+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    deedee3370
    Sand Dollars

When your beach becomes the surfing beach

Just curious what is everyones opinion about surfing beaches? I was in Ocean City for a couple of days last week and was staying at the Dunes Manor Hotel, which is not exactly cheap this time of year. On Friday directly in front of the Dunes, the beach was turned into a surfing beach. Now I, who does not surf, thought that this really was a bad idea. There was a sandbar in the water in which many people waded through some water then climbed onto the sand dune to get to the waves. Around noon, this lady came with her whistle and was chasing everyone off of the sand dune and out of the water so the surfers could surf. As people came strolling down the beach, which happens all the time, she would blow her whistle and make them get off of the sand dune. She appeared to be rude chasing people away from the area. If you are casually walking down the beach, you don't know you are coming up to a surfing area. I understand that the surfers have a right to surf but I think there should be a more realistic time of the day for that, lets say after 5 when people have had their fill of the beach for the day. In all the years of coming to OC, this is the first time I have ever encountered this, and I have to say, it was annoying that I could not go in the water in front of my hotel, that I paid alot of money for. What is your opinion of this?

Sand Dollars

Re: When your beach becomes the surfing beach

I thought you could only surf during certain hours. If that's the case, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's like skim boarding. My son can only do it before 10 and after 4.

Sand Dollars

You can surf anywhere before or after life guard hours. During hours there are 2 beaches that move daily that are "surfing beachs", and usually they are identified with large flags.

Yes I've had them on "my" beach before and it is a pain to move down but i thinks its good. If there were not surfing beaches you would trying to mix surfers and little kids. Thats what I call bad surf & turf. (Cue CSI music) This way makes it easy, if you don't have a surf board you stay out of the water.They are pretty fun to watch too.

I could see the lifegaurd getting annoyed, trying to keep everyone out of the water. But it would be annoying.

Sand Dollars

So given that, deedee only had this problem for one day? I'm not sure I would be upset over that.

Sand Dollars

I have no problem with surfing beaches. Move yourself one block up or one block down for the day. You mentioned you have never encountered this before in all the years you've come to OC and you are complaining about it happening for one day at "your" beach...sheesh...

Sand Dollars

"Our" beach was the surfing beach two weekends ago. We moved down a bit, and it was more crowded than usual, but hey, it only happens once a year, and it was pretty cool watching the surfers. We had 7 foot waves that day, and they were putting on quite a show.

Surfers have the right to enjoy the waves all day, not just in the morning and evening. This method is much better for them (they don't have to contend with swimmers and little kids) and much safer for us. I say deal with it for one day a year.

Sand Dollars

They started rotating the surf beach a long time ago and I can only remember 1 day in all those years that the block I stayed on was the surf beach. And, if I remember correctly, there were no rules about being on the beach. That day I think we still "set up camp" in our same spot, we just had to walk a little further to get in the water. I enjoy watching the surfers. I actually wish I learned to surf. I have no gripes at all. In fact, I think OC has a good system going for the surfers.

Sand Dollars

They have had the moving surf beaches for many many years so I guess she got lucky on the other years. I think the way they run it is very smart. I don't surf by the way but I'm not sure that should matter any way.

Sand Dollars

I agree its a good system. In all of my years going to OC we have only had it on "our" beach once.

deedee3370
    Sand Dollars

Yes in all the years I've been coming to OC this was my first encounter with it. Guess I've been lucky. I was just wondering how others felt about it. It just struck me as odd that this lady was running up and down the sand bar yelling at people and blowing her whistle when people were just strolling casually up the sand bar. She wasn't a lifeguard in a red bathing suit. She was wearing a green bathing suit and a hat, so you really had no idea who she was. Most people don't look up on the beach for a sign that says surfing beach as they are walking on the beach. Didn't mean to upset people, I was just curious what your view was on it.