Thread: Hotel vs. Condo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tfunky14
    Sand Dollars

Re: Hotel vs. Condo

I'm not saying either is better it all depends on your lenght of stay and number of people in your party. As for fees, I looked through Coldwell Banker, Holiday rentals, Shoreline, Condo Realty and VBRO and all have regristration fees and a processing fee. Some tack on a parking fee and internet fee if you want internet. Most hotels in OC offer that for free. All I'm saying is till you add, if any fees, your paper needs, your linens and any other items you need for a condo, it pretty much equals the same for a hotel.

And for resort fees, both condos and hotels charge that. It might not be on your statement but its in there.

Of course a condo will give you more room thus why it is a little more comfortable when vacationing in OC.

Sand Dollars

Condo all the way....I even found a condo where it operates like a hotel. All I have to bring is toiletries

tklt27
    Sand Dollars

I can not imagine anyone would not prefer a condo and thats what I used to do when we would pack 10-15 from my firehouse in one. However now its just me and my wife so a condo just does not make sense. Our room on the boradwalk is costing 900 for the week. It has 2 beds, cable, full bath, fridge, microwave and sink plenty for just us 2 plus a balcony overlooking the boardwalk. The Condo we used to stay in as a group ran over 2000 and that has been 5 yrs. So as nice as a condo is a motel just makes more sense for us. Also we go to OC to eat out so we would not be saving any money in that way.

Sand Dollars

I have to disagree with tfunky on the fees for condos. There will be some fees when you go through a rental company like Holiday or Coldwell Banker. When you go through VRBO, you are renting directly from the owner and it is up to each owner whether to charge/pass along fees to renters. There are many owners, myself included and it sounds like Hap as well, don't charge any fees on top of the rental amount. Many owners, myself included, also include all taxes in the rental amount. I'm not saying that renting condos are necessarily cheaper than staying at a hotel but like most other things, you get what you pay for.

Linens, paper goods, soap, etc are also supplied by some owners. We also provide beach chairs, umbrellas and toys for use at the pool or the beach. One thing you will get at a hotel that most owners don't offer, at least not at the beach, is daily maid service. Of course you will need to check with the individual condo owner their policy on fees and taxes and what is supplied with the condo (e.g. linens, paper goods, etc).

Sand Dollars

I always prefer a hotel efficiency room over a condo. When on vacation, we use the room to eat, sleep and shower ,so space is not that much of a problem. I do not wan to have to worry about cleaning a unit, bringing supplies and washing towels over the course of the week. We want to relax and enjoy the sun, surf and pool.

stahli
    Sand Dollars

We are trying a condo for the 1st time this year. Not thrilled about having to bring our own linens, etc. but the bigger living area, 2nd bathroom and seperate bedrooms make up for that.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by stahli

We are trying a condo for the 1st time this year. Not thrilled about having to bring our own linens, etc. but the bigger living area, 2nd bathroom and seperate bedrooms make up for that.
    Let me know how it goes. Im still on the fence with this one. Worried about the hidden fees and just the unknown. I found the Cayman Suites to be okay nothing great but a good price.

hapnstance

U get a chance to look at the contract before signing it. Not like it should be any big surprise. How do you feel about being able to do laundry or saving probably $500 on food? Just sayin.

tfunky14
    Sand Dollars

Either can be a good choice depending on your needs. This will be my first year renting a condo with the family, the Phyramid on 95th st. Looking forward to the extra space, 2 bathrooms and seperate sleeping area. Always hated when one person goes to bed all have to go to bed. Then in Spetember just the wife and I will rent a hotel room, again all depend on what you need. My only concern is the traffic heading to the boardwalk during the evening.

tfunky14
    Sand Dollars

Either can be a good choice depending on your needs. This will be my first year renting a condo with the family, the Phyramid on 95th st. Looking forward to the extra space, 2 bathrooms and seperate sleeping area. Always hated when one person goes to bed all have to go to bed. Then in Spetember just the wife and I will rent a hotel room, again all depend on what you need. My only concern is the traffic heading to the boardwalk during the evening.