+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: New Boardwalk coming beginning this fall = poll

DeanM, thanks for the compliment on OC knowledge. I've come to OC my whole life, and studying its history, including unusual things, has become a bit of a hobby. I too would not have believed how deep the seawall went if I hadn't seen the picts (but it took me some time to figure out where I had seen them and find them so I could post them here). If anyone out there has any off-the-beaten-path sources of interesting OC history info, please point me to them. The OC library has a great collection information that relates to OC history.

The concern about rubble is that in a a bad storm the wave action would tear up any concrete east of the seawall and slam it into (or possibly over) the seawall damaging or breaching the seawall. Before major storms (especially August or September hurricanes) the city will sometimes collect lifeguard stands, trash cans, and beach boxes from the beach so they don't get washed away. To protect the seawall and dune, as part of the agreement related to beach replenishment, I believe the Army Corps of Engineers (who were partners in the replenishment) has to approve anything permanent built east of the boardwalk, seawall, or dune line. This came up when Joe "Ocean Gallery" KroArt wanted to build "Boathenge" on the beach near 2nd Street a few years ago.

The power of the wave action and a storm surge in a big storm is pretty amazing. I've got a pict and a story somewhere related to one storm, I believe the 1962 one, that eroded all the sand around a motel's concrete pool and then transported the entire pool, intact, to the motel's parking lot. It is a very cool pict. If I can find it I'll post it in the history books thread.

Sand Dollars

OCGuy,

That was the Seascape Motel on 17th Street. If you ever walk by it, you will notice a large "plaza" in front of the hotel where Francesco's Pizza and a novelty shop are. That is where the pool USED TO BE. If you walk through a small corridor around each side of the stores, you will find the swimming pool on the back side of the building, where the parking lot used to be. We stayed there a few times. My parents stay there every year for Sunfest. They learned about the pool from several individuals who work at the motel. Pretty amazing.

Sand Dollars

That makes an abundance of sense OCGuy.

Sand Dollars

I've gotten us off topic, but here are the picts I promised. Turns out my memory was off a bit, or perhaps I was recalling an exaggerated account I read somewhere. The pool was destroyed, but did not get moved, intact or otherwise. Britt is right, the pool was at the Seascape and was eventually rebuilt elsewhere on the property.

These picts are from the Baltimore Sun Sunday Magazine of April 15, 1962.

Here you can see the ruined pool in front of the Seascape. It remains in place, but the deck and east side is destroyed and surrounding sand is eroded away. You can also see the completely destroyed boardwalk.

Here you can see the pool from another angle.

Sand Dollars

Wow!!! Let's hope and pray that OC never sees any storms like that ever again!

Sand Dollars

If you read the history of OC, storms are the way it evolved. Pretty interesting read.

Sand Dollars

Wow, great pics OCGuy!

I couldn't help but notice that the deck old Santa Maria, is not there in the pictures. Does anyone know if it too was destroyed by the storm, or did it not yet exist?

stahli
    Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by OCGuy

DeanM, thanks for the compliment on OC knowledge. I've come to OC my whole life, and studying its history, including unusual things, has become a bit of a hobby. I too would not have believed how deep the seawall went if I hadn't seen the picts (but it took me some time to figure out where I had seen them and find them so I could post them here). If anyone out there has any off-the-beaten-path sources of interesting OC history info, please point me to them. The OC library has a great collection information that relates to OC history.

The concern about rubble is that in a a bad storm the wave action would tear up any concrete east of the seawall and slam it into (or possibly over) the seawall damaging or breaching the seawall. Before major storms (especially August or September hurricanes) the city will sometimes collect lifeguard stands, trash cans, and beach boxes from the beach so they don't get washed away. To protect the seawall and dune, as part of the agreement related to beach replenishment, I believe the Army Corps of Engineers (who were partners in the replenishment) has to approve anything permanent built east of the boardwalk, seawall, or dune line. This came up when Joe "Ocean Gallery" KroArt wanted to build "Boathenge" on the beach near 2nd Street a few years ago.

The power of the wave action and a storm surge in a big storm is pretty amazing. I've got a pict and a story somewhere related to one storm, I believe the 1962 one, that eroded all the sand around a motel's concrete pool and then transported the entire pool, intact, to the motel's parking lot. It is a very cool pict. If I can find it I'll post it in the history books thread.

Wow, it's amazing just how powerful Mother Nature is!

stahli
    Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Britt4duke

OCGuy,

That was the Seascape Motel on 17th Street. If you ever walk by it, you will notice a large "plaza" in front of the hotel where Francesco's Pizza and a novelty shop are. That is where the pool USED TO BE. If you walk through a small corridor around each side of the stores, you will find the swimming pool on the back side of the building, where the parking lot used to be. We stayed there a few times. My parents stay there every year for Sunfest. They learned about the pool from several individuals who work at the motel. Pretty amazing.

I've stayed there before too and never knew that. Fun piece of history.

stahli
    Sand Dollars

great pics!