Thread: Hotel vs. Condo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Hotel vs. Condo

I have never stayed in a condo in OC. I was wondering which one is better. A Hotel or a Condo? After looking at the prices it seems to be a lot cheaper, to stay in a Condo. Do you need to bring your own towel and stuff of that nature?

hapnstance

Re: Hotel vs. Condo

I rent my condos and require that you bring your own linen and things of that nature. I used to supply paper towels and toilet paper until I started going through box upon box a month. Even before I was an owner I much preferred a condo to hotel just because it was so much cheaper. Who needs clean sheets and towels everyday and food in OC is not cheap for 2 adults and 3 ravenous teens.

lifezabeach
    Sand Dollars

I prefer condos. We need room to spread out and like having large balconies to lounge on in the mornings and evenings. However, it is more work. You need to bring your own paper products and soaps, as well as linens and towels. For weekend stays, you would probably stay in a hotel. For a week long vacation, a condo is the way to go.

Sand Dollars

I agree with the condo choice for the same reasons. It just gives more room for sure and many options that a room just doesn't have. Plus you can get a condo with 1-3 bedrooms quite easily which is good with kids and family.

Sand Dollars

There are pros and cons to both.

With hotels you have maid service and don't have to bring anything more than your clothes. But you are limited to one room.......even if it's a big one. And we always make it a point to be out of the unit until the maid cleans. That can be inconvenient in bad weather.

We much prefer a condo. Yes, you do have to bring your own sheets and towels, but most units have washers and dryers so we usually just bring four bath towels and four hand towels and wash them when needed.. Same as with our clothes. I don't bring nearly as many. Just wash when dirty. Condos do provide pots and pans, dishes and silverware. We always take along some paper towels and plates and cups though. And toilet paper. The biggest advantage to condo over hotel is there is just more room and it's more like home. And if you want even more room, get a two bedroom unit.

It would be my choice.

Sand Dollars

Do you have anything for August time frame I'm thinking the 18 to the 21?

tfunky14
    Sand Dollars

It depends on how long your stay is and what you need. A family of 4-6 staying 5-7 days a condo would be a good option. Just a couple going for the weekend then a hotel room is all you need.

Price is deceiving because condos are not cheaper at all. Each unit has a regristration fee, a realitor fee, a on site fee, internet fee and some have parking fee. Its a wash, you just about pay the same for 5 days if you rent a condo or a hotel.

hapnstance

Have to disagree with you. I have none of those fees. The major cost you will incur on your visit is food. OC is not a cheap place to eat. As someone who used to rent and now rents most people prefer condos for exactly this reason.

Sand Dollars

I've never had to pay any fee other than a $60 processing fee renting through Coldwell Banker. For anything other than a weekend, I'd recommend a condo.

Sand Dollars

Each unit does not have a parking fee, internet fee and registration fee. Yes... the bigger buildings on Condo Row and throughout town might have these, but most do not.

And I have to say that when I have paid those fees, I do see something that I'm getting for them -- security personnel, parking attendants, etc. In addition, most of these larger buildings have on-site maintenance staff so that money goes to them -- and that can be a good thing if your air conditioner breaks down in summer.

The place we are staying this year (the same as last year) does not have any fees, but we don't have any of these additional services, either. Of course, if you are going through a realtor, you are paying that fee...but that's part of the deal.

I'm curious -- are any of the hotels in OC charging resort fees? Those can be fun surprises added on to your hotel bill if the places aren't upfront about them.