Thread: Scoot Coupes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Scoot Coupes

Scoot Coupe Concerns Aired In Resort
    August 12, 2011
    Written By: Joanne Shriner, Staff Writer

OCEAN CITY – Scoot coupe rentals are warned to obey state law or by next summer Ocean City will take action.

State law requires scoot coupe motors to be no larger than 50 ccs, which wouldn’t allow the scooter to go any faster than 35 mph. The scooters are allowed to drive in the bus lanes on Coastal Highway.

Sgt. Doug Smith pointed out that there may be a safety hazard in scoot coupes being regulated to obtain a 50 cc motor. He explained that by taking a 50 cc scoot coupe for a test drive he found it difficult to maneuver over handicapped curbs located at every intersection and crosswalk around town, and in order to drive over the curb from a complete stop he would have to place the scoot coupe into full throttle. He added that with his body weight he could only get up to the speed of 22 mph.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT!!!! This is just what you want.... everybody speeding up at crosswalks and intersections! THAT
    won't cause any "safety hazards"..... not at all.

Sand Dollars

Re: Scoot Coupes

Death traps. Ride at your own risk.

hapnstance

Playing the devil's advocate here, but I would like to know how many scoot coupe accidents there have been this season and what caused them. I don;t see any more of a hazard in scoot coupes than I do with some of the motorcyclists driving on Coastal Highway, weaving in and out of traffic, doing wheelies, speeding, etc. I just don't see the point of singling out a specific form of transportation as dangerous when Coastal Highway is an accident waiting to happen anyhow.

As long as we're on the subject I was recently driving down Coastal Highway and the Police had someone pulled over. It struck me that I never really see any speed limit signs. So on my next trip out I made a point of looking for them. On my second trip I finally caught sight of a couple. If the intent of enforcement of the speed limit is safety then paint the speed limit in the road every ten blocks so drivers can see it. Of course, we all know that "speeding" tickets in OC have never been about safety, but about revenue generation.

Also, if you want to cut down on accidents do the same thing with street numbers every few blocks.

Sand Dollars

I agree with you about the lack of speed limit signs Hap. They are practically nonexistant. Of course, that might be the exact thing they want in OC in order to justify handing out tickets at every chance. If you're not familiar with OC and a new visitor it takes a good while to figure out how people drive down there. It took us two summers! And to be honest, I've been coming there for over 20 years and I still couldn't tell you what the speed limit is on Coastal. What is it? And is it the same from the inlet to Delaware?

Sand Dollars

Going south it's 40MPH from 146th to ~33rd where it's then 35MPH. Around 16th Street is where it drops to 30MPH and it's 30 down Philadelphia Ave all the way to the inlet. Going north on Baltimore Ave from the inlet it's 30MPH. At 16th where Baltimore Ave becomes a 2 way road and it changes to 35MPH. That's where you can also turn left and get on Coastal (at English's) and it's 40MPH going north. There are no traffic lights on Baltimore Ave between 16th and 33rd and I find it to be a nicer ride when there is no traffic then taking Coastal HWY.

I am pretty certain about those speed limits, could be wrong.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by lbo

. There are no traffic lights on Baltimore Ave between 16th and 33rd and I find it to be a nicer ride when there is no traffic then taking Coastal HWY.
    I agree it's a much nicer ride, the key phrase here is "when there is no traffic"... mid day is fine but if you hit that intersection at 33rd around 6:00pm you might be backed up for a bit. + there is something about that intersection that makes people lose their ability to drive. People can't figure out how to make that right turn and stay in their own lane... (Pa, and Md. tags alike)

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by lbo

Going south it's 40MPH from 146th to ~33rd where it's then 35MPH. Around 16th Street is where it drops to 30MPH and it's 30 down Philadelphia Ave all the way to the inlet. Going north on Baltimore Ave from the inlet it's 30MPH. At 16th where Baltimore Ave becomes a 2 way road and it changes to 35MPH. That's where you can also turn left and get on Coastal (at English's) and it's 40MPH going north. There are no traffic lights on Baltimore Ave between 16th and 33rd and I find it to be a nicer ride when there is no traffic then taking Coastal HWY.

I am pretty certain about those speed limits, could be wrong.

Would you repeat that in English please? LOL Good heavens that's confusing! No wonder there are so many tickets given out. Just when you think you're obeying the law..........you aren't!!

Thanks for clarifying. I only hope I can remember all that!

Sand Dollars

Here's an easier way to remember;

If there is a dedicated bus lane to the right, speed limit is 40MPH

If there is no dedicated bus lane and traffic flows in two directions then the speed limit is 35MPH.

If there is no dedicated bus lane and traffic is moving 1 way the speed limit is 30MPH.

Pretty certain, and I also like taking St. Louis Ave to avoid the lights as well.

stahli
    Sand Dollars

We witnessed a scooter accident on Coastal Hwy when the driver tried to make the U-turn illegally.

bozi007
    Sand Dollars

Asics Trainers

Bozi007 : 01
    Asics Shoes role
    According to the survey understand Asics Trainers busy people today, few people stopped the hands of the living, to their feet stretch their legs and a spare time? American Foot Medical Association found Asics Shoes. Asics Running Shoes feet and remove the gap between the increasing degree of fit. Today, many Chinese fans are increasingly concerned about the NCAA Tournament, also gradually have their own favorite school team. Clean, comfortable, soft insole. Onitsuka Tiger Shoes in the bottom of the slip and shoes for the supporting role played a decisive role, Asics Shoes UK in the lines on the soles have been more scientific to strengthen, Asics Shoes Online for athletes in running sports in the protective effect obtained enhanced. California 78 Onitsuka Tiger shoes with a different color circle of the Asics Ultimate 81 Sneaker anti-slip soles sprained medial part, this position is what the inside of the human foot in motion the ground position. From the outside, Asics shoes Watch the periphery of the visual surface of the nest with a process to extract the essence of China's periphery is designed, the pace can be clearly seen in the human body like a piece points, according to medical sites in the human body, and taken to different The foot plate styles for different people to wear. From the exterior you can think of Asics Japanwithin the practicality of shoes, leaving the nest in the process of adoption of the Ministry of fresh air permeability, plate design is to make people both in sport or any other state in the kind of comfort.