+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Sand Dollars

Re: Street Performers vs. City Hall

Just caught up on this reading. This is an interesting (and for the most part civil) thread. I have to agree with lbo and hap on most of this stuff. My only contribution is this: the American Dream is not dead, but being a street performer will not get you there. It will not pay your rent or put food on your table, whether regulated or not. I feel like I'm living the dream...with a college degree, a master's degree, and a doctorate. After graduating from college in 1996, I spent the next 12 years of my life in night school, often taking 4 hour classes after 11 hour workdays. I missed dinners with my family, soccer games, family vacations. I spent many weekends in the library writing papers. I worked my rear-end off by day and at night, and over the past few years, it has all paid off. I am at the point in my life where I can afford and enjoy weekends and vacations in OCMD. I am not saying that you need a doctorate or even a college degree to live the dream, but you need to put yourself in a career that has growth potential, and work harder and longer than everyone beside you to get ahead. Bobby, I believe that making balloon animals for tips could be a great hobby. Playing the guitar, doing magic tricks, doing henna tattoos would be a great way to bring in a little extra cash on the weekends. But it is not a business...it is not a career. There is no growth potential. It will not pay the bills. Do it to see the smile on children's faces. Do it to make people happy, whether they tip you or not. Do it because it makes you happy. Don't do it to make ends meet. You will be disappointed. I really like the street performers and think they add character. I am as generous as possible when we get a balloon or see a magic show. That will change if you put up a sign detailing your prices. I will walk on by.

Sand Dollars

montegoman,

I applaud your hard work, and your determination to advance both yourself, and your education. It's amazing, most people don't reach the level of academic accomplishment you have reached. I am sad to say that a few people "walking by" is not enough to make up for the sad fact that I make more money charging a dollar per balloon than I do relying on people's "good fortune" in my experiment, I Have been charging 1 dollar per balloon, 1 measly dollar. My profits have incresed by about 30-40%, that's very sad really. The number of people that try to take advantage of the situation is far greater than the few and far between that throw a 5 in. Granted there are going to be some days I will miss those large tips, but the simple fact remains that when 4 or more children show up, I risk losing money on thier visit. it's a shame, but after more consideration, I do this for the money. It's not a HUGE amount of money, but it is enough to make my year work if I budget correctly. The overall goal is to have enough funding to spawn a larger buisness. One of the benefits of doing this however, is the kids faces. I never have refused a free balloon to a child, it's the adults and the teenagers that kill me, LOL. After Senior Week, I will probably go back to working for just tips, most of the time when a family comes, I just ask them to give me whatever they wnat to. Another thing I am going to do is probably leave for the winter. It's too hard here in the winter, with the lack of work, and the high prices on everything. We'll see how it all turns out, Happy Summer

hapnstance

I don't think anyone on this Board begets you making a living. I hope to see you this weekend.