Thread: de Lazy Lizard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: de Lazy Lizard

Went there today to grab a cold one after work, saw some old frineds. I like the layout, speaking with Benny who did most of the construction he says the only thing they are waiting on are permits to put in finget peirs for boat dockage.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhan

BTW one owner is Wayne Odachowski brother of Matt who owns Royal Plus. Wayne owns some consrtruction company but I cant recall the name.

Theres a Lazy Lizard Florida....

I thought they are cousins? Wayne, Matt and Mark. I know Wayne bought the property from BJ's and sat on it for a while hoping to build condos. Justin (as far as I know) owns the restaurant and owns Coins but maybe he is leasing the land. I don't know.

All I know is it was built in 91 days accoring to Benny and Justin. That's quick.

Sand Dollars

-

LuvOC
    Sand Dollars

I hope they make it, but I doubt they will. The place was built way too big - kind of reminds me of Castaways. You are going to need one hell of a lot of people in that place to make it "feel" busy.

Not sure of the relationship of Justin and the Odachowski LLC that owns the property. Did Justin buy in to the property or is he just leasing it? I hope for his sake he is just leasing - that way he won't lose his ass when it goes under in a few winters.

The LLC that bought the land in 2005 for 5.2 mill consists of about 10 or 12 players. My thought is that this $5.2 commercial loan balloned this year and the bank said pay-up or provide us a plan. The land is not even worth close to $5.2 mill - maybe half if they are lucky. Also, they just tacked on another $1 mill or so to build the bar and the liquor license - that is a big bet if you ask me. Too much leverage in a risky industry.

I wish them the best, but something doesn't feel right. Somebody is going to owe someone a lot of money sooner or later. Hopefully, this young man Justin wasn't conned into buying over his head.

Also, why is the bar completely open? Won't they lose a lot of business in the fall, winter and early spring when the weather is cool outside? You would think they would want to extend their season for as long as possible?

Best of luck to all involved...

Sand Dollars

Okay.....if what is there is what was expected to be there as the finished product and to carry the restaurant for years to come, my opinion is that it will fold. Reading some of the blogs above at least answers the questions I had when I went on the "soft" opening on Sunday. The fact that they finished it in 91 days is why I think it needed at least another two weeks to take the rough edges off the place. The table I sat in outside was totally rough and the ends had not even been cut straight or sanded. My bare arms were constantly feeling the "fur" from the new lumber and it was annoying. The location is superb but the management as it showed at start up is lacking the knowledge needed. As Chef Ramsey always tells the $ man on his shows, you own a restaurant and have no clue on what it takes to make it survive...not a good thing for sure. Other issues my wife and I had were: 1. We stopped by Sunday morning while riding bike and met the "manager" (I assume) in the bar to inquire about the place, he told us that there was a "soft" opening Saturday and Sunday and all items were to be discounted 40% before the grand opening on Monday. Well, that made us try it for sure on Sunday and the first thing we were told was that the 40% was not being honored...BIG MISTAKE when the "manager" informed us earlier otherwise. 2. The owner did stop by to say hello which was nice but when he mentioned the burger bearing his name I asked if it was good and he had no clue as he never tasted it...BIGGER MISTAKE, how ludicrous is that? He should know EVERY dish on his menu but the dish named for him is a no brainer. 3. The waffle fries were flavorless and tasted at beat like waffle potatoes and at $5.99 that is not good at all (Thrasher's has nothing to worry about; or anyone else for that matter). 4. The fish tacos are in need of a major overhaul already. The fish looked like frozen breaded fish cakes that were just cut into pieces and slapped into the shell. The only flavor I got was from the sauce which was overbearing. 5. The crab cakes will never earn the title for the best in OC with that recipe...way too typical and uninviting. 6. The inside tables and bar area were so uninviting I can't believe that was the look they wanted. It looked like a picnic pavalion with non-picnic prices. Put a bar shelf across the opening overlooking the bay and put stools there so patrons can take in an excellent view. The tables are so low you can't really enjoy the view. 7. Formula for disaster? It looked like too many relatives or friends onsite and not really adding to the opening and probably grabbing freebies along the way; better management of the operation is needed and fast. 8. I know it is called the lazy lizard but the mascot lizard needs to be upbeat and getting the crowd upbeat not walking around looking half dead...lazy does not mean sad or depressed....be HAPPY and Upbeat like the music was and the crowd was if you want to add to the fun.

We will wait a bit longer then usual to go back to see if things improve, but someone (should be the guy with the $) should actually sit back and truly observe what is happening in the place. Plus get the contractors back and finish the place properly...a rushed opening is not good if you want the customers back who will be the regulars. It is not a restaurant yet that deserves to serve the food it does for the price they charge. It really won't take much but immediate attention is needed in my opinion. My wife asked me if I am a food critic and my answer was "Yes, I am a food critic everytime I pay someone else to serve me food". I wrote this much because I feel it can be a true success in OC but not if things don't change. It needs an experienced manager that can and is able to make changes quickly. First impressions go a long way.

We will return (at least one more time) and I will update my words as needed. Good luck.

LuvOC
    Sand Dollars

I believe the "rushed" opening was due to financial reasons. A LOT of money is owed on that property and they probably needed to show the bank some sort of progress...

Sand Dollars

tczop,

I didn't come away with your perception at all. Their atmosphere is no different than Fish Tales, Mr Ducks, or any other outside bar. I cannot comment on the quality of the food because we did not eat, however, the prices are almost identical to other similar OC places. As I posted above, the open buildings are perplexing but I'm guessing that they will put up plastic windows or shutters like Fish Tales. Also, Fish Tales is far superior to de Lazy Lizard but they too had to start somewhere. I think you're being over critical or holding them to a different level of standard. We went to Fish Tales, Mr Ducks, Harpoon Hanahs, and Lazy Lizard so far and all 4 were very similar in atmosphere.

Lastly, the place is not big at all relative to other outdoor places in OC.

Sand Dollars

Hi Terp,

I disagree and stand by my opinion. The atmosphere is much different then Fish Tales as I see it and I agree they all have to start somewhere. The atmosphere and the POTENTIAL for the Lizard are excellent and may become a huge success which I hope does happen, I just feel that telling them it was great is not realistic and will not make them improve. If I owned a restaurant and didn't have a clue of what the menu really taseted like I would be ashamed of ME; especially my named burger. Prices are similar for sure but the food TASTE is not the quality of the others you mention which is what I am paying for. Again, I am not trying to bash the Lizard just make them aware that at this critical stage of a new opening...truly observe what is happening and ask the patrons how it is AFTER they dine not as they are sitting down to order. The best information the owner can get is a true critique from all patrons. Mine is mine and others may feel totally different. Afterall, the number one business that fails is the restaurant business and I would like to see a success in this case...truly.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum

As I posted above, the open buildings are perplexing but I'm guessing that they will put up plastic windows or shutters like Fish Tales. Also, Fish Tales is far superior to de Lazy Lizard but they too had to start somewhere.

They plan to put up windows that zipper up and down before the fall when they get some money. And really know comparison to Fish Tales. That property and the Hotel that is now their parking lot has a soul to it, and been in the Harman family for years. Fish Tales has been around for years, they just added to it less the 5 or 6 years ago.

Sand Dollars

Justinoclazy
    Sand Dollars

Hi everyone, I am Justin and I just wanted to introduce myself to this online community. I didn't know this existed until today. Someone told me I had to check it out. So here I am. After reading all of the comments I tend to agree the majority of them. I want to say that I appreciate the spirited conversation that is on this page. I have owned bars and restaurants since I was 23yrs old, and I have found it next to impossible to get an honest opinion from anybody especially a negative one. So I will try to answer as many questions as possible but in bulleted form because my grammer is aweful.
    • Yes the bar was built and open in 91 days. That is obviously good and bad. The tables were built in 2 days by the kitchen staff. As far as the furniture goes, I wanted picninc tables but I didn't want to have benches on them, I think they are uncomfotable. I am a big guy and I like to relax, so outdoor chairs with arms was a must for all tables. As far as the table tops, they are rough but that is on my list to fiix tomorrow.
    • That brings me to the flaps. Which is a great story. Platic flaps are apparently an exact science. The flaps can't be ordered until the place is done. Trust me I want them here just as bad as everyone else. I am told it will be about a week or two
    • So if you were here yesterday I apologize if the food went out wrong, but it is fixed today. When you have a large restaurant and have to rely on computers( which need fixed) it makes things tough. Please remember it is our first week. There is no bank beating us down or anything like that, we just felt that we would have adequate time to prepare for the Grand opening, but believe it or not it was our hood system that held us up. So we had 2 days of soft openings before our grand opening. I definately would have cancelled it if we had not already had all of the advertising for it.Finally to the food. it is awesome. Well, once I fix the crab dip tomorrow it will be awesome. But everything else is good. The fish for the fish tacos has been replaced. The first fish we got was junk. I know this may sound wierd from a place on the water, most of our food is hand prepared daily from fresh ingredients. Try the mottz logs they are a meal itself. As for the crabcakes it is a proven reciepe that has been around for 30 years. They are made with the largest lumps you can get. as far as the set up and the decor and stuff. It takes time to put stuff on the walls. Also, we definately need more bar rails and high top tables that will be here Monday.
    Lastly, this place will succeed. To many good people work here to have it any other way. I look forward to seeing all of you come back, even the ones who had a bad experience, I still see that you are willing to give me another chance.

I am always here, so ask for me, I love input and I love making things better.

I know I didn't touch on everything, but I am out for now. I have got to catch up on sleep.

Visit us on Facebook to find out all of our nightly drink specials and see pictures