+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Which restaurant does everyone rave about, but left you disappointed? Would you try it again?

The forums have introduced me to many great places in Ocean City and the surrounding area. Since my vacation time is limited, I want to make the most out of the time I have and will generally only try one or two new places a year.

My great disappointment last year was the Lobster Shanty. Before we left, I read many positive reviews and was looking forward to trying it. It was a huge let-down. Nothing spectactular about the food and the service was the worst we had all week (the place wasn't busy -- we didn't even have to wait for a table).

Everyone in our party agreed that we had no desire to go back. What did we miss (besides our server)?

Sand Dollars

Re: Which restaurant does everyone rave about, but left you ...

Generals Kitchen. After all the hype, I convinced my riding buddies to go there for breakfast one morning. It was average at best.

Sand Dollars

For us, it was JR's Ribs. We went a few years ago in October. The service was not that good, the food was even worse. I'm sure it could have been an off night but we've never tried to venture back to give them a 2nd try. For me, there are far too many choices in OC to go back a 2nd time to a place that disappointed me the 1st.

On a positive note. I must say that we've tried many places recommended on this forum and so far, they've all been exceptional.

Sand Dollars

Dead Fred's - Food and service was below average.

Frog Bar - This is more my problem but not a place to take a 3 year old

Sand Dollars

Phillips......Phillips......Phillips !!!!!!!

Sand Dollars

This is an excellent question Brookie.

Over the years there has been a bunch of disappointments but most seem to still be terrible from reading on these forums. Reflections, Bon Fire, Jonah and the Whale, the Angler, Victorian Room at Dunes Manor.

Some I'd be willing to try again but others not soo much. we went to Harrison's Harborwatch years ago. I was young, my Dad didn't like it so we never went back. I'd like to retry this as an adult.

We stayed at the Duner Manor for many years and the food was hit and miss in the restaurant. The food in the bar was good which came out of the same kitchen but was more simpler things (sandwhichs hamburgers, potato skins). I would go back and try it again. They have a great great view of the ocean. It's nice for breakfast but they dont serve grits whish was big for my family.

I'm sure there's more but I'd have to think about it some more.

Sand Dollars

2 of them, years ago.

First was the Dough Roller. Worst pizza I have ever had in my life. We ordered it to go and when we took it back to our room we were disappointed when we opened the box. For $18 we expected a larger pizza and one that didn't look like Tony's brand frozen pizza let alone the same size and worse taste. The 4 of us didn't even finish our slices and since we had our dog with us we decided to let her have the scraps. I am telling the truth when I tell you that our 4 legged garbage disposal didn't even finish what was given to her. I ended up putting the box with the rest of the pizza out in the hall where everyone else left their trash. An hour later the box was gone though. Not sure if staff cleaned it up or some drunk picked it up. It was a huge let down.

Last year we decided to try them for breakfast because so many here raved about their pancakes. My wife was against going because of the pizza experience from years ago. I talked her into it despite our reservations. The service sucked as it was virtually inexistant. It seemed like if we wanted anything we had to get up and find someone to get it for us. They were not really busy at the time (70th St.). After being there for 20 minutes before they took our order we decided on the blueberry pancakes, banana pancakes, and chocolate chip pancakes. I found my pancakes to be very 'gritty' and without flavor. My wife said her pancakes the same and my 15 year old step son who eats half a dozen of chocolate chip pancakes everywhere else didn't finish his because he said the chocoate 'tasted weird'. The waitress never brought us our drinks either. Asked for them twice and still never showed up. Asked for the bill from another person and that showed up with our imaginary drinks on the tab. Paid the bill and I told them I'm not paying for the drinks as they never showed up. Strike 2....we're never going back.

Another let down was for me was Higgins. I had a surf & turf style meal containing a N.Y. Strip and broiled crab cake. The whole platter just tasted really, really greasy. My wife ordered crab legs and she said the 'texture' was rubbery. We may go back in the future, but right now there are other places in O.C. that deserve our money more than them.

Sand Dollars

Phillips definitely. But even worse was the Shark. Sat waiting for almost 2 hours even with a reservation. Food was cold and the Voodoo wasn't good by 11 at night and service was lousy. I wouldn't go back. It's a lot of hype with little to back it up.

Sand Dollars

Same old Same old around here.

How about a post on which place exceeeded expectations?

Lol, I know, no fun

But for me like Johnny's Pizza, Hubba BBQ and Plaza Tapitia all are way better than I thought.

Now back to the bashing I know its more fun.

PS..Liquid Assets & Galaxy..shhh

Sand Dollars

No question about it the Shark! Have given it at least 4 tries, but no more. The place is down right dirty. But the food has been great. Have to wonder whats going on....