+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: Street Performers vs. City Hall

MD is not a business friendly state. What I meant with respect to sales tax is now you're going to have to charge sales tax because in the eyes of MD, you are providing a taxable product (balloon). You will have to keep track of all this. Apply for a registration number and then submit these collected taxes quarterly to the state. I don't think the performers signed up for this when they jumped on the bandwagon.

As posted above, the street performers need to hold on to the status of performers so as to not be construed as a business. Everything that's going on is counter to this. Other than some of the location restrictions, I really don't see how all of this was going to negatively affect you at all.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by mcgruff

No need to defend yourself...some people on this board have a negative opinion of your trade long before they knew who you were...They post messages to you in a patronizingly superior manner...I agree with you after reading some of these posts...the one's that question you and your taxes I find laughable...

What is laughable about a business setting a fixed price for a product and/or service? How is a street performer that has a fixed price for their service or product any different then the brick and morter business in town? Lastly how has a street performer, working for a gratuity or donation, now all of a sudden classified and entitled to the same classification as a for profit business without having to go through the same regulations?

If there is no difference then why should a street performer get an exemption on the rules and reguations brick and morter businesses have to endure and pay?

Again, we have shifted our definition of a street performer (one who works for gratuity) to a for profit business. I would like to hear why one "for profit" business should be allowed to abide by a different set of rules and regulations then another.

It's really a simple question and if you can't or don't want to answer that then OK fine. It's worthy of a debate and would like to hear the reasoning behind the other side of the argument. If you are just taking sides for the sake of taking sides then don't answer.

Sand Dollars

ok the difference is that the product is a work of art. I am an artist and the medium is latex. That's the difference, it's a "personal piece of artwork" and that other court case is dealing with the sale of that being protected by the constitution. Now if I was "selling " t-shirts... that would be a different story entirely. As far as opening a store, it's not possible for me, I don't make enough money to do that, I really wish I did because that would be fantastic. What I want more than anything is to own my own store, my own business, the American dream, wish I got some of those incentives as an American that other people get..... and terp is right, performers definately didn't sign on for that part heh..

mcgruff
    Sand Dollars

What's the difference between one who works for gratuity and one who sets prices? If the street performer works for tips or set prices both are for profit business. Just because he works for tips alone does not mean he is not trying to make a profit. If the street performer makes more money on tips alone than he will not set prices..if the street performer makes more money with set prices this will reduce his tips...no matter the direction the street performers go both ways are a for profit business..the wording may be different but the end result is the same..how much money can I make to support my family. This is a business and street performers do it to make money..bottom line in my mind there is no difference between one who works for tips and one who works for profit...the end result is the same. The economic impact of street performers on boardwalk businnes is virtually ..nill. The taxes and the landlords represent the only reason most business fail..and of course the product they sell has to have value in the mind of the consumer.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by mcgruff

What's the difference between one who works for gratuity and one who sets prices? If the street performer works for tips or set prices both are for profit business. Just because he works for tips alone does not mean he is not trying to make a profit. If the street performer makes more money on tips alone than he will not set prices..if the street performer makes more money with set prices this will reduce his tips...no matter the direction the street performers go both ways are a for profit business..the wording may be different but the end result is the same..how much money can I make to support my family. This is a business and street performers do it to make money..bottom line in my mind there is no difference between one who works for tips and one who works for profit...the end result is the same. The economic impact of street performers on boardwalk businnes is virtually ..nill. The taxes and the landlords represent the only reason most business fail..and of course the product they sell has to have value in the mind of the consumer.

OK I can go along with that. With that being said how is a street perfomer working for profit protected under the guise of free speech?

If I wanted to drive a roach coach around town and sell artsy cheeseburgers and artsy frech fries should I have to abide by the same rules and regulations other businesses are required to adhear to?

Where do you draw the line?

mcgruff
    Sand Dollars

probably the roach coach would fall under the ice cream truck ordinances that most towns have..i'm guessing that no different and I haven't heard any ice parlors complain so I guess it's legal..the main problem is most of those businneses on the boardwalk pay so much in rent they don't realize the bad deal or taxes that must be paid...people that open up a businnes on the boardwalk no full well what there getting into..noone holds a gun to anyone head and forces someone to open a bussiness up there. They can be successful if they do there homework and have reasonable expectations for profit..The street performers have been up there longer than most bussinesses and are a real easy target for businnes owners. Most street performer probably don't have the financial backing to do anything about it. I have said this before ..get rid of all the street performers and the same amount of stores will fail...the lease, the taxes are the culprits...a more educated business owner is what is needed, not the elimination of the street performers..by the way I am not a street performer but I do enjoy what they do. just saying

Sand Dollars

I'm sure if these people you speak of who open shops on the boardwalk were free to conduct their same business at the end of N. Division Street paying no rent or taxes, I would bet 100% of them would do that. McGruff, you're simply missing the point.

Oh and sorry, Bobby. Balloons and t-shirts are pretty much the same. Slap some drawing on a t-shirt and it's "art."

Sand Dollars

Yeah I like the street performers too.

When they have a fixed price for a product or service it's no different then any other boardwak shop. If I spent the time, energy and resources to open a ballon shop would it be fair to me, a business owner, to have a "street performer" set up shop outside my front door? Knowing full well that performer doesn't have to pay exhorbanant fees or abide by the same rules and regulations I have too?

Is that fair? Currently and under the current regulations it's allowed to happen. Bobby could sell his product cheaper then I could.......... he wouldn't have the same expenses.

Street performers should do so for a gratuity, not a pre-determined price, and is what a busker does. Again, that is my hang-up. This creates an unfair advantage to the businesses that are doing the right thing and having to absorb the day to day costs of running a business when they need to compete with those that don't have to abide by the same rules nor face the same same expenses.

mcgruff
    Sand Dollars

I have been coming to ocean city for a long long time...if you were to open a baloon shop it would fail..the only way these street performers survive is because the product(singular)they sell can only be sold as a street performer..no business could survive with the products one street performer sells..you can pay anywhere from 75 dollar to 125 dollar a square foot on the boardwalk..there a reason street performers exist...no body in there right mind would open a baloon shop and expect to profit from it..What street performers provide is a secondary form of entertainment that could not exist as a stand alone business..if you don't like what they do that's fine and your right..but if you think street performers could sell there products as a business(brick and mortar) type..then they should just pack it up...extinction comes to mind. The truth is the public supports street performers and always have...if not they would not exist. The demand or lack of it ..will always dictate there fate..so far the public supports it and so do I.

hapnstance

I have nothing against Bobby or street performers. I want to make that clear. I tell people what I think. Part of the problem in our society today is everyone wants to pussyfoot around and be politically correct. If you're wrong I'm going to tell you your wrong and if your feelings get hurt I can't help that. There is nothing I type I wouldn't say to your face.

Myself and my family have treated every street performer we've come in contact with fairly, generously, and with respect. I understand what they are and what they are trying to do. I spent almost 10 years in parking lots at GD concerts selling T-shirts that I designed. I never considered myself a business because as soon as I did I was under the scrutiny of "the man" and it defeated the entire experience. I had no set prices, but I did have a minimum that ensured I would at least break even.

Unfortunately, I don't live in that world anymore, I live in the really world with a family, bills, taxes, 2 homes and every single solitary headache that goes with it. I work 60 hours a week and am ecstatic if I get the chance to play golf on Sunday. I also pay more than my fair share of taxes. For you to say that "wish I got some of those incentives as an American that other people get" is an insult to me and every other person in this country, born here or foreign, who have worked their asses off to run or own a businesses.

When was the last time you sat down and tried to come up with a business plan? Have you gotten together with the face painters, magicians.henna tattoo people, etc. to form a party business? I know 2 people who make quite a nice living doing just that. The truth be told the American Dream is dead so if your just hanging out waiting for it, good luck.

Bobby, you can't go through life pointing your finger at the brick and mortar businesses saying they don't pay taxes and this and that so why should I. You sell yourself short and it's nothing more than an excuse. Furthermore, I'm certain that's just an excuse the street performers use to justify a position and probably has '0' basis in fact.

Would you be willing to lease a 10x10 piece of Boardwalk to conduct your business? Not for the season, but for the year? Pay state and federal taxes on what you make? Hire the CPA you will most probably need to file those taxes? Pay for the upkeep of your 10x10 space? If you answered no to any of those you best just consider yourself a street performer and work for tips.

And, don't play the old "I'm just trying to support my family and stay off the welfare rolls, blah, blah, blah." Pandering to emotions has no place in this discussion. Trust me, you're not doing me any favors.