Thread: Camping

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    stahli
    Sand Dollars

Camping

Where is the best place to camp in Ocean City? Is there a campground near the ocean?

Sand Dollars

Re: Camping

You have several choices. We camp at Assateague State Park. They have hot / cold indoor showers and flush toilets. A few sites have electric but you better reserve 1 year in advance. The campground is nice, they don't tolerate stupidity. I do believe that MD State Parks have banned alcohol but as long as your not in their face or dumb with it, you're OK, they won't bother you. Assateague also has a national park but no flush toilets or hot showers. Outdoor cold showers and porta-pots. Frontier Town is a very nice campground with tons of activities and amenities. Fort Whaley is their sister campground about 10 miles west of OC. Both campgrounds are extremely nice but neither is on the ocean. There is also a campground called Castaways, formerly Eagles Nest. We rode through there and it seemed very nice and modern. Our preference is of course Assateague State Park. We've been camping there as a family for 13 years now. I've been camping there going all the way back to the 60's. If you reserve in advance, you can get an ocean side campsite, which I recommend due to mosquitos (or lack of) on the ocean side. Bayside is going to bad regardless. Ocean side varies with the wind. You also have a better breeze coming off the ocean on the ocean side.

If you want more details, please email me: sccaflagger@yahoo.com and I'll be glad to share with you what I know about Assateage and Fort Whaley.

By the way, Frontier Town includes a nice water park in the package. Fort Whaley does too but you'll have to drive or take the bus to Frontier Town to do it.

No matter what you decide, do it quickly because there is little chance of getting a reservation much past Memorial Day.

Sand Dollars

we checked the prices of camping, and omg,,they are expensive... almost as much as a room.

Sand Dollars

For places like Frontier Town, I agree. Assateague State Park is only $30.00 per night, of course you have to share your shower with 50 to 100 other people and side step the dark brown piles of sand to get to the bathhouse.

stahli
    Sand Dollars

But if you are a true camper, those things won't bother you! lol

Sand Dollars

Stahli: No to be honest, it doesn't but it is nice after 2 weeks to come home to your own house and not have to shower in flip flops. Assateague also has an awesome crew of volunteer camp hosts who assist with cleaning bathhouses and the dark brown piles that the ponies leave behind. We can't imagine spending our summer vacation anywhere else. You do need to book 1 year. They open the reservations for each site 1 year in advance so our first day, I'm usually on my cell phone trying to get through the reservations to get an ocean side campsite.

robdirk
    Sand Dollars

I've been to Assateague State Park and can't agree more with flaggerjohn. To avoid any headaches, if you have family members who aren't avid campers like ourselves, I would check to see if there are any accommodations they request (hot water, rates, etc.). I'll go anywhere really, as long as I'm allowed to have my rv flagpole I'm good to go!

Sand Dollars

You guys are all assuming the OP has an RV. Maybe he's just looking for somewhere to pitch a tent..........REAL camping! lol

And this thread is nearly a year old! But nothing has changed.

Sand Dollars

Im also planning to go camping aorund OC this yera. but im also looking at chincoteague.

Sand Dollars

We're going to give it a whirl this year for the first time ever as well during Endless Summer Cruisin. We can actually camp for free up in Leisure Point in Delaware but that is too far away, so I'm trying to decide between 3 campgrounds near OC.

After this weekend's "practice" and 3 mailbox replacements I'm also trying to decide which thing I'll miss the least when my wife wrecks it on the way there, I.E. My new truck with the 33' long camper behind it or my Monte Carlo. I'm a little nervous about her taking the truck through the toll booths at the bay bridge and especially concerned about winds while on the bridge. As for the Monte, I'll probably have to buy a pair of new tires for the rear at the least if it makes it down there in one piece. Last time she drove the car, the gas pedal only had 2 positions. All the way up and all the way to the floor.