+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: 2012 Dining Report

Dean the oysters look great. I always tend to go for the raw variety though. I had some fried oysters at fish tales a few years back and they were pretty good. I do enjoy grilled oysters and oysters Rockefeller. For me too much manipulation of the oyster is like putting up in the Balvenie you mentioned.

As an off topic side note the Balvenie 15 year goes amazingly well with hot apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

brianpa

Sand Dollars

I usually don't order dessert when dining out because I typically like to save some room for a snack on the Boardwalk, but I might have to make an exception for the orange crush cake.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098

I usually don't order dessert when dining out because I typically like to save some room for a snack on the Boardwalk, but I might have to make an exception for the orange crush cake.
    yea, sometimes we do this too, but my kids would rather pass on dinner than dessert, when it comes to Harborside and this cake...

Thanks for tip Brian, not that I don't trust you, but might have to test this compatibility for myself.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by DeanM

on a side note, I tried a single malt the other day that you might like - "The Balvenie". It's double cast, and very different.
    Thanks Dean, I will give it a try for sure just to see if "very different" is good in this case. It is amazing how different scotches can taste though. Staying off topic again; here is one back at you and brian as fellow scotch drinkers, Usquaebach, a friend of mine gets in in NY and it also has a good but different taste but I'm not sure where to buy it when I have some extra ching-ching in the pocket...I'll google it to see who carries it.

Lastly, I just read about one from Macallan that I have not tried but they advertise it as unblended which is very uncommon...Macallan Cask Strength Scotch 58.2%.

Sand Dollars

I got to try the orange crush cake. It looks so good!!!

Sand Dollars

I'm in upstate NY (Albany) and can get that scotch here. I think it's $65-70/bottle.

Should I bring some down with me when we're there in September?

Sand Dollars

That comment regarding Usquaebach Scotch brings about a fond memory of my days living in Pittsburgh. An acquaintenance of ours named Stanley Stankovich purchased the exclusive rights to sell Usquebach Scotch in the USA. It was originally an exclusive scotch reserved for the queen of England until the company fell on difficult times. [can't remember if this was the 70s or 80s] . At the time the Pa state stores would not special order a liquor unless it was by the case so a group of us got together and we came up with a case order at $64 a bottle to help out Stanley. I was not a scotch drinker but my friends that were seemed to think it was something special.

A funny note is that shortly after Stanley obtained the US rights [Stanley had some money but was by no means rich and had extended himself on this opportunity] it was announced that royalty would be coming to Pittsburgh. Stanley was expected to put on the ritz, hire a limo, offer free Usquebach scotch to the royals and a few other things most of which he could not afford. Poor Stanley we used to say. I never did find out if Stanley was successful and have been away from Pittsburgh for some time. I hope he made it. A Polish guy serving the queens scotch. It doesn't get any better than that.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by tczop
    I just read about one from Macallan that I have not tried but they advertise it as unblended which is very uncommon...Macallan Cask Strength Scotch 58.2%.
    Yeah, I read about this as well, interesting.... FYI, Cragganmore, & Oban, were both $20 a bottle cheaper at Bayside Wine & Spirits (next to Harris Teeter) in Fenwick De., than they are here in PA.

....in an effort to bring this thread back ON topic - I forgot to mention on our last day of vacation we had some pretty decent brick oven pizza from J&J Pizza in west Ocean City, tried 4 different pies that were all good, but I'd recommend the Old World Pizza, if flavor is the goal. This pizza is basically what I think of as Margherita pizza, (tomatoes, sauce, mozzarella, basil)but it's loaded with fresh minced GARLIC ~ make sure everybody has a slice....

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by JackB

That comment regarding Usquaebach Scotch brings about a fond memory of my days living in Pittsburgh. An acquaintenance of ours named Stanley Stankovich purchased the exclusive rights to sell Usquebach Scotch in the USA. It was originally an exclusive scotch reserved for the queen of England until the company fell on difficult times. [can't remember if this was the 70s or 80s] . At the time the Pa state stores would not special order a liquor unless it was by the case so a group of us got together and we came up with a case order at $64 a bottle to help out Stanley. I was not a scotch drinker but my friends that were seemed to think it was something special.

A funny note is that shortly after Stanley obtained the US rights [Stanley had some money but was by no means rich and had extended himself on this opportunity] it was announced that royalty would be coming to Pittsburgh. Stanley was expected to put on the ritz, hire a limo, offer free Usquebach scotch to the royals and a few other things most of which he could not afford. Poor Stanley we used to say. I never did find out if Stanley was successful and have been away from Pittsburgh for some time. I hope he made it. A Polish guy serving the queens scotch. It doesn't get any better than that.
    Thanks Jack, thats was very interesting..."supposedly" the bottles my friend gets in NY are more like $125 a bottle and the bottle is very unique for sure.

Okay back on topic, sorry Dean. Dean, I have meant to ask you several times if you have ever been to Ristorante Antipasti on 31st Street. I know from reading your posts that you do enjoy your Italian foods and love Mia F. I have been meaning to get to this place as it has been recommended a couple of times by one of my local friends who rave about the food. Seems I do not remember anyone speaking of it on this Forum.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by tczop
    Dean, I have meant to ask you several times if you have ever been to Ristorante Antipasti on 31st Street. I know from reading your posts that you do enjoy your Italian foods and love Mia F. I have been meaning to get to this place as it has been recommended a couple of times by one of my local friends who rave about the food. Seems I do not remember anyone speaking of it on this Forum.

Oh yea, matter of fact I've written several reviews on here about Antipasti (gotta go all the way back to the "08 dining report" to find em). Haven't been there in 4 years, but every time we are in town we kick around going again. The food was always top notch, and the waitstaff was very professional. I would consider this "fine dining" There have been a few negative posts on here about it over the years, but It's not your typical red sauce spaghetti house that gives you a plate of pasta so big you can't find the bottom of the dish served up with 1/2 a head of iceberg for a salad - and I think that's what some people are expecting!! It's more of a Northern Italian Cuisine, offered in smaller European sized portions. If you go there and don't order all the courses, you're probably going to leave there hungry.