncommon. I've actually seen more fox than I have cats in OC. Hmmmmm........maybe that explains it!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I got some good pictures of one from our balcony on 59th Street back in 2011. That was the nature week for us...fox on Friday morning and tornado/waterspout the previous night. We got good pictures of both.

Sand Dollars
    There are actually several fox colonies around OC. Many foxes live in the sand dunes, but there are also some that frequent Sunset Island on 67th Street and Caine Woods up north. It is actually an interesting study on how nature adapts. Soon after the dunes were built, rabbits started to move in there. They had no predators, and as rabbits will do, they multiplied. There was actually a concern that their burrows and consumption of the dune grass could become a problem and weaken the dunes. However, soon foxes appeared. There are not a lot of them, but they keep the rabbit population in check and the number of rabbits limits the number of foxes too.

I have seen foxes many times both on the bayside and in the dunes midtown. They are around all year, but in the summer seem most active early in the morning when things are quietest. They pose no threat to people, but should be treated as wild animals (since they are) and not be fed or disturbed.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the info Ranger OCGuy