+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Kuyaba
    Sand Dollars

Re: 2012 Dining Report

Thanks, Dean - I love your dining reports. I could have written the same reviews for Just Hooked, Captain's Table and Mio Fratello. We went to Just Hooked twice last year and I can't wait to go this year.

Sand Dollars

Thank you Seashell, pictures don't really do it a justice though (my droid doesn't take very good pics).

Thanks Kuyaba, but are you saying that you ALSO had a bad experience at The Captain's Table??

Sand Dollars

Since I'm the social director of our trip, I had already penciled in The Captain's Table to this year's week.

If this place is slipping, I'm certain I could find another place to fill the void. We were greatly disappointed in the one of the new places we tried last year (mainly because of the service) and I'd prefer not to make another bad choice.

Sand Dollars

Good job as usual Dean. I've had my eye on Just Hooked and now your review "set the hook" for us, lol. Since we don't enjoy the traffic going up during the main season we will definitely hit it after Labor Day sometime. Your review, the comparison to The Shark and the menu all point to a winner for us. Will plan on the Atlantic Hotel as well since you have mentioned they highly before.

I agree that writing or hearing anything bad about the Captain's Table is a let down for sure. I've been enjoying their food since the late 80's and have said many times that is my favorite restaurant overall because it has been absolutely consistent in what they served. Though I will give them at least two or three strikes on food quality before I bail on them, I have noticed that some of the servers in the dining room (not all by any means) do seem to be very lackadaisical in their service. Which amazes me at times since the dining area never seems overly busy. That is another reason that my wife and I enjoy eating at the high top tables in the bar area if it is just the two of us. The bartenders (Steve is our facvorite) there are very efficient and very informative and we enjoy the atmosphere more then the open dining room. Hopefully hearing a few negative comments by "the pope" himself will wake them up...lol.

Sand Dollars

Just hooked website. Looks like a good variety of a menu and reasonably priced

www.justhookedfi.com

Sand Dollars

Great review Dean. I hope you had a relaxing trip. Our trip starts in a little over 4 weeks and we are getting exited. I too was surprised by your review of the Captain's Table. It has not been the same for me since it reopened. The food has always been the same but the ambiance has just never been right. I will add Just Hooked to our "hope to do list". The shark too has been on that list for years as we only hit a few new places every year.

We hit Harborside a few years ago and the service turned us off. We haven't been back since but your review perked some interest. We would hit the Shark and Just Hooked before the Harborside again.

Liquid Assets is one of my favorite mommy and daddy night out places. I think too many people are finding out about it though. Last year we almost couldn't get a seat at the bar. Maybe keep this place quiet.

brianpa

Sand Dollars

Thanks sooo much for sharing the pics, both look amazing ) Now I'm really ready to go to OC & have some good food.

Sand Dollars

Great reviews....glad to see a Fenwick Fan here!!!!!!

Sand Dollars

@Brookie, I can't tell you if you should axe it or not... in fact the very last thing I would want is to HURT their business. What I'd like to see happen is - the owners read my ( and other's) reviews and make the corrections it would take to make this the kind of place that people can patronize with confidence. When you have a chef that over cooks fish to the point it's dry, and ruins a $35 cut of meat, there is serious issues. When the place is a fraction of the way full and the servers are overwhelmed, again you have issues...AND what makes it truly tragic is they CAN do it right! (the other filet was spot on perfect.) They have a great reputation, a solid menu, and a killer location, but they seem to lack management.

@Tzcop, Thank you (read above paragraph ^ in regards to Captains table) I really do believe Just Hooked is comparable to The Shark, as far a food goes, but you probably are better to wait till after labor day, as they do NOT take reservations and it was very busy. _ on a side note, I tried a single malt the other day that you might like - "The Balvenie". It's double cast, and very different.

@bar, yea for what you get it's reasonable.

@brian, I'd say give Harborside another chance. Maybe I just happened to hit em when all the stars lined up just right, but honestly think they turned it around. Also, considering what a huge oyster fan you are, I'm posting this pick of the fried oysters we had at Just Hooked... Enjoy!

[img width=264 height=149]/userfiles/2012-07-02_17-37-16_441.jpg[/img]

@Captpat, yes indeed! & the good news is the "NEW FORUM" is going to have a Fenwick section!

Sand Dollars

Oysters are on my "try it" list this year after hearing so many people on here like them.