+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: big changes for street performers

I have a question, and Bobby can probably answer this one the best. I'm wondering if part of the problem is that foreign students are coming here without a guaranteed job and when they can't find one, just decide to "dress up in costumes" and become street performers. I get lots of questions from students from Russia and Croatia, etc, asking "where can I find a job" or "who's hiring". I know there was an issue a while ago where they were trying to pass a law that required that foreign students HAVE a job before the student visas were given out. But I don't know how that went. But anyhow, that's my question. Is that part of the problem?

Sand Dollars

I'd find a loophole if I were Bobby. What if you hooked up with one of the businesses and just said you worked for them? Are you no longer classified as a street performer. Your best bet is a loophole.

Sand Dollars

Having been a life long visitor to the boards myself, I have to say I agree with pretty much everything said in the above postings. I also wrote a letter the day I created the original post, but I've yet to receive a reply (big surprise huh?).
    There has definitely been a increase in street performing on the boards in recent years, however I've never noticed this being a problem, and keep in mind this is coming from someone who visits the city every year on the 4th of July! If it's not a problem THAT
    weekend then when is it?????

If anything I believe the recent increase of this type of entertainment has ADDED to the quality of the boardwalk experience - not taken away from it... I'm sure there were some residents (business owners) who issued complaints but I do not believe the average tourist find this to be a problem. AND, ( based on the feed back in this thread) I've seen nothing that would suggest otherwise. Council and Mayer need to start worrying more about what effects tourism and less about gripes from business owners.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum

I'd find a loophole if I were Bobby. What if you hooked up with one of the businesses and just said you worked for them? Are you no longer classified as a street performer. Your best bet is a loophole.
    I think this is an excellent idea. That would also attract business for the store since after the crowd is finished watching you, they might be more likely to drift into the shop.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum

In theory, that sounds like an excellent idea. But then, would the company have to list him as an employee? Would they have to pay unemployment tax for him? Federal tax records? I know that all sounds silly, but there very well could be proof required from the city by the company that he supposedly works for.

It's just a mess and a very stupid idea having a lottery. How about the traffic every morning at City Hall?? If 300 street performers show up every morning for the lottery where will they all park? Will they hold the lottery in the parking lot every morning?

I think Bobby had the best solution. An even better one would be that the performer be required to be a full time OC or MD. resident and have to provide proof of residency by means of tax records for the last 3 years or so in addition to a higher license fee.

But those are just my opinions.

Sand Dollars

Ahh sorry I haven't responded sooner. I was in Severna Park, my brother in law had a major operation and needed some help.

There are a few of us going to city hall, and they struck it from the agenda last week. It's hopefully going to be up at the next meeting (the 4th of April I believe at 6:00). I am on my way now in fact to speak to clerk Mathias (it's Kathy, not Jim). She's the one with the propositions. It's a touchy thing, and I have been in contact with people, but of the people I know that are regular performers (that are local), only like 3 people can make it to the meeting.

Z, there is definately a major issue with the foreign kids, and dressing up in a costume because there is no job for them when they get here. They want to get as much of the "non performance" type things off the boardwalk. It's just a big ol' mess, but the last 2 times I went to city hall and felt the situation out, it seems like they are "reconsidering" some of the recommendations at the moment. Because some of it, is just really silly. I agree that they need to address some issues, but one can't help but feel they just don't want the performers out at all. Sigh, I am going to attend the next meeting and make my voice heard, if they make it to the point where they only need one more vote to pass it, I will put the online petition up.

Thanks for your support and involvement everyone. I will keep you posted with whatever information comes up.

Sand Dollars

Ahh sorry I haven't responded sooner. I was in Severna Park, my brother in law had a major operation and needed some help.

There are a few of us going to city hall, and they struck it from the agenda last week. It's hopefully going to be up at the next meeting (the 4th of April I believe at 6:00). I am on my way now in fact to speak to clerk Mathias (it's Kathy, not Jim). She's the one with the propositions. It's a touchy thing, and I have been in contact with people, but of the people I know that are regular performers (that are local), only like 3 people can make it to the meeting.

Z, there is definately a major issue with the foreign kids, and dressing up in a costume because there is no job for them when they get here. They want to get as much of the "non performance" type things off the boardwalk. It's just a big ol' mess, but the last 2 times I went to city hall and felt the situation out, it seems like they are "reconsidering" some of the recommendations at the moment. Because some of it, is just really silly. I agree that they need to address some issues, but one can't help but feel they just don't want the performers out at all. Sigh, I am going to attend the next meeting and make my voice heard, if they make it to the point where they only need one more vote to pass it, I will put the online petition up.

Thanks for your support and involvement everyone. I will keep you posted with whatever information comes up.

Sand Dollars

Will you be out and about Easter Weekend?

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by rgoodman35

Will you be out and about Easter Weekend?

Depends on if this gets pushed through fast or what, if not I will be there at some point. The hotel will be SLAMMED so I have to do the breakfast / brunch buffet first for certain, then maybe afterwards I can come.

Sand Dollars

Bobby WBOC just had a story about this on the 10PM news (CH 21-2 OTA). I bet they will repeat the story for the 11:00 news on channel 16 when basketball is over. They interviewed a lot of people, some for some against.