Thread: Breakfast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Sand Dollars

Re: Breakfast

Dough Roller - Decent breakfast, kids love it. great pancakes, eggs, omlettes, etc.

Happy Jack's - Also very good, similar to the Dough Roller

Bayside Skillet - Specializes in crepes and omlettes (may not have anything else) - portions are huge. They did not used to have a kids menu, so usually you had to have two kids agree on something and split it, but I think they may have added a kids menu when I was there last year. Fresh squeezed juices, and fresh fruit on the crepes.

Also consider the Satellite on 46th Street (bayside) - They are a good coffee shop type breakfast place that I always enjoy. My kids like it too.

annie 79
    Sand Dollars

Yeah you're right Ibo. I guess most places do use a water mix. I guess just hearing it didn't drum up thoughts of homemade goodness lol. But I use water mixes here at home so Happy Jack's is back on my list as well as Rio Grande.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by lbo

Quote Originally Posted by annie 79

Ok 4 places. Going to check out the Satellite as well since I've read so many good things. Happy Jack's water mix? Mmm, maybe not as interested anymore although I'm sure they have other things. Thanks OCguy and terp84alum.
    Don't let a "just add water" pancake mix throw you off, most all (if not every) restaurant use something from a box including LHoP I would guess. For anyone up town I still recommend the Rio Grande inside the Econolodge on 145th. Best breakfast in town IMO.

Yes no one uses Add Water Pancakes and No one uses asian crab meat and no one recooks yesterdays buffet crabs...

Elbow I'm surprised, I would have thought you would have seen the inside of Rio's Kitchen before....makes me want to just have drinks there....to each his own.....on a breakfast note however it looks like Crab Bag is stopping breakfast and Blue Ox is now open at 4 PM and JC's never got around to to do it......If I was JC's I'd start selling hot douighnuts to the people in line at the prune....Breakfast is touchy for sure....You either get it or you dont

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum

True. I was just surprised that HJ had the stuff for sale at the front register and one of the items was Krusteaz, the stuff you can buy at regular grocery stores.
    Food trivia: Did you know why it's called Krusteaz? Because they wanted to call it EZKrust but they couldn't use that name. (Company originally made pie crust)

Quote Originally Posted by OCBeachBob

Yes no one uses Add Water Pancakes and No one uses asian crab meat and no one recooks yesterdays buffet crabs...

And all Italian resturants make their homemade pasta from scratch!

Quote Originally Posted by OCBeachBob
    Elbow I'm surprised, I would have thought you would have seen the inside of Rio's Kitchen before....makes me want to just have drinks there....to each his own.....on a breakfast note however it looks like Crab Bag is stopping breakfast and Blue Ox is now open at 4 PM and JC's never got around to to do it......If I was JC's I'd start selling hot douighnuts to the people in line at the prune....Breakfast is touchy for sure....You either get it or you dont

I don't see anything issue with cleanliness, or un-sanitary conditions there. If you eat inside it's cozy and friendly, but a seat outside is bliss.......... especially if you want to wash it down with a crush.

True about breakfast, you either do it and do it right or you don't do it all. I can't count the number of places that have tried and failed. I still miss Coach's Corner and can't understand why places like Generals is so busy. Speaking of Generals, my number two breakfast recommendation would be Jimmy's Kitchen just across the line in Fenwick. I like Bayside Skillet too, limited options and expensive but it is good. Either Layton's (93rd or 15th) is good as well and they have been doing it a while. Just my opinion.

stahli
    Sand Dollars

I think everyone probably does use an "add water" mix for their pancakes. I know I do at home, and then I just add a few extra touches such as vanilla, lemon juice and a bit of sugar. They can add their own twist to make them special.