+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: big changes for street performers

dang of course I missed it. I have talked to so many people about this myself, and almost everyone is against it that I have spoken with, but they might just be saying that becaus of who I am. I am so worried about this, and I don't see how it benefits anyone. For every point that they try to address, I have a conflicting opinion and I just can't help but think, becasue the nature of how silly the ideas are, that they just don't want us out there in general. I don't think it has anything to do with noise ordinances, or public safety routes. I think they just don't want us to be there, and that local business have complained, because they see someone making money and they get jealous. I have been in several problems with local shop owners, and they actually feel that I am taking business from them. Well actually this only happend one time, with Bruce the owner of the T-Shirt Factory. We were friends at one point, but then he just would get more and more resentful. The t-shirt factory chain makes more money in one day than I will make all year, I don't understand what the problem is.. it's just upsetting. I know Tony raised a lot of hell from Tony's pizza too, because of the street performers on Division street, You know the bottom line is that the tax collected on hotel rooms was up last year, but the restaraunt taxes collected were down by like 25%. I don't think a guy doing a magic trick had a lot too do with that. But hey what do I know? If I was educated I would own my own store that doesn't pay taxes on thier workers, and charges mark-ups in the 1000's of percent on products that infringe on copyright laws. I know it's not fair to generalize about this, but I can think of a strip of stores in my head, between 6th street and 7th street, where only 2 stores, paid taxes on the workers. I am not making this stuff up, I knew both the owners and the employees. It's all a bunch of hogwash that just makes me sick to my stomach. I wish the city would go investigate that stuff, instead of picking on me. ( /rant off )

mcgruff
    Sand Dollars

why would city vote for the ordinace before letting street performers voice there own thoughts? Thats alot of work to go up to city hall everyday and register for the lottery system in the summer season........the city knows very few performers will do this.

Sand Dollars

Is there a copy of the proposed ordinance, with definitions, available online anywhere?

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum

Is there a copy of the proposed ordinance, with definitions, available online anywhere?

Best I could find on line, part of the Council Meeting coming up;

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by mcgruff

why would city vote for the ordinace before letting street performers voice there own thoughts? Thats alot of work to go up to city hall everyday and register for the lottery system in the summer season........the city knows very few performers will do this.

I can certainly see all sides of the issue on this one. The point McGruff raises is a good one, was there an opportunity for the performers to be heard? If not then maybe on March 29th at the Council Meeting before it's too late!!!

I like cruising down the boards on foot or bike and see a magician, or hear good music hear and there. It's when it becomes everywhere and some aren't even performers. Wasn't there a foriegn kid who was arrested and charged with groping a minor, or exposing himself or something? It becomes an issue without some guidance and guidelines it could get out of hand and the town is just trying to address it without thinking it through.

I symapthize with Bobby and appreciate the insight. Sounds as though the town should hear from the performers themselves. Looks like it's on the agenda for March 29th Council Meeting, maybe you should attend.

It's on Page 150 of the Google docs link

MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 12:00 p.m.

Download Full Packet (9MB) - Also available on [img width=122 height=30]http://oceancitymd.gov/img/docs_logo_sm.gif[/img]

Closed Session – Tuesday, March 29, 2011 – 12:00 p.m.- 1:00 p.m. – Legal, Contractual and Personnel Matters

1. Report on Closed Session – Tuesday, March 29, 2011 – 12:00 p.m. – Legal, Contractual and Personnel Matters

2. Follow-up Presentation on Pension Plan Options
    Presented by: Mary Jo Gary, Mercer

3. Presentation on Marketing Plan
    Presented by: Andy Malis, MGH

4. Report from Tourism Advisory Board Concerning OC Experience
    Presented by: Melanie Pursel, Chair Tourism Advisory Board

5. Discussion of Planning Commission Recommendation Regarding Site Plan Approval Authority
    Presented by: Blaine Smith, Zoning Administrator

6. Discussion of Repairs to Ocean Bowl Skate Park
    Presented by: Thomas Shuster, Recreation and Parks Director

7. Discussion of Rotating Surfing Beach Schedule
    Presented by: Thomas Shuster, Recreation and Parks Director

8. Discussion of Proposed Changes to Street Performer Regulations
    Presented by: Guy R. Ayres, City Solicitor and Kathleen Mathias, City Clerk

9. Resolution Establishing Taxi Fares
    Presented by: Guy R. Ayres, City Solicitor

10. Approval of Taxi Medallion Transfer
    Presented by: Kathleen Mathias, City Clerk

11. Recommendation of Bid Award for Vehicle Vending Franchise
    Presented by: Kathleen Mathias, City Clerk

Sand Dollars

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that midnight is just a bit late for street performers to be out?

Sand Dollars

Point 3 is interesting.

Sand Dollars

Actually, the first thing that came to my mind was..... "What?.... Why can't I have a job that involves putting numbers on an aerial pic of the boardwalk???"

But anyway.... midnight does seem a little late, but if you're staying right on the boardwalk, you're probably already planning on having a lot of extra noise. That's why we stay way up on 88th, because we're gettin' old and enjoy the quiet

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum

Point 3 is interesting.

LOL! Seems like that would produce exactly what they're trying to avoid! And if you're allowed to just go there, why would you pay $10.00 for a lottery win when you can just go there for free? The whole thing is so badly thought out that it's almost getting ridiculous. Wow! Are the people who thought all that up the ones running the city? Scary.

Sand Dollars

I went down and spoke to the clerk Mathias personally today. It appears as if they are changing the ideas again, and that no matter what, if you buy a permit, you can perform north of division street. They are only raffling the lower streets, south first - n. division. haha, which is kinda funny, because they are going to push everyone up into the thinner part of the boardwalk. I admit 4 people per street in the inlet, is just rediculous, but this could probably be avoided by not issuing 555 permits in a year.. dunno just my thoughts. But anyway, we can all go out every day now, and you can run until midnight (I never stay that late, nothing but trouble after 10pm. It's a lot of drunks and hecklers at that hour, and the answer is "No, I will not make you a replica of your private parts, your obviously intoxicated and need to lay down." ) Anyway..on a more serious note, someone from NPR (national public radio) called me to set up an inteview about this. Apparently also, the Civil Liberties Union has taken an interest as well. I will keep you posted as usual.