+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Sand Dollars

Re: big changes for street performers

Anway I am going to refrain from posting my opinions anymore about this, because it's just aggrivating, I am going to go sit on the boardwalk, and mind my own business, and hopefully make it through this summer without getting shut down and losing the money I invested in materials for this season. I am tired of being disrespected and treated like a bum or a panhandler, or whatever you wanna call it. It comes with the territory I guess, and I sorta knew what I was getting myself into when I Started. Wouldn't have ever started doing it if I could have found a job last year. But I coudln't find one, because they were all taken by the 50 million people that come here with big dreams and job offers that don't exist. Then the city will sell 555 permits again this year, and wonder why we are crowded and having problems. Then the shop owners will complain, then the performers will fight with each other over space, and it will just be the same things all over again. I hope that when I go south to Florida (My in-laws are helping my finance a house) that I can get set up down there, and never have to take another tip again in my life. I plan to go back to college and study internet marketing. I hope to never wait a table, or humble myself to someone so I can eat ever again. If there are any kids on here reading this, stay in school, don't grow up like Bobby

Sand Dollars

Bobby I think you hit the problem right on the head. 555 permits for a 3 mile long stretch of sand. That's the biggest reason there's a problem right there.

Sand Dollars

and Z06RL..out of the 555 permits how many will be truly entertaining to the masses on the BW? If it's like the past couple of years the quality has dropped significantly.

Sand Dollars

Where do you draw the line between what an entertainer is and a person that is actually marketing a product? Bobby walks that fine line-his wife crosses it. I would venture to bet that there is less complaints about the performers who perform music or magic.

While I don't have a business on the boardwalk, I am a business owner. I can sympathize with business owners when they have to start competing with these "street performers" who are basically selling like items right outside their doors.

Before you start trashing the town, recognize that this is a messy issue. I think they see the value of street performers but would rather not have the peddlers. I can agree with this. I assure you that they are in no way violating anyone's constitutional rights.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by tczop

and Z06RL..out of the 555 permits how many will be truly entertaining to the masses on the BW? If it's like the past couple of years the quality has dropped significantly.

Exactly. Like I said earlier, the whole issue is just a mess. Now that all of the chickens are out of the coop, it's kind of hard to herd them back in. This whole thing could have been avoided in the very beginning by making an ordinance that only allowed maybe 50 tops. And they would then be made to pay a permit fee that would bring some income to the city, and have strict guidelines as to what is considered a "performer". Balloon artist....yes. Magician...........yes. Musician............yes. A PERFORMER!

BUT.......a. it has gotten out of hand

b. it's too late now

c. there are too many of them to reasonably enforce it.

They should have to have a permit though and be able to produce it upon demand. Just to be sure they are in compliance. Will anything change? I seriously doubt it, just because it has become too big.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL

Bobby I think you hit the problem right on the head. 555 permits for a 3 mile long stretch of sand. That's the biggest reason there's a problem right there.

If my math is correct, that's 1 permit/spot every 28.5 feet

Sand Dollars

Technically if you use the 3 mile thing, which the boardwalk is actually not. But it comes down to one about every 8 yards. That's a lot of bombarding by people with hands out.

hapnstance

I think the boardwalk would be alot less fun without Bobby and the other "vendors." However, I sympathize with the business owners also who are paying business taxes year around. I'm all for everyone making a living but if someone is selling a product outside my shop and pays $200 for a license and I'm getting gouged for business, property taxes, etc. I would be pretty p-o'd also. I see both sides and will bet t-taters to tinkertoys this whole issue has something to new with taxes and the new Boardwalk.

Sand Dollars

Council postpones decision on street performer restrictions

(April 22, 2011) After weeks of discussing a plan to restrict the locations of street performers on the Boardwalk, the Ocean City Council opted instead to put off its decision for a month so it could investigate whether the restrictions were appropriate.

This surprise decision delighted the handful of performers in the audience during Monday’s council meeting, as they were expecting something to the contrary. Some argued that the proposed restrictions would violate the performers’ First Amendment rights to free speech and they were pleased that the city realized that might be the case.

The council wanted to restrict the location along the Boardwalk where the performers could put on their acts to a list of specific spots between 6 p.m. and midnight. They proposed holding a weekly lottery for the designated prime spots.

The artists contended that this was too restrictive and violated their rights of free speech and free expression. After researching the matter, Councilman Doug Cymek said that might be true.

On Monday, the council was poised to vote on the performer restriction until Council President Jim Hall asked for a 30-day extension to give the council more time to research the issue and see if it could come up with a proposal that would withstand legal scrutiny.

“We’ve found loopholes and other things that need to be addressed,” Hall said.

He asked that the current street performer rules remain in place during those 30 days, meaning the performers could set up anywhere along the east side of the Boardwalk at any time of day.

Cymek said he has looked at court cases involving street performer restrictions in other areas of the country and he found that judges have ruled that holding a lottery for the space is a direct violation of the First Amendment.

“I just don’t feel comfortable moving forward until we have [City Solicitor Guy] Ayres do some research on this,” he said.

Councilman Brent Ashley said the performers should be included in the discussions and he suggested setting up a committee of city officials, performers and police to work on a new set of rules that everyone could support. He and Cymek volunteered to represent the council.

“Let’s see if we can’t make this work out,” Mayor Rick Meehan said.

GarminForerunner

During the course of my time on the boardwalk, I became friends and associates with several local business owners on the boardwalk. I would say in my experience that 85% of the shop owners I dealt with on a daily basis, had employees that were under the table, from other countries,

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11