+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: Which restaurant does everyone rave about, but left you ...

I've said it before on here but I'll say it again - In the restaurant business, it takes months to make someone a regular, and about 15 mins to lose them. The bad thing about OC is most people (other than locals) only travel here once or twice a year, so if you just happen to hit a place on an off night, or get that one particular severer that's having a bad day, you could walk away with a bad impression of what is normally great place, and chances are you won't be back...

I've had many polar opposite experiences at some of the above mentioned places and will continue to return to them.

Probably the 2 places that just don't get it for me are La Ha, sorry, but I've been to different regions of Mexico over the years (as recently as last Thursday) and this food is not only not authentic, but it's just plain flavorless. Also Dead Freddies - I know a lot of people like it for taking the kids (my son 8 yr old loves it) went here when they first opened, and gave it another shot about a month ago.... I don't know what I should order here, I ended up pouring wing sauce over a seafood wrap, just to make it taste like SOMETHING. What do you get here? Wings??? I don't know... I've been let down by other places, but these are 2 that I just can't figure out where the good reviews are stemming from.

Sand Dollars

Here's the funny thing about this topic: This can be a dangerous and misleading discussion. But it's still a good one. Most of the "disappointing" meals at these restaurants are a "one time" thing. Maybe their best chef or cook was off that night so the food wasn't that good. Or maybe one of the waitresses was in a car accident that night and the other wait staff were a bit shaken. I agree, there are bad/disappointing restaurants in OC, but again, I think you have to go to any restaurant at least 3 times to make a good judgement.

OCBeachBob, I think the same can be said about the flip side of this. Some nights, a consistently mediocre restaurant just gets everything right and someone has a spectacular meal/experience. This can be misleading.

Nevertheless, I enjoy this topic, especially when some gives a restaurant a good that I've had a bad experience at. It always convinces me to give it another try.

Sand Dollars

I've heard so many good things about the Shark I'm surprised to hear the disappoitning reviews here. I have never been but would like to give it a try this summer. Maybe just for lunch.

Sand Dollars

The Shark has never disappointed us in the many years since it was in Ocean City (both places and now out in WOC. I would have to go with LaHacinda, Liquid Assets, and The Hobbit (not that any one raves about that one!)

Pines Girl
    Sand Dollars

Crab Alley, Phillips, and Higgins.

Sand Dollars

Dumser's ice cream

Hooter's chicken wings

and ... Uber's bagels

Sand Dollars

Ember's

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by highball

No question about it the Shark! Have given it at least 4 tries, but no more. The place is down right dirty. But the food has been great. Have to wonder whats going on....

You must have gone in the daylight. When we were there it was so dark it was hard to even read the menu, so I didn't notice the dirt.

Sand Dollars

Dean to answer your question we usually get a bunch of appetizers and a wrap at Dead Freddie's. But we stop for lunch only right when we get there. I do agree I am not wild about the menu choices but after driving that far the kids enjoy the play area, we enjoy the layout and the food is good.

For us the place that everyone likes and has not worked out for us is the sunset grille. A lot of folks whose opinion I value love this place. We have had only so so results. like Dean mentioned about Dead Freddie's I don't know what to order at the sunset grille. Its mostly dishes that I don't typically order. I have had the tempera lobster and thought it was good, but rather small. The only thing I really enjoyed is the drinks. Maybe I could just have the wife drive then I could enjoy more drinks and then enjoy the food more.

Surprised to see Liquid Assets make the list for folks. Always one of our favorites to go to sans children.

Even with what has been written we still have the shark on our to try list.

brianpa

Sand Dollars

Seashell---Usually around 6pm---so yea it was still daylight. Maybe there is a reason why they keep it so dark!!! Ever think of that?