+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

DEWTOUR: WELCOME BACK!

LISA CAPITELLI ¦ Assistant Editor
    (April 20, 2012) It’s official. The Dew Tour will return to Ocean City this summer.

Earlier this week, Alli Sports, a division of the NBC Sports Group, announced a four-year renewal of its partnership with Mountain Dew, along with the 2012 Dew Tour schedule — Ocean City is stop No. 1.

“I’m both happy and excited. The dates were set — we were just waiting for them to make it official,” Mayor Rick Meehan said this week. The Ocean City Council in January set aside Aug. 16-19, for the East Coast leg of the 2012 Dew Tour, as requested by the tour’s planners, Alli Sports. “The Dew Tour is a great event for Ocean City and it will continue to grow and be more successful.”

Meehan attended many of the resort competitions last year, when the tour made its Ocean City debut. He presented a special award to Brazilian Pedro Barros, winner of the skate bowl contest.

“It went off perfectly last year and I’m sure there will be some changes to make it even better this year,” Meehan said of the Dew Tour, adding that for a first-time resort event of that magnitude, everything went better than expected.

Ocean City was the first of four stops during the tour’s 2011 season and its first beachfront venue. A vertical ramp for skate and BMX competitions, a skate bowl and a BMX park were set up on the beach, along with a festival village, between Dorchester and Talbot streets. Qualifying rounds of the Pantech Open took place July 21, and were free to attend. Tickets sold out for the July 22-24 competitions, but the festival village was free all four days.

The Pantech Open set a Dew Tour attendance record by drawing approximately 73,000 fans during its four-day run.

“From the record-setting attendance to the incredible success of the musical component in 2011, Ocean City was a major success for the Dew Tour,” said Dew Tour General Manager Chris Prybylo. “In addition to being a perfect fit for our beach venue, we’ve also developed great partnerships with the entire Ocean City government, including the mayor, City Council and the town of Ocean City staff. We have incredible relationships with local businesses, and the fans showed tremendous support. We’re ready to build on that for 2012, and to say we’re excited to return is an understatement.”

Athletes competed in extreme heat as temperatures reached triple digits in the area last year, and the oppressive humidity made it feel as hot as 115 degrees at times. BMX rider Dennis Enarson, a California native, was one of those athletes. He placed second in the BMX Park event.

“Ocean City was really fun and having the course right on the beach was cool,” Enarson said Wednesday. “I’ll definitely be back, for sure. It was my first time [in Ocean City] and I can’t wait to come back.”

The tour has been reshaped to showcase action sports in three large-scale, premium and “grand-slam” style events. The 2012 Dew Tour locations are Ocean City, Aug. 16-19, San Francisco, Oct. 18- 21, and Breckenridge, Colo., Dec. 13-16.

Prybylo said Dew Tour representatives have worked closely with a number of athletes for the past six months to determine the best mix of sports and disciplines at each stop this year. When the Dew Tour originated seven years ago, it filled the role of introducing action sports to a wide audience, through multiple events across the country, he said.

In the future, the Dew Tour will fill a different need, bringing action sports to the next level with bigger, better events, Prybylo said.
    “Our beach, city and mountain theme provides a fresh and exciting direction for the sports to progress, and each of the three events will draw inspiration from the host city to create its own identity,” he said. “The voices of the athletes and industry members we’ve held panels with have helped guide the development of the new model, and we’re looking forward to it all coming together.”
    The 2012 Dew Tour will include more than 30 hours of live television programming on NBC and NBC Sports Network as well as coverage on nbcsports.com and allisports.com. Those same channels will also broadcast the Summer Olympics in London, July 27-Aug. 12. During the Olympics, promotions for the Dew Tour will air. The coverage Ocean City will receive before and during the Dew Tour is priceless.

“The amount of TV coverage Ocean City got last year was incredible,” said Susan Jones, executive director of the Ocean City Hotel-Motel-Restaurant Association. “It generated a huge amount of exposure for Ocean City that you can’t buy. I think it brought a new type of tourist to Ocean City-those that follow action sports.”

Donna Abbott, Ocean City’s interim tourism director, said she heard nothing but positive comments from people regarding the 2011 event, including how great the town looked on national television. The spotlight on the town was very favorable and opened the door to other opportunities, she said. Promoters of other events showed interest in Ocean City because of the media coverage during the Dew Tour.

Summer business tends to slow down in mid-August, said Greg Shockley, owner of Shenanigan’s Irish Pub, on the Boardwalk at Fourth Street, so Ocean City might benefit from the tour taking place at that time as opposed to July, when tourism is at its peak.

“It will work in everyone’s favor that time of year,” Abbott said. “It was amazing how well everything went for a firsttime event last year and this year should be even better. We’re absolutely thrilled to once again be the kick-off site.”

Sand Dollars

Re: DEWTOUR: WELCOME BACK!

anyone else going to be in town for the Dew Tour?

Sand Dollars

no

Sand Dollars

hi bar2008. Have you ever been to this event in the past? I'm trying to see if there is something we would enjoy going to or if it's something geared for younger people.

Sand Dollars

no, never have been to the dew tour. It is something that just does not interest me.

Sand Dollars

I'd be interested in seeing the events. I have a lot of respect for these athletes. They aren't all in their 20's anymore. And some of the amazing things they can do these day amaze me. It never hurts to spend a day around younger people. It keeps ME young at heart!

Sand Dollars

I wasnt able to make it last year, hope to go this year!

annie 79
    Sand Dollars

I've never been but it really does sound like fun.

Sand Dollars

It was great last year, plenty of people, and plenty of sun....for the most part.

Sand Dollars

I will be down on vacation while it's going on. Although I don't know much about the events etc. I'd like to check it out and see what's happening in general. I'll take some pictures to share.