Thread: Scoot Coupes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: Scoot Coupes

Several years ago when living in Delaware, my brother got a speeding ticket in Ocean City. I'm not sure how fast he was going (it wasn't anything dangerous -- probably 10 over), but he got it in a 35 mph zone. It was a weeknight in December or January, so while 35 mph is logical in the summer, I'm sure it can be a bit tedious in the off-season when you can drive from one end of town without hitting too many lights.

hapnstance

I don;t worry about other motorized vehicles half as much as I worry about pedestrians. I'm in OC more frequently now and see what a pain in the ass they are. I was driving down Baltimore Avenue a few weeks ago and almost ran a young lady over who just walked across the street without an ounce of concern for her safety. She just thought traffic moving at 25 mph with a green light was just supposed to stop for her. As far as drivers I urge them all to use a little common sense: 1) a right turn from the left or center lane is never a good idea. 2) OC has U-turns at lights for a reason. 3) They call it a "blind spot" for a reason so don;t park your little car in my SUV's. 4)Because I see it from them most often: Pennsylvania and Delaware drivers.....left lane FAST, right lane SLOW. If you want to go 10 mph under the speed limit get the hell out of the way. 5) Running roadblocks are a pain in the ass so get over. I'm still kind of miffed as to why everyone has a problem with scoot coupes versus any other form of motorized vehicle, but that's just me. God gave us brains for a reason.

Sand Dollars

Well Hap I must say I agree with you. As one who drives up and down the HWY daily it is bad. And while pedestrians have the right of way when crossing Baltimore ave I have never seen so many people just walk out in front of moving vehicles in my life, it's even worse in downtown Rehoboth with Bethany being a close second.

In terms of the scoot coups I still think there is more to the story then not being reported. If we remember last year;

A) Proprietor of scoot coupe rental company seeks permission. Asks the local PD, no problem. Asks the DMV, no problem. Asks everyone else he could think of before investing money. Gets verbal approvals all around.

B) Opens up shop in 2010 and was quickly closed down by the PD.

C) Threatens to sue.

D) This year they are mysteriously approved.

Fast forward to this season where there are many places renting them. The PD is looking for an angle to shut them down. "We feel the engines are too big" and they go and spend tax payer dollars on a machine to determine engine size. They don't provide stats on how many were involved in accidents, they don't have any evidence of them speeding up and down the highway, they have nothing to base this claim. They even indicate they took one for a test ride and couldn't go faster then 25, and they rented it from the one place they felt WAS in compliance. Then the PD says they are dangerous because they couldn't drive over handicap curbs very well. ??????? What? Who drives OVER sidewalks and up on handicap curbs?

Why didn't they test those they feel have 150cc engines? Why are they spending money on equipment to measure engine size? What qualified mechanic does the town employ to dissasemble an engine and put it back together correctly? Who has the time and resources to do this and are they just going to go on a hunch to justify taking one off the street and tearing it apart?

Just to be clear I hate the scoot coupes but c'mon. The town could simply ask the owner(s) of these scoot coupes to provide the Certificate of Origin. This CO lists the manufacture, the brake HP, the vin# and the engine size. Every scooter gets one and every scooter has a vin #.

Seems like a waste of time, tax payer dollars to buy equipment looking for a problem that doesn't exist. And if it does exist and they "think" some have 150cc engines check the paper work! The town is just trying to apply heat and don't know how else to go about it, so they spend money time and resources instead.

In My Opinion.

Sand Dollars

[quote=lbo]

Then the PD says they are dangerous because they couldn't drive over handicap curbs very well. ??????? What? Who drives OVER sidewalks and up on handicap curbs?

It would be the same assholes who park illegally in handicapped parking spots.

Sand Dollars

If you don't think driving a pretty go cart down ocean highway in a lane constructed for busses and bicycles, you need your head examined. I'll go one step further and say you should not be driving a car, truck, scooter or whatever.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by lbo

Then the PD says they are dangerous because they couldn't drive over handicap curbs very well. ??????? What? Who drives OVER sidewalks and up on handicap curbs?

Quote Originally Posted by bar2008

It would be the same assholes who park illegally in handicapped parking spots.

They're actually driving on sidewalks now?? Has anyone even seen this? I don't even like when regular old bikes are on the boardwalk when its busy, zigzagging in and out between people at top speed. You never know when a child might take off and be in the path of somone who can't stop in time.

hapnstance

Noone has still answered the question: WHAT MAKES THESE ANY DIFFERENT THAN SCOOTERS OR BICYCLES? The town of OC itself says they don't travel anymore than 25 mph. Bicycles, scooters or scoot coupes don;t belong on the sidewalk anyhow so that entire argument is absolutely moronic. So what, they're glorified go carts. I'm sure your chances of survival are far better in a scoot coupe than a scooter. And, Terp, it's buses, bicycles & SCOOTERS. I just don't understand what the big damn deal is. Don;t get me wrong, I don;t think bicycles, scooters or scoot coupes belong on Coastal Highway, but I just don;t see the point that one is any better or worse than the other.

Sand Dollars

Who gives a crap? This is a resort. They are not going to band bicycles! And bicycles are harder to see/hear than scooters of anykind. And thats the way it is----so live with it......Geeeeeez wizards.

hapnstance

Terp, I usually agree with you, but on this one I just can't. OC will never ban scooters because it would ruin dozens of businesses. Bicycles are much harder to see for a number of reasons. You can't hear them and because of their profile you can't see them as easily. Would you rather have scooters and scoot-coupes in the travel lanes? Talk about a traffic and accident nightmare.

Sand Dollars

I actually think the state is going to ban scooters but that's just my opinion. What I mean is that I believe the state will classify all scooters as motorcycles and will require licenses, insurance, and gear. We can just agree to disagree. How fast do you think the buses go in the bus lane? Faster or slower than scooters and coupes? OC should really have dedicated bicycle lanes-lesser towns do.