+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ziggy55
    Sand Dollars

Re: 2011 Dining Report

Dean I was hoping to read this before we went to OC last week because I hesitated to try Lobster Shanty and now wish we had!

We went to De Lazy Lizard and I agree with everything you said about the guy at the door. Also what's up with them asking for your license as collateral to get a pager? I have never seen that before and was quite aggravated. Is that even legal? With all that goes on about identity theft I was quite taken aback but went along with it because it took us FOREVER to find a place to park. After all the BS it was quite good--enjoyed sitting in the aidrondack chairs by the water while waiting, and the wait wasn't too bad. The service was great and the food was really good.

I'm glad we passed on DaVinci's! We almost went there one night because we had been there before, it is close to our hotel and loved the calamari and the food we had was great. We decided against it and went to Captain's Galley instead and that was a good decision--everything was delicious there as always. Crabcakes are to die for.

One place we tried that we hadn't been to in MANY years was Fenwick Crabhouse. I know it's not in OC but it was fantastic! We will definitely go back there next year.

It is hard to get back to real life after such a great week!

Sand Dollars

Thank you everyone.

NY-MD, I have to admit that I do remember YOU (and others) raving about the crab cakes at Coins years ago in this forum. That coupled with some recent good reviews of the place was a lot of the reason we gave it a try this year. I believe you would not be disappointed with The Captains Table.

Bar, I'm glad you liked the report.( Ironically I really did gain 5lbs that week!) If someone else felt it deserved a negative point, so be it... it is of no concern to me.

OCGuy, you can not continue to post under THAT profile name until you try the Shark! You're missing one of the best restuarants in OC!!! All kidding aside thank you, for your high praise of my report, and your many contributions to this forum.

dctech, you're welcome! I try to provide as much info as I can. It's a little hard sometimes because generally a week go by before I get a chance to write it, and this is all done from memory.

OC Melanie, you're welcome! I'm glad you liked the reviews. Let us know if YOU try the shanty.

brianpa, thanks. I'm a firm believer that places in OC go through cycles....I'll be interested in hearing your take on these places after your visit.

tczop, if I didn't know better I would think the Lizard suffers from absentee ownership, but both times I've been there the owner HAS been there... I don't get it...

Z, thanks. I almost feel bad promoting the shanty like this considering this is the "OC forum" and the Shanty is in Fenwick...

Mink, thank you. We really loved The Grove, and like I said it will be an every year event from now on... The Globe has been on my bucket list for a while, glad it has your blessing.

Ziggy55, Sorry I know you were one of the ones that PM'ed me from over on T/A. I tried my best to get this typed up as quickly as I could,(before your trip) but believe or not this actually takes a good bit of time for me to write a report like this.

Seabreaze
    Sand Dollars

Ever since we read this review we've been calling the grove and left several msgs. Today they finally answered the phone and we were able to get reservations for our upcoming trip. (we had to take an earlier seating but no biggie) Now, the only problem I have is I forgot to ask about the dress code! Is my husband fine with a polo & dress pants? I plan on calling them back to ask this question, but I don't have much luck getting them on the phone and figured this would be much quicker.

hapnstance

The fact that someone answered the phone is a miracle in itself. Don;t worry about the dresscode. Nice pants and shirt will suffice.

Sand Dollars

This is a great review. I'm really feeling the need to visit Fish Killers now. My "to eat" list this year is getting out of control!

Sand Dollars

I've been to The Grove 3 times, all in the off season. I've never been disappointed. It's hard to get into, and some don't like the "If we don't call you back you don't have a reservation" attitude, but I really enjoy the food and service there.

Sand Dollars

As much of a fan as I am now of this place, I have to agree the hoops you need to jump through to get a reservation are a little annoying... but like OCGuy said once you're there the food and service are great.

As for the dress code - I saw some people in suits and ties, I wore dress pants and a dress shirt, a polo would probably be fine. I really don't know if there IS a dress code....

Sand Dollars

We asked when we went to The Grove the first time what the dress code was. They just said they perfer people not to wear t-shirts. We joke about that because our waitress was wearing a t-shirt! I usually wear kahki pants and a polo shirt. I've only been in the fall/winter so I have not worn shorts, but I would wear a nicer pair of shorts if I wnet in the summer.

Sand Dollars

If you get into the Grove for dinner make sure you are behaved and tip accordingly. Thye have a nice little box that they keep cards in that the servers write notes on. I can guarentee if you are a good customer, your reservations request will be granted the next go around. Enjoy and have fun!

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by ImightKnow

If you get into the Grove for dinner make sure you are behaved and tip accordingly. Thye have a nice little box that they keep cards in that the servers write notes on. I can guarentee if you are a good customer, your reservations request will be granted the next go around. Enjoy and have fun!
    Great! NOW ya tell me... I can't remember if I made them under my first or last name!!!