+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Place to stay and Eat On the Way Down

My father had asked me to post on this subject. My parents drive to Ocean City to meet us every year. As they have gained more experience with life they like to stay over night on the way down. They travel from Pittsburgh. The ideal stop over would be just over the Bay Bridge on the Ocean City side.

They are looking for a decent place to stay and more importantly nice restaurant to eat. In a perfect world my dad would like to go to a locals place you would see on the food network. My dad has similar tastes to Sandy Claws so if you are reading this please chime in. The type of hidden gem with great crabcakes or my dad's favorite broiled lump crab meat finished with sherry. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

brianpa

Sand Dollars

Re: Place to stay and Eat On the Way Down

For just an overnight stay there is a nice Holiday Inn Express on Kent Island. It's a little pricey on the weekends, but not bad on the weekdays. Expresses don't have a lot of amenities, but for an overnight stay, who cares? There are some great places to eat nearby. There's Hemmingway's on Kent Island and just across Kent Narrows is Fishermans Inn.

http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/us/en/grasonville/kntmd/hoteldetail

http://www.fishermansinn.com/

http://www.hemingwaysbaybridge.com/

Sand Dollars

Harris' on Kent Island is excellent for crabs. Also, it's a bit out of the way but St Michaels on the peninsula has some excellent restaurants.

Sand Dollars

I agree that the Grasonville area, just past Kent Island, about 10 miles from the Bay Bridge, is the best place to stop. If they want to go a bit further there are some motels in Easton which is about 25 miles from the bridge.

If they stay in the Kent Island area, I second the recommendation for Harris Crab House. I've tried most of the places in that area - and all are very good - but Harris is my favorite. They have whole belly fried clams, which very few places have and they also have great softcrabs. No one in my family has ever been disappointed in anything we have gotten there. Last February I drove all the way from Northern Virginia over there just to have lunch there on my birthday!

Sand Dollars

I agree with Harris Crab House. For something a bit fancier, you can try the Narrows. For breakfast or a good milkshake there is always Holly's. I miss this area. Since we are now coming down from Upstate NY, we no longer travel through.

The HI Express is right in the action (you can walk to Harris). I've also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn (a bit fancier). Down the road a bit is the Sleep Inn, which may be an option.

Watch out for 2-night minimums during the summer.

If your father doesn't want to go that far, I suggest staying in the Hanover, MD area near BWI (off of Route 100). There are a lot of hotels and food options (mostly chains, but there are a few other places as well).

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by brianpa

My father had asked me to post on this subject. My parents drive to Ocean City to meet us every year. As they have gained more experience with life they like to stay over night on the way down. They travel from Pittsburgh. The ideal stop over would be just over the Bay Bridge on the Ocean City side.

They are looking for a decent place to stay and more importantly nice restaurant to eat. In a perfect world my dad would like to go to a locals place you would see on the food network. My dad has similar tastes to Sandy Claws so if you are reading this please chime in. The type of hidden gem with great crabcakes or my dad's favorite broiled lump crab meat finished with sherry. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

brianpa
    This is a great idea for a thread, wish I'd ha thought of it...lol All kidding aside, Kent Narrows is decent, I've actually stayed at the above mentioned Hoilday inn express, no complaints. Looks like we got some good suggestion on eatery's in the previous posts as well. http://www.redeyedockbar.com/ is a happening place, but might not be an option with the kids.

Sand Dollars

I appreciate the responses. My dad said the information looks helpful and he is looking into the places mentioned. Child friendly is not important as we travel separate from my parents. I still like to get to the beach asap, especially with the kids. My father mentioned yesterday that they may even spend 2 nights on the way down.

brianpa

Sand Dollars

If he's going to spend some time in the area, he might want to consider visting one of the wildlife sanctuaries. We went to Horsehead Farm Wildlife Sanctuary and it was a nice visit.

There's plenty of good places to eat in area, so they won't run into trouble there!

Elios
    Sand Dollars

if there coming down 83 Huntvally just over the MD line isnt bad

its about 3 hours to the beach from there (used to live there)

TONS of places to eat and stay Corner Stable would be the go to for a local place

http://www.cornerstable.com/

i drove out to MD from MO with my GF and roommates and stoped at my aunts home in Huntvally worked out well

Sand Dollars

we always stop at the Hardees at the bay bridge its just sooo good and there is never a line