+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Best place to visit on Assateague

Have a family trip coming up to OC and we are thinking about going to assateague for a day trip. Is it worth paying to enter into the state park,,I have a cousin who said that you can go to the north side and it is pretty nice also,without paying the fee for each car. Everyone wants to stay on somewhat of a budget,,what is the rate per person/car. How do you go into the northern part.

Sand Dollars

Re: Best place to visit on Assateague

I can only speak for Assateague State Park. They have a nice beach and day use area. There is also a very nice camp store with concession stand. The food isn't cheap but most of it is good. I believe day use parking is either $5 or $7 per car. What I don't know is "are the life guards on duty" this time of year.

The national park entrance fee is $10.00 per car, or at least it was last year when we went in. The national park does offer canoeing in the bay weather and wind condition permitting. There day use beach is normally protected by life guards, but again, I'm not sure about off season.

Before you cross the bridge into Assateague, there is a very nice visitors center on the right. This was just built a little over 1 year ago and offers some great exhibits. The pedestrian bridge is also a nice walk on a good day. There are some interesting facts on posted at the top and two telescopes that you can use to look at Ocean City or view the island.

Sand Dollars

National Park is $15 a car for a one week pass. The beach is nice but watch out for the "road apples".

Sand Dollars

Definitely stop at the Visitor Center. Lots of exhibits and well worth stopping to see.

Sand Dollars

Sept 29 is free for the National Park. The state is $3/car.

Sand Dollars

No matter where on Assateague you go it will be good. I think the National park actually went up to $20 per car for a weeks pass. Where to go depends on what you want to do there. Are you looking to just hike? lay on the beach? See the ponies? I agree with the others the visitor center is the best place to start you can ask the rangers and they even sometimes have walking tours set up.

Sand Dollars

Just mostly sightseeing,,have some older folks so not much walking/hiking. Would love to see the horses,,would they be more prevalent on state side or federal side. Would like to check out campgrounds,are they on state or fed side. is there picnic spots on state side.

Sand Dollars

Another note on Assateague State Park, they close the last weekend of October. Unless something has changed, the National Park is opened year round.

Sand Dollars
    The national park is open year round and have found in the part after the summer moths the horses stay more on the bay side. The people at the welcome center can give you an ideas of what to go see depending on the time of year you are there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martyde...7622877726522/
    Last edited by pavisitor; 10-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.